NHL Entry Draft: Yet another attempt at a mock draft

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
1- Colorado : Jones, D

Despite Joe Sakic's comments, I sincerely believe Seth to be the player the Avs will ultimately draft and a perfect case of ''BPA meets team needs''.

2- Florida : MacKinnon, F

Given the need for top-end skill at forwards for Florida and past chemistry between Huberdeau and MacKinnon, this is an easy choice to make at #2 overall with Jones gone.

3- Tampa Bay : Drouin, F

While it's true that there have been rumors of Tampa being interested in Nichusckin, I am convinced that Drouin, with his skill, speed and tremendous hockey sense is the BPA at #3. Riding shotgun alongside Stamkos or providing offense on a second line for more stability, I see Drouin having a very bright future on Tampa Bay.

4- Nahville : Barkov, F

It's no secret that Nashville's strength as a franchise has been team defense and depth at the defensive position, combined with balanced scoring. While they have some pieces on offense that can provide good secondary scoring (like Hornqvist), they have had a lack for top-end offensive talent at center since their inception. Aleksander Barkov, with his size, skill and great two-way ability finally gives them that one potentially game-breaking talent at center.

5- Carolina : Lindholm, F

Although I think Carolina looks long and hard at Nichuschkin, based simply on team needs, I believe they take Lindholm, who has similar upside but projects to be a ''safe'' bet (if such a thing exists) to at least play and contribute in the NHL. His great offensive abilities coupled with excellent two-way play make him an ideal candidate to fill-out the Canes' top-6 for years to come alongside the Staal brothers, Skinner and others.

6- Calgary : Monahan, F

The Flames are in a rebuild (or is it retool as per Feaster?) and what better way to start a rebuild than to select a potential number-one center with strong two-way play and competitivenes, who also has a very low "bust" potential.

7- Edmonton : Nichuschkin, F

Although I believe Edmonton's defense could be solidified with the acquisition of one of the higher-ranked defensemen available in this draft, Nichusckin's blend of size, skill, speed and strength is just too hard to pass up for Edmonton. Although not overly physical, With his high-end skill level, motor and size, Nichuschkin could bring a much-needed physical presence and a whole new dimension to Edmonton's top-6. With their depth at forward, the Oilers can also reasonably afford the slightly higher risk due to the "russian factor".

8- Buffalo : Horvat, F

Maybe a bit of a surprise so high in the draft, but I absolutely love Horvat's all-around play (his compete level, his defensive smarts, his good hands and release, his work on the faceoffs circle, etc). Although his offensive upside is a bit lower than some others still there on the board (namely Shinkaruk), I believe he is exactly what the doctor ordered to help with Buffalo's offense (perhaps eventually replacing Pomminville in a few years' time). His above-average size and strength also fit with Buffalo's need to get bigger and stronger at forward.

9- New Jersey : Nurse, D

Although New jersey would have liked to be able to nab Horvat, with him gone I think they simply go BPA there, despite their good prospect pool of defensemen. Another player they may consider at this point is Valentin Zykov, who's size and play is really suited to the NHL level and has good upside. Nurse is a tough and rugged prospect at defense, with a knack for clearing the front of the net. Although he should work a bit on his first step and his pivots, and polish his defensive awareness some, Nurse demonstrates great defensive potential to go along a booming shot, a good first pass and good offensive potential. He could potentially become a top two defenseman.

10- Dallas : Shinkaruk, F

The Dallas Stars, with what is left on board, decide to take one of the premier offensive players of this draft with their pick. Despite the fact that Shinkaruk is very one-dimensional, the dimension he brings, coupled with his skating and incredible offensive smarts, proves too much to pass up.

11- Philadelphia : Ristolainen, D

12- Phoenix : Wennberg, F

13- Winnipeg : Domi, F

14- Columbus : Zykov, F

15- NY Islanders : Morin, D

16- Buffalo : Zadorov, D

17- Ottawa : Gauthier, F

18- Detroit : Lazar, F

19- Columbus : Mantha, F

20- San Jose : Pulock, D

21- Toronto : Erne, F

22- Calgary : Mueller, D

23- Washington : Hartman, F

24- Vancouver : Morrisey, D

25- Montreal : McCoshen, D

26- Anaheim : McCarron, F

27- Columbus : Santini, D

28- Calgary : Petan, F

29- Dallas : Theodore, D

30- Chicago : Rychel, F

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks pipeline strengths

Defense: Great, plus a currently crowded blueline making it hard to inject guys like Lindholm and Vatanen into the lineup.
Goaltenders: Andersen and Gibson. We're set.
Centers: Could be worse, but not really as pressing as it was before
Right Wingers: Not strong but we're pretty full of them in the big club's lineup.
Left Wingers: Nothing. Our top scoring left wingers were drafted as natural right wingers. Noted deficiency

Why are we letting the best free option to fill a gaping hole pass by to pick 30 for a guy like McCarron?

ZeroPT*

I would hope one of the top 7 fall to buffalo but ILike horvat, would rather nurse, and Erne/gauthier/lazar at 16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad