Yes there really is a Santa Claus... and other myths we believe in

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Wanting all that is ok

Now find me a team in the past 40 years that gave you all that

Is what you want reasonable? Is it attainable? When held to your standards, does any team meet the mark?

they were THERE. Bring it home. If you think I am satisfied with one cup win in 40 plus years you would be wrong. I want the Blackhawks. I want the penguins with winning three cups with the same core over ten years. What I don’t want are excuses why we dropped all these game 7s at home. Ridiculous. All time great teams bring it home. All time great cores bring it home. There are no canadien or oilers dynasties these days. When you are there win. Simple as that.

has this team been in better position then most teams? Yes. Is that something to take solace in? Sorry not me. I look at it as failure to indelibly mark your place in history.

when I look back at this era I will see a team that didn’t win as much as it could or should have, sorry.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
List of excuses. Bang on.

It’s not a myth. They lost.

the myth is... we werent in the series... that we were so overwhelmed physically that we didnt have a chance... that we were steam rolled

sounds almost make believe to me when you really try to rationalize that take on things.

I will stick by my list of excuses... that we easily could have won the series in 6 if that ot game went our way instead of theirs. we were steam rolling them up to game 6 when their complaints to the officials influenced their ability to cheat

honestly I prefer my team live and die with integrity then go whinning and crying to the officals.

remember he didnt say his team didnt deserve all the penalties. he simply said that the team played the same way all season and got away with it. his beef wasnt that they were being called for cheating they werent doing. his beef was why werent they still allowed to cheat?

so obviously the league heard his argument... felt they wanted his team to win... passed down a mandate to relax the officiating. the bruin pp was too skilled for st louis. we would blow them out if the rules were enforced properly. by making a league decesion to officiate the games less strigent to the rules the league was able to stack the deck in favor of the team they wanted to win

would it have worked for boston?
well... I ask you... do you honestly think the league officials in Toronto and new York want boston to win?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
the myth is... we werent in the series... that we were so overwhelmed physically that we didnt have a chance... that we were steam rolled

sounds almost make believe to me when you really try to rationalize that take on things.

I will stick by my list of excuses... that we easily could have won the series in 6 if that ot game went our way instead of theirs. we were steam rolling them up to game 6 when their complaints to the officials influenced their ability to cheat

honestly I prefer my team live and die with integrity then go whinning and crying to the officals.

remember he didnt say his team didnt deserve all the penalties. he simply said that the team played the same way all season and got away with it. his beef wasnt that they were being called for cheating they werent doing. his beef was why werent they still allowed to cheat?

so obviously the league heard his argument... felt they wanted his team to win... passed down a mandate to relax the officiating. the bruin pp was too skilled for st louis. we would blow them out if the rules were enforced properly. by making a league decesion to officiate the games less strigent to the rules the league was able to stack the deck in favor of the team they wanted to win

would it have worked for boston?
well... I ask you... do you honestly think the league officials in Toronto and new York want boston to win?

Ah yes the old Habsesque “the league and officials are biased against the poor Boston Bruins”

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
they were THERE. Bring it home. If you think I am satisfied with one cup win in 40 plus years you would be wrong. I want the Blackhawks. I want the penguins with winning three cups with the same core over ten years. What I don’t want are excuses why we dropped all these game 7s at home. Ridiculous. All time great teams bring it home. All time great cores bring it home. There are no canadien or oilers dynasties these days. When you are there win. Simple as that.

has this team been in better position then most teams? Yes. Is that something to take solace in? Sorry not me. I look at it as failure to indelibly mark your place in history.

when I look back at this era I will see a team that didn’t win as much as it could or should have, sorry.

you seem so reasonable with a lot of your posts... I have a hard time arguing some of them

so we have
LA... 2 cups in the last decade I think
and we have Chicago... they won 3 right?
and then pittsburgh with 2...

3 of 31 teams with multiple wins

Washington and st louis both with 1... and who else?
I guess it was us... we had 1

so if cup wins is your measure... then we are 1 of only 6 teams that meet your gold standard in the last 10 years

if my kid came home from school and told me he got the 6th highest grade out of 31 kids in his school... or even better if he told me he was tied for 4th place out of 31... I just know I wouldnt tell him how disappointed I was that he let those other 3 kids do better.

i wonder if we dig deeper into LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh would we find a long line of playoff misses... bottom feeding... top 5 picks.. right before their success run? did they put their teams through hell in order to get a taste of success?

i know the answer... so dont worry if you didnt want to go look it up

i appreciate that my bruins pour their hearts out on the ice year after year... game by game... to try to win for me
are they perfect in their efforts?
do i need them to be in order to appreciate the effort?

for me the answer is simple... i want my team to always be competitive. and i dont believe anyone wins 100% of the time. i enter into this equation knowing i will have to be disappointed sometimes. i still wait with baited breath for each opportunity to be happy... to cheer the victories my team can give me. and honestly, the bruins do more for my happiness during my lifetime then any other team in the entire world

i will put the bruins track record of success in my lifetime up against anyone. past 51 years i was born and lived... bruins dont take a backseat to anyone

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Ah yes the old Habsesque “the league and officials are biased against the poor Boston Bruins”

did st louis get killed by penalties the first 4 games?
did boston run them out of the building?
did the coach complain?
did the calls stop?
did st louis gain the advantage thanks to their 'big tough style of play'?

just because im parinoid lou doesnt mean they arent out to get me

you do the math... i have given you all the clues you need to find the answer

member 96824

Call me crazy but I believe that if the Bruins scored on the incredible chances they got in the first of G7 they would have magically been “tough enough” to win the series

examples: Mojo @ 5:38, Kuraly @ 6:30, Marchand @ 8:50, Krejci @ 9:50, Mojo @ 11:35

My Santa Claus: Binnington’s sleeve had more to do with the Blues cup than the Bruins “lack of toughness”(despite leading the league in fighting and being 2nd PIMs all year)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pia8988 and JAD

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

So, you're saying for you at this moment the Bruins teams of the last ten years are the Atlanta Braves of the 90's.

In any event, I'm sure you know that for any team to win the cup they have to have health, puck luck, and officiating calls go their way. And I'm sure you know from watching last June's finals that none of that had any bearing on who won the cup (sarcasm). That it was all based upon who was the tougher team (eyes rolling).

I've followed hockey for over 50 years and I have to say that the officiating in last year's playoffs was a disgrace, especially the finals. I say that even with all the ghost calls of playoffs past dancing in my head (Montreal forum).

My Santa Claus myth: is that NHL officiating in the playoffs would be unbiased, consistent, and in line with how the game was called during the regular season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am getting tired of hearing the Bruins lost the Cup to the Blues because they were not tough enough.

I will concede that the Cup was lost when the Bruins played scared in the second period of Game 7 fearing another St. Louis goal. Marchand has gotten a free pass from the Boston media on his brain fart that allowed the Blues to go up 2-0 in the final seconds of the first period. I can't put into words how the life was sucked out of the fans at TD after that happened and it affected the team.

2019 NHL Stanley Cup Gigapixel Fan Photo - Powered by Blakeway Panoramas

What really bugs me is our record in home games in the 2013 and 2019 SCF - 2 wins 5 losses

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I am getting tired of hearing the Bruins lost the Cup to the Blues because they were not tough enough.

I will concede that the Cup was lost when the Bruins played scared in the second period of Game 7 fearing another St. Louis goal. Marchand has gotten a free pass from the Boston media on his brain fart that allowed the Blues to go up 2-0 in the final seconds of the first period. I can't put into words how the life was sucked out of the fans at TD after that happened and it affected the team.

What really bugs me is our record in home games in the 2013 and 2019 SCF - 2 wins 5 losses

I think people's positions are pretty fixed now and have been well and truly thrashed out since June on a broad sliding scale between those who think that the Bruins' alleged lack of toughness and physicality played a significant part in them not winning the Cup and will continue to hold them back and those who think otherwise. Most (but not all) of the former also miss the old bigger Bruins and wish the team was still built like that, and most of the latter at least don't mind this more speed/skill-based roster or accept that it's the way to go in the modern NHL. There are enough things you can point to or interpret in a certain way in the course of the 7 games to make a case for both sides and for people to have their existing biases or beliefs confirmed. We get a game like the latest one and all those same positions and arguments come out again.

The only way the debate is going to have any resolution and people may potentially change their opinions is if the Bruins face off with either the Caps, Blues or some other team that gets really physical in the next POs. Then we'll see how it plays out this time and it may give us an answer either way. If not it will simply forever be one of those arguments that divides a fan base.

Reactions: Fenway

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Marchand had multiple defensive gaffs that ended up in the back of the Bruins net that series. Infuriating for an ‘elite defensive winger’

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
did st louis get killed by penalties the first 4 games?
did boston run them out of the building?
did the coach complain?
did the calls stop?
did st louis gain the advantage thanks to their 'big tough style of play'?

just because im parinoid lou doesnt mean they arent out to get me

you do the math... i have given you all the clues you need to find the answer

wasn’t the series tied 2-2 through the first four?
And yes the officiating did change to how it should be in the Stanley cup where you let them play...if you can take solace in almost and shoulda coulda woulda God bless...

Here is the math. Bruins lost a crucial game 5 (again). Bruins lost in 7. They weren’t good enough, tough enough; skilled enough; whatever label you care to put on it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

bruins were 1-3 at home in the finals that’s why they lost. They may not have lost because they were not tough enough but them being passive certainly didn’t help. They certainly didn’t wear anyone out. Goes back also to Sweeney pretending he has a 2Rw in house and ignoring it forever.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
bruins were 1-3 at home in the finals that’s why they lost. They may not have lost because they were not tough enough but them being passive certainly didn’t help. They certainly didn’t wear anyone out. Goes back also to Sweeney pretending he has a 2Rw in house and ignoring it forever.

To be fair to Sweeney, Johansson as an extra winger was an excellent pickup that nearly got us over the line. Had he not been injured just after joining us and had more time to gel with the team, he would probably have been even better in the POs than he was. I admit it was odd that Don went and got another LW rather than the more needed right, but maybe there were simply no suitable RWs available at the right price.

member 96824

Yeah I’ve been saying since that night that Marchand’s change should be up there with Buckner’s gaffe at first.

thank god they won that one night in Vancouver.

Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah I’ve been saying since that night that Marchand’s change should be up there with Buckner’s gaffe at first.

thank god they won that one night in Vancouver.

Elite defensive winger couldn’t be bothered to finish his shift in his own end

Reactions: BrainOfJ

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
To be fair to Sweeney, Johansson as an extra winger was an excellent pickup that nearly got us over the line. Had he not been injured just after joining us and had more time to gel with the team, he would probably have been even better in the POs than he was. I admit it was odd that Don went and got another LW rather than the more needed right, but maybe there were simply no suitable RWs available at the right price.

mojo played RW for the Devils

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
which ones?

Ducks were always a heavy physical team for a decade and couldn't even reach the finals.

The big bad Capitals couldn't find there way out of the 2nd round for years. Remind me, did the caps win last season, I forgot.

Those back to back penguin teams really beat the shit out of their opponents. Real big team there just crushed their opponents led by Kessel and Crosby.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Ducks were always a heavy physical team for a decade and couldn't even reach the finals.

The big bad Capitals couldn't find there way out of the 2nd round for years. Remind me, did the caps win last season, I forgot.

Those back to back penguin teams really beat the **** out of their opponents. Real big team there just crushed their opponents led by Kessel and Crosby.

seems like most cups were skill vs skill lately but the last two teams that won were pretty heavy. The Ducks and Bruins from years past as well. Kings.

like I’ve always said if you have half a dozen top ten picks like the hawks and pens you don’t generally have to worry about anything.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
MYTH NUMBER TWO

theres only 1 way to win a cup... and thats to copy whoever is winning the cup

i started watching in 1975... philly was winning the cup with goon tactics... so who succeeded them as champs? was it another goon team? or was it the montreal canadiens with all that speed?

theres always been teams faster than anyone else... but the islanders werent that fast. they won with depth... committement to battling... a lot of very strong role players... an outstanding first line... that outstanding dman and a great goalie...

hard to copy?

the oilers came along... their formula was to have the best player of all time leading them..,

not such an easy model to follow but Pittsburgh managed a few years later

Detroit won with depth... drafting... home growth... and then they made their organization high class. all the retiring superstars would want to go to Detroit and finish their careers. Detroit loaded their bottom lines with hall of famers on a budget...

so many ways to win... but whats the consistent thing

MUST YOU BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT ONLY?
IS SPEED THE KEY?
DO YOU NEED TO BE STRONGER THEN EVERYONE ELSE?
IS A GOOD DEADLINE TRADE THE ONLY WAY TO GO?
SHOULD YOU FIRE YOUR COACH DURING THE SEASON?

the truth is... if you are a pale copy of another team that won... you wont win
you have to figure out your own idenity and be the best you can be

jersey won with the trap... they got a great goaltender... they followed a team system... they won

canes won with a team swarming system... relentless on the puck... everyone moving in the same direction.

dallas won by loading up with a lot of vets in the prime/twilight of their career... lots of guys who knew how to win and wanted one more kick of the can

so... is the path to winning ever... just copy the last guys that won?
or must you identify your own strengths? play yourself to your strengths? perfect your strengths?

and is luck a part of it?
when the series goes 7 games... does it mean the other team actually was a worthy opponent?

you did what you did best to get to the finals
they did what they did best...

if you play the series 100 times do you win 55 times? does that mean you might lose 45 times?
is it necessarily telling anyone that you were the lesser team just because you lost?

flip a coin and heads might come up 6 times out of 10... does that mean heads is the superior side of the coin?
if you flip it another 20 times might tails come up 14 times?

there is some luck involved when you get to the playoffs... officiating can easy effect a series... a hot goaltender can tilt the expected results...
a bounce of a puck in ot might go against you... or fore you

its myth to beleive the best team wins each year. its a myth to think any of us can pick a team in training camp or on January 1st and say that team is going to win. on January 1st last year NO ONE PICKED ST LOUIS!!! but a lot of people picked them in training camp

the season lives. it ebbs and flows... and the playoffs are a seperate entity. the playoffs come down to who is best in 7 games... and often its so even matched the playoffs come down to who is best on a single night

last years playoffs came down to who was best on a single night.

we were right there... good enough... if the luck went our way we would have our second cup win in a decade.

thats no myth by the way... reality is, we are building our team to be the best at what we do. our idenity is taking shape. we have the best line in hockey. our defense is young and talented. our cap management is second to none. our 1-2 goaltending punch is second to none.

and now we are trying to develop some kids into a solid middle 6 for scoring depth.

we are already good enough to be at the top of the standings regular season
we are already good enough to get to the finals last year
and we are getting better

I hope some of you can get on the bandwagon soon before all the good seats are taken

Reactions: JAD

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
mojo played RW for the Devils

True. I didn't see a lot of his play there, but from what I did, and his stats, I'd say he wasn't great at RW, which is partly why his stocks were lower and when the Bruins picked him up then was some uncertainty here about the wisdom of the acquisition. LW seems a much better, more natural fit for him.

Reactions: LouJersey

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
MYTH NUMBER TWO

theres only 1 way to win a cup... and thats to copy whoever is winning the cup

i started watching in 1975... philly was winning the cup with goon tactics... so who succeeded them as champs? was it another goon team? or was it the montreal canadiens with all that speed?

theres always been teams faster than anyone else... but the islanders werent that fast. they won with depth... committement to battling... a lot of very strong role players... an outstanding first line... that outstanding dman and a great goalie...

hard to copy?

the oilers came along... their formula was to have the best player of all time leading them..,

not such an easy model to follow but Pittsburgh managed a few years later

Detroit won with depth... drafting... home growth... and then they made their organization high class. all the retiring superstars would want to go to Detroit and finish their careers. Detroit loaded their bottom lines with hall of famers on a budget...

so many ways to win... but whats the consistent thing

MUST YOU BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT ONLY?
IS SPEED THE KEY?
DO YOU NEED TO BE STRONGER THEN EVERYONE ELSE?
IS A GOOD DEADLINE TRADE THE ONLY WAY TO GO?
SHOULD YOU FIRE YOUR COACH DURING THE SEASON?

the truth is... if you are a pale copy of another team that won... you wont win
you have to figure out your own idenity and be the best you can be

jersey won with the trap... they got a great goaltender... they followed a team system... they won

canes won with a team swarming system... relentless on the puck... everyone moving in the same direction.

dallas won by loading up with a lot of vets in the prime/twilight of their career... lots of guys who knew how to win and wanted one more kick of the can

so... is the path to winning ever... just copy the last guys that won?
or must you identify your own strengths? play yourself to your strengths? perfect your strengths?

and is luck a part of it?
when the series goes 7 games... does it mean the other team actually was a worthy opponent?

you did what you did best to get to the finals
they did what they did best...

if you play the series 100 times do you win 55 times? does that mean you might lose 45 times?
is it necessarily telling anyone that you were the lesser team just because you lost?

flip a coin and heads might come up 6 times out of 10... does that mean heads is the superior side of the coin?
if you flip it another 20 times might tails come up 14 times?

there is some luck involved when you get to the playoffs... officiating can easy effect a series... a hot goaltender can tilt the expected results...
a bounce of a puck in ot might go against you... or fore you

its myth to beleive the best team wins each year. its a myth to think any of us can pick a team in training camp or on January 1st and say that team is going to win. on January 1st last year NO ONE PICKED ST LOUIS!!! but a lot of people picked them in training camp

the season lives. it ebbs and flows... and the playoffs are a seperate entity. the playoffs come down to who is best in 7 games... and often its so even matched the playoffs come down to who is best on a single night

last years playoffs came down to who was best on a single night.

we were right there... good enough... if the luck went our way we would have our second cup win in a decade.

thats no myth by the way... reality is, we are building our team to be the best at what we do. our idenity is taking shape. we have the best line in hockey. our defense is young and talented. our cap management is second to none. our 1-2 goaltending punch is second to none.

and now we are trying to develop some kids into a solid middle 6 for scoring depth.

we are already good enough to be at the top of the standings regular season
we are already good enough to get to the finals last year
and we are getting better

I hope some of you can get on the bandwagon soon before all the good seats are taken

Great post. Totally agree. Historically accurate.

But how can you say the Oilers had the best player ever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad