Yet another beginner skate fit question

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Got another newb question. How close should my skates fit in the ankle/upper area? I tie them tight enough in the top few lace eyelets that I can get proper ankle bend so my knee can get over my toes. The uppers aren't super snug around my ankle and I don't feel like I'm getting enough ankle support e.g. when crossing over, when I get on my outside edge my ankle as a tendency to flop over to the outside. Should my skates be tight enough on the uppers to reduce sideways ankle movement or is it just an issue of my ankles not being strong enough yet to support my fat ass at that angle? Could my skates be baked with a tighter wrap around my ankle, or is it a case of suck it up princess, get stronger? Skates are Bauer Supreme One.6 (a month old), I've been skating for about 3 months.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Continue to work on your skating and your edge work. Your ankles will respond and should strengthen over time. I would suggest you get your skates baked though. It will allow a nice wrap around your ankle providing more support. Most stores won't let you leave without getting them baked after purchasing, so get them done sir.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Continue to work on your skating and your edge work. Your ankles will respond and should strengthen over time. I would suggest you get your skates baked though. It will allow a nice wrap around your ankle providing more support. Most stores won't let you leave without getting them baked after purchasing, so get them done sir.

thanks, I'm going to try and do some ankle stretching exercises to help out

I had them baked when I bought them, perhaps they need to be done again?

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012

Side shuffles and cairioca exercises are great for lateral ankle strength. YouTube it. One bake session should suffice but if you think you need a better wrap, go for round 2.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

He's right, you're too green. Just keep skating, you won't know what works until you get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad