Post-Game Talk: Yet another dumpster fire in Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When will the Devils learn to stick handle the puck?
When will the Devils learn to pass the puck effectively?

Without the basics, this talentless team ( not all) will continue to struggle.

Go Devils

When will they learn to clear the zone?

When will they learn to win key face-off?

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Refs sucked tonight, but poorly timed penalties are a trend for us right now.

I hope you are not suggesting that the refs were the cause of this loss. If you are, that rediculous. They saved a goal against for the Devils. As for poorly times penalties that's on the Devils players and coaches.

Go Devils

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
All extremely good questions as are mine. The answers fall on Ray for lack of good players and Hynes and his coaching staff's coaching skills.

Go Devils

A lot of us knew that Ray needed to add a few proven vets to this roster to keep the teams trajectory moving forward

The lack of additions set us up to take a step back.

Though early in the season and the return of Bratt should help a little , this current roster does not have enough horses.

Reactions: Maine Fan

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
A lot of us knew that Ray needed to add a few proven vets to this roster to keep the teams trajectory moving forward

The lack of additions set us up to take a step back.

Though early in the season and the return of Bratt should help a little , this current roster does not have enough horses.

Proven vets can mean a lot of things. Lovejoy and Boyle are proven vets. The team doesn’t need more of them. He team needs more talented players. Getting top six or top four quality proven vets is hard absent overpaying or a cap casualty. I don’t see a team moving a true 50+ point 2C for McLeod right now. Or even McLeod plus any other player on Binghamton. For Smith maybe but why give up on him when he is exactly what the team needs on defense in the future? Shero has given several interviews where he has talked about primarily building through the draft and not taking shortcuts. Unless you think Shero should have offered 12.5 to JT it’s unclear to me what available moves would have really made a difference for NJ.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
A player can't perform at high levels if the talent is there. We don't have enough good players.

I chose to disagree with you.

Go Devils

it depends on how you look at it. we have good players (and prospects) compared to 4-5 years ago. now, are they actually “good”? that’s a different question which is much more difficult to answer.

so people remember the ruutu, tootoo, ridditdiddiddoo bullshit teams and are maybe now being lulled into a false sense of security, overvaluing our guys simply because they’re better than what they’re used to. just a theory

Reactions: Maine Fan

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The goalie stats say otherwise
It's funny how you only use stats when they fit the point you're trying to make, but won't use them in regards to Mrazek, Wedgewood or whatever goalie with very poor stats that you've hyped up.

But I do agree, the Islanders goaltending has been better, but I think Greiss is just on a hot streak. Lehner is probably better than either goalie we have.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We made the playoffs with a nearly identical roster last year, so unless you think John Moore was our secret weapon that single-handedly drove us to success the it's clearly a coaching/execution issue.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It's funny how you only use stats when they fit the point you're trying to make, but won't use them in regards to Mrazek, Wedgewood or whatever goalie with very poor stats that you've hyped up.

But I do agree, the Islanders goaltending has been better, but I think Greiss is just on a hot streak. Lehner is probably better than either goalie we have.

Sorry my man, stats don't lie.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Team is showing some disturbing signs in these losses. Soft with no battle or urgency outside of a few guys who show up every night. They made Detroit look good last night, which is saying something. Starting to look like less of a momentary backslide and more so a habitual state of mind and lack of discipline.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry my man, stats don't lie.
I don't disagree you on the Islanders goalies (I don't think Greiss is good, but he's playing well this year so far), just pointing out how you're using numbers, yet you refuse to acknowledge the poor numbers when talking about a guy like Mrazek.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We made the playoffs with a nearly identical roster last year, so unless you think John Moore was our secret weapon that single-handedly drove us to success the it's clearly a coaching/execution issue.
This is what I said all along. We were lucky to make the playoffs with the mediocre goaltending we had last year and I said if it happens again this year, we might miss the playoffs. I think we were a decent team last year, if not a solid one (not a great one) but goaltending almost caused us to miss the playoffs. It needs to be better this year or it might be our downfall.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And Zacha is certainly one player that while he wasn’t amazing last year, he was certainly providing some decent third line rate scoring last year. I’m pretty sure he didn’t have a 10 game pointless streak at all last year. If anybody has disappointed and regressed from last year’s team I’d say it’s him and Noesen. Those are the only two who have been significantly less than what they were last season.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

It's the defense in front of them. I liked both of those goalies' games when they played for other teams. The difference of Halak behind the Isles and Halak in Montreal or Boston is pretty striking as well.

Trotts is getting through a bit.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The difference between last year and this year is preparation and motivation.

You had a team that was blistering out of training camp, motivated to show the world they weren't going to be a last place team, and a WHOLE bunch of kids trying to prove themselves.

This year, we weren't on fire in the pre-season, the kids are all a sophomore step slower (except for guys who are pure motivation, like Coleman) and everything else is the same.

Last year EVERYTHING went as good as it could've gone from top to bottom, and went it didn't because of refs or whatever, it was a rallying cry.

When we got full of ourselves, we regressed into running on 'talent' alone, and January happened.

The overconfidence just happened a bit earlier this year after that game smoking the caps... and now we are getting up and taking our foot off of the pedal and getting cute with 1 goal leads and stupid lazy plays.

These guys will pull it together, but it really has to be EVERYONE pulling together on EVERY night for this team in order for us to win.... + Taylor Hall being amazing.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is what I said all along. We were lucky to make the playoffs with the mediocre goaltending we had last year and I said if it happens again this year, we might miss the playoffs. I think we were a decent team last year, if not a solid one (not a great one) but goaltending almost caused us to miss the playoffs. It needs to be better this year or it might be our downfall.
I think goaltending has been better (not last night obviously, but KK has generally been strong). Problem is the forwards aren't continuing their play. Noesen, Gibbons, Boyle, Wood, Zacha, and Coleman all provided decent secondary scoring last year, Coleman is the only one carrying his weight this year.

Honestly, the only player on this team that look to have improved from last year are Palmieri, Zajac, Severson, and Coleman. Nico had a great start but looked overwhelmed the past few games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think goaltending has been better (not last night obviously, but KK has generally been strong). Problem is the forwards aren't continuing their play. Noesen, Gibbons, Boyle, Wood, Zacha, and Coleman all provided decent secondary scoring last year, Coleman is the only one carrying his weight this year.

Honestly, the only player on this team that look to have improved from last year are Palmieri, Zajac, Severson, and Coleman. Nico had a great start but looked overwhelmed the past few games.
I think Wood and Boyle have, but Noesen hasn’t at all and Zacha has been less than a ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad