Movies: Yesterday, the movie.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
From the guys who made Slum Dog, here's an interesting looking movie.

I saw the trailer yesterday and immediately showed it to my wife. With Boyle directing, I have a lot of hope that it can deliver on its fun premise.

What's funny is that with the Aladdin trailer looking so worrisome, I've been wondering what director they could have chosen that could have made that project work, and Danny Boyle was one of the ones that jumped to mind.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Looks awesome.
Partly because I've had this thought before - what if I woke up back in the 1980s or something, what could I do with the knowledge I had? I've imagined being the first Eminem and blowing people's minds ha

Also as a huge Beatles fan, it is amazing how many hits they've made so I'm all in.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm annoyed by how Paul McCartney heavy that was. :laugh:

I'm a bit surprised by the reception. I feel like without Danny Boyle directing it, more people would think it looked like more of a moderately cute but shallow and easy to dismiss thing rather than something that looks really good.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm annoyed by how Paul McCartney heavy that was. :laugh:

I'm a bit surprised by the reception. I feel like without Danny Boyle directing it, more people would think it looked like more of a moderately cute but shallow and easy to dismiss thing rather than something that looks really good.

As it's downside, that's what it could be, with the benefit of listening to Beatles music the entire time. But, it has the potential to connect more with a strong director attached.

I just welcome an audience pleasing movie that is an original concept, especially one slated for release over the summer.

Reactions: xtra

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As it's downside, that's what it could be, with the benefit of listening to Beatles music the entire time. But, it has the potential to connect more with a strong director attached.

I just welcome an audience pleasing movie that is an original concept, especially one slated for release over the summer.
I totally get the crowd-pleasing/good director part, I agree that there might be potential on that basis alone, and The Beatles part is a plus, but again, I'm just a bit surprised that the concept/idea itself is being treated as interesting or original. It's just the "lightning struck something, and now I can control the universe/I'm stuck in my younger-self's body/some other strange, amusing and exploitable phenomenon is happening to me that will teach me a valuable life lesson" trope.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think a lot of people just want a fun movie that doesn't appear to have much to say about politics or religion or any other serious topic that sucks.

This looks like a fun 90's movie with modern production and a bunch of Beatles songs. It is perfect timing for it IMO.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I totally get the crowd-pleasing/good director part, I agree that there might be potential on that basis alone, and The Beatles part is a plus, but again, I'm just a bit surprised that the concept/idea itself is being treated as interesting or original. It's just the "lightning struck something, and now I can control the universe/I'm stuck in my younger-self's body/some other strange, amusing and exploitable phenomenon is happening to me that will teach me a valuable life lesson" trope.

It's a new twist on that trope, which makes it fresh enough.

There's a sweet spot for movies to be just different enough yet still familiar. This feels like it hits that line directly.

Reactions: kihei

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a new twist on that trope, which makes it fresh enough.

There's a sweet spot for movies to be just different enough yet still familiar. This feels like it hits that line directly.
I don't know, man... isn't every iteration of this type of trope (the stuff that would typically get scoffed at) always technically a new twist on a familiar trope? Seems kind of borderline to me.

Then again, now that I think of it, the trope is very broad and a lot of interesting/good movie ideas do fall under it. It's hard to say. As an initial impression, this just didn't really strike me as one of them. Then I saw the name Danny Boyle and thought "Oh, okay".

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I think your overthinking theoriginality of the story because I’d your being so picky every story is basically a rehash of:
  • Overcoming the Monster.
  • Rags to Riches.
  • The Quest.
  • Voyage and Return.
  • Comedy.
  • Tragedy.
  • Rebirth.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah if you had the same power as this guy you wouldn't sell yourself using Lennon songs. McCartney is where the money is.
Oh yeah, totally. Just saying, as someone who heavily leans Lennon, that part of my brain went "Dammit!" Wasn't saying that as legitimate criticism.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Potentially great premise. Definitely will pick this one up.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
All I saw was the title of the movie. Just "Yesterday" and I thought "oh okay well here's the inevitable Beatles biopic after Bohemian Rhapsody." happy to be wrong.

I used to dabble in songwriting but never really did anything with it but when I was younger I used to fantasize about having the power to have made a good song have never been written so I could write it. Kinda seems a bit messed up in hindsight but I'm definitely on board for this concept.

Reactions: Supermassive

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Reviews have been weak - they say the novelty / concept wears off early / often and you're left with a silly love story.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There was that nifty Twilight Zone episode where an Elvis impersonator somehow goes back in time and accidentally kills him in an argument.

He assumes his identity and IIRC the theme was about whether he would act on his advanced knowledge, follow exactly in his hero’s footsteps - or whether it was inevitable.

I think it ended with him questioning whether he did the original Elvis justice or not.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There was that nifty Twilight Zone episode where an Elvis impersonator somehow goes back in time and accidentally kills him in an argument.

He assumes his identity and IIRC the theme was about whether he would act on his advanced knowledge, follow exactly in his hero’s footsteps - or whether it was inevitable.

I think it ended with him questioning whether he did the original Elvis justice or not.

I remember that episode, and now as an adult, I'm amazed they got sign off for using Elvis songs in a story like that.

On a separate note, I went to look up the episode on Wikipedia, and turns out that one of the writers on that episode was a young upstart by the names of George R R Martin.

I'm a little disappointed that reviews haven't been great on this. The trailer and talent involved looked promising. My wife is likely to be interested, and if it's playing near us, I'm guessing we'll probably still make it out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I hadn't seen it, so I looked it up and found it:

It was pretty good. Unlike a lot of other episodes from the 80s series, it "felt" to me like a Twilight Zone episode.

On a separate note, I went to look up the episode on Wikipedia, and turns out that one of the writers on that episode was a young upstart by the names of George R R Martin.

How much do you wanna bet that impaling Elvis on the neck of a guitar was his idea?

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad