Yes there really is a Santa Claus... and other myths we believe in

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I get the urge to rant on certain fake nhl/bruin beliefs at least 10 times a year... I suspect some of you do too. instead of doing it in 100 different threads I thought maybe we could collect it all in one thread. people not interested can add this to their ignore list because i will be revisiting it for the next couple years and necro it whenever certain ideas need to be spoken on

getting things started... bruins couldnt hang with st louis big intimidating team last year in the playoffs

reality... the scores of the 7 games were
4-2 bruins
2-3 blues {in overtime}
7-2 bruins
2-4 blues
1-2 blues
5-1 bruins

in the first 6 games bruins totally blew the blues in 2 of the games
and blues eaked out 1 goal wins in 2 games

bruins outscored blues 20-14

blues were damn lucky the series wasnt over... big bad blues that bruins couldnt hang with..

we all know what happened in game 7... that was 1 freaking game in the series. that was a fluke.
its complete nonsense to say that the blues physicality was too much for the bruins

now... did it help the blues? sure... they had almost nothing else to offer.

in fact the blues coach went crying like a baby to the officals after bruins were crushing them in the first 3 games and that idiot said, "why are we getting penalties? we are playing the same we always play but we didnt get called for it before. if the refs keep enforcing the rules we dont have a chance"

it was actually a remarkably honest comment from that idiot... and ultimately it was the reason st louis didnt get blown out in 5 games. once the refs stopped calling the legitimate penalties then yes... st louis was able to goon it up.

but...

we all know that wouldnt work for us. we would be called for the penalties. we CANT get away with the same goon tactics Washington and st louis do.

obviously strong/physical/skilled hockey is winning games these days. people can tall about little speed bugs like McDavid all they want. his team wont make the playoffs.

Washington and st louis won the last 2 cups. we are a strong team {believe it or not} and we went to the finals. Vegas plays tough they went to the finals. im not saying we should get weak or timid... but we are able to compete with these other teams

its a myth to suggest we cant

end of rant
merry Christmas everyone
and thank you bruins for kicking the snot out of those pukes in Washington tonight

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
open invitation to the rest of you... whatever rants you wanted to express on your own falsely held misconceptions of the masses... jump in. I look forward to having something to read over the holidays

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
yeah sorry I can't get too excited about the Bruins falling one game short to a more physical team like the 2011 Canucks did. What ever happened to that team, btw? They bounced back and won the cup the next year, right? right???

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins are the early 2000's Habs and 2011 Canucks. Soft, talented....win a lot of games...don't mind being the nail and getting physically hammered..Don;t have the type of players to ramp up the physicality when the action ramps up and don't seem to mind when their superstar gets targeted....enough talent to win a cup, but do they have the testicular fortitude to pay the price and bring it all home? Anything short of a Cup win this season is a disaster of a season.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
yeah sorry I can't get too excited about the Bruins falling one game short to a more physical team like the 2011 Canucks did. What ever happened to that team, btw? They bounced back and won the cup the next year, right? right???

name me the toughest team in the history of the nhl…
and then I will check out how they did in the standings the next year

because... thats what is going to determin it right? if you are tough you win? and win the next year?

you choose... find me who you think is the toughest team ever and then we will figure out if your hot take is ridiculous or not

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bruins are the early 2000's Habs and 2011 Canucks. Soft, talented....win a lot of games...don't mind being the nail and getting physically hammered..Don;t have the type of players to ramp up the physicality when the action ramps up and don't seem to mind when their superstar gets targeted....enough talent to win a cup, but do they have the testicular fortitude to pay the price and bring it all home? Anything short of a Cup win this season is a disaster of a season.

whether you are right or not lou… the nhl of 2020 isnt the nhl of early 2000s or even 2011... disagree with the rule changes all you want. but reality is reality

honestly i havent seen the bruins get run out of a game in at least the last 10 years. I havent seen our guys quit. I havent seen them just turtle and run for cover

its not the size of the dog in the fight... its the fight in the dog

will we win every single game this year? would we if we were dressing 5 more tougher players?

the league has parity... you can tell me the team you think will win the cup and I would take the rest of the field and tell you that there is no team so tough they are guaranteed anything

we got 1 win away from a cup championship last year. we are in the hunt
our guys dont turtle and mail it in

and this big bad Washington team... they were first round knockouts. all their muscels didnt change that

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

That isn't the point, though. It's the injuries. Grizz getting cheap-shotted in the SCF last year had a big negative impact on the team. Tonight, Krug, McAvoy-Pasta could have been injured by that dirtbag Wilson, OV that giant piece of shit was running people all over the place. If those idiots knew that they were putting Backstrom or Kuznetsov at risk by doing that, maybe it would tone down.

Reactions: BMC

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That isn't the point, though. It's the injuries. Grizz getting cheap-shotted in the SCF last year had a big negative impact on the team. Tonight, Krug, McAvoy-Pasta could have been injured by that dirtbag Wilson, OV that giant piece of **** was running people all over the place. If those idiots knew that they were putting Backstrom or Kuznetsov at risk by doing that, maybe it would tone down.

have you ever seen that work?

the superstars of yesterday like gordie howe and bobby clark and mark messier were some of the dirtiest players in the history of the game.

didnt stop anyone from running them if they got a chance. montreal won like 5 cups in a row in the late 1970s not because they were the toughest goons in the nhl… or because they could stop other teams from running them...

they won because of their skill... they stood up for themselves. they didnt win a lot of fights. they didnt retaliate and cheap shot the opposition. they just played honest tough hockey and had each others backs.

Detroit became the dominant team of the first 20 years of this century not because they retaliated with cheap shots... not because they won all their fights... but because they didnt crawl into the shadows. they responded with superior talent. they won on the score card

no team wins all the time... but the gooniest teams dont win without a ton of skill. the most skilled teams win. being team touch is a huge advantage but being super skilled is important

most goons arent skilled

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
whether you are right or not lou… the nhl of 2020 isnt the nhl of early 2000s or even 2011... disagree with the rule changes all you want. but reality is reality

honestly i havent seen the bruins get run out of a game in at least the last 10 years. I havent seen our guys quit. I havent seen them just turtle and run for cover

will we win every single game this year? would we if we were dressing 5 more tougher players?

the league has parity... you can tell me the team you think will win the cup and I would take the rest of the field and tell you that there is no team so tough they are guaranteed anything

and this big bad Washington team... they were first round knockouts. all their muscels didnt change that
No body repeats, they will make a run this year .

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Even if you don’t believe tough players cancel out other tough players, there is still a logical argument to be made for adding heavy players to this team. If the last game against Washington was game 1 of a playoff series, the Bruins are headed into Game 2 banged up...and the Capitals are not.

That’s a losing recipe, and it compounds every game you play. It affects the body and mind. We have players that do not respond well to being hit, and so does every team. If only our guys are getting railroaded, it is going to negatively impact the outcome of the series.

Even if you believe you can’t stop fire with fire, you can even the score. If 3-4 of our guys get off their game mentally, or injured, I want 3-4 of their guys in the same boat.

Reactions: NSBruinFan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I get the urge to rant on certain fake nhl/bruin beliefs at least 10 times a year... I suspect some of you do too. instead of doing it in 100 different threads I thought maybe we could collect it all in one thread. people not interested can add this to their ignore list because i will be revisiting it for the next couple years and necro it whenever certain ideas need to be spoken on

getting things started... bruins couldnt hang with st louis big intimidating team last year in the playoffs

reality... the scores of the 7 games were
4-2 bruins
2-3 blues {in overtime}
7-2 bruins
2-4 blues
1-2 blues
5-1 bruins

in the first 6 games bruins totally blew the blues in 2 of the games
and blues eaked out 1 goal wins in 2 games

bruins outscored blues 20-14

blues were damn lucky the series wasnt over... big bad blues that bruins couldnt hang with..

we all know what happened in game 7... that was 1 freaking game in the series. that was a fluke.
its complete nonsense to say that the blues physicality was too much for the bruins

now... did it help the blues? sure... they had almost nothing else to offer.

in fact the blues coach went crying like a baby to the officals after bruins were crushing them in the first 3 games and that idiot said, "why are we getting penalties? we are playing the same we always play but we didnt get called for it before. if the refs keep enforcing the rules we dont have a chance"

it was actually a remarkably honest comment from that idiot... and ultimately it was the reason st louis didnt get blown out in 5 games. once the refs stopped calling the legitimate penalties then yes... st louis was able to goon it up.

but...

we all know that wouldnt work for us. we would be called for the penalties. we CANT get away with the same goon tactics Washington and st louis do.

obviously strong/physical/skilled hockey is winning games these days. people can tall about little speed bugs like McDavid all they want. his team wont make the playoffs.

Washington and st louis won the last 2 cups. we are a strong team {believe it or not} and we went to the finals. Vegas plays tough they went to the finals. im not saying we should get weak or timid... but we are able to compete with these other teams

its a myth to suggest we cant

end of rant
merry Christmas everyone
and thank you bruins for kicking the snot out of those pukes in Washington tonight

when do they raise the almost 18-19 Stanley Cup Champions banner? Want to make sure I make the trip up

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Even if you don’t believe tough players cancel out other tough players, there is still a logical argument to be made for adding heavy players to this team. If the last game against Washington was game 1 of a playoff series, the Bruins are headed into Game 2 banged up...and the Capitals are not.

That’s a losing recipe, and it compounds every game you play. It affects the body and mind. We have players that do not respond well to being hit, and so does every team. If only our guys are getting railroaded, it is going to negatively impact the outcome of the series.

Even if you believe you can’t stop fire with fire, you can even the score. If 3-4 of our guys get off their game mentally, or injured, I want 3-4 of their guys in the same boat.

every nhler ever has said playoff hitting is extremely important and wears players out and forces them to rush and make mistakes....but then I read here from ham and eggers that never played it’s overrated so I haven’t made my final decision on where I stand

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
when do they raise the almost 18-19 Stanley Cup Champions banner? Want to make sure I make the trip up

Not sure your point?

They dont hand out banners for close

My question to you... can you as a fan only be a front runner? Are you unable to appreciate when your team gets close to the brass ring? Do you not appreciate when your team battles all odds and over achieves from expectations?

Do you feel hot goaltending can lead to an upset in a single game? Does officiating sometimes effect outcome? Can a better team run into injuries?

Im wondering your point so maybe my reply makes no sense. Then again, maybe it does?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not sure your point?

They dont hand out banners for close

My question to you... can you as a fan only be a front runner? Are you unable to appreciate when your team gets close to the brass ring? Do you not appreciate when your team battles all odds and over achieves from expectations?

Do you feel hot goaltending can lead to an upset in a single game? Does officiating sometimes effect outcome? Can a better team run into injuries?

Im wondering your point so maybe my reply makes no sense. Then again, maybe it does?

Been a bruins fan for forty years, out of market....have seen one title yet still here....definition of front runner.

here’s what I want from my team. Win game 7 on home ice and get me a cup.

dont drop a series up 3-0 and then 3-0 game 7

don’t lose game 7 on home ice to inferior teams, repeatedly.

you give a nice list though....of excuses

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Been a bruins fan for forty years, out of market....have seen one title yet still here....definition of front runner.

here’s what I want from my team. Win game 7 on home ice and get me a cup.

dont drop a series up 3-0 and then 3-0 game 7

don’t lose game 7 on home ice to inferior teams, repeatedly.

you give a nice list though....of excuses

Wanting all that is ok

Now find me a team in the past 40 years that gave you all that

Is what you want reasonable? Is it attainable? When held to your standards, does any team meet the mark?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I think regardless of outcome or even statistics in some cases, there is a visceral aspect to what happens in a game and to the players that we’ve become attached to, that shapes many of our opinions.

I’ll qualify this with my rant, summed up in a few sentences:

Intimidation and toughness has an effect in NHL games and the success of teams. Nothing is absolute and like most things in life, there are shades of gray. I believe this for 2 reasons. First, far, far more players and former players have said it exists than said it doesn’t. And 2, human nature is human nature. Fear and intimidation (as well as confidence and fearlessness) exist in the real world, why wouldn’t they in sports?

The two (our attachment to the players/team and my thoughts about intimidation/toughness) are related because we can’t help but become upset when “our” players get cheap spotted/roughed up.

What this all leads up to is that even if a team is successful in the standings, watching them get taken advantage of physically, oftentimes affects fans in a different way than a simple win or loss.

In simplest terms;

1. win and physically dominate the opponent = best possible outcome

2. win and get physically dominated = 2nd best outcome?

3. lose and physically dominate the opponent = 3rd best outcome?

4. lose and get physically dominated = worst outcome

The interesting aspect of this is exactly how close numbers 2 and 3 are or whether they are flip flopped for some.

I’ve got to be honest, I’m not sure I could stomach watching another win like Monday’s.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt such negative emotions after a win in my life.

In the end a lot of us do romanticize the physical aspect of the game.

Maybe it isn’t as important as some of us feel, but conversely, it is more important than some others make it out to be.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think regardless of outcome or even statistics in some cases, there is a visceral aspect to what happens in a game and to the players that we’ve become attached to, that shapes many of our opinions.

I’ll qualify this with my rant, summed up in a few sentences:

Intimidation and toughness has an effect in NHL games and the success of teams. Nothing is absolute and like most things in life, there are shades of gray. I believe this for 2 reasons. First, far, far more players and former players have said it exists than said it doesn’t. And 2, human nature is human nature. Fear and intimidation (as well as confidence and fearlessness) exist in the real world, why wouldn’t they in sports?

The two (our attachment to the players/team and my thoughts about intimidation/toughness) are related because we can’t help but become upset when “our” players get cheap spotted/roughed up.

What this all leads up to is that even if a team is successful in the standings, watching them get taken advantage of physically, oftentimes affects fans in a different way than a simple win or loss.

In simplest terms;

1. win and physically dominate the opponent = best possible outcome

2. win and get physically dominated = 2nd best outcome?

3. lose and physically dominate the opponent = 3rd best outcome?

4. lose and get physically dominated = worst outcome

The interesting aspect of this is exactly how close numbers 2 and 3 are or whether they are flip flopped for some.

I’ve got to be honest, I’m not sure I could stomach watching another win like Monday’s.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt such negative emotions after a win in my life.

In the end a lot of us do romanticize the physical aspect of the game.

Maybe it isn’t as important as some of us feel, but conversely, it is more important than some others make it out to be.

I grew up in the 1970s.... and thats when I fell in love with the bruins and the 'style' they play... so I hear you. I feel you

just the movement in the world of sports is away from concusions… and steroids... and glorified messages of violence to the youth

theres so many reasons why theres a metoo# movement going on... why theres so many coaches being fired now for kicking their players or using racial incenitive comments in the locker room

times have changed. if I could personally magic wand us back to 1977... I would. I would

but if im forced to live in 2019, then im sorry... im going to miss the physical play because it just doesnt matter as much as it used to... and in fact, they passed a lot of rules against it.

tom Wilson gets suspended a lot for his antics. hes right on the borderline of the upper limits what can still manage to stay on the ice. when the rules tighten up one more degree... he too will be a dinosaur.

the game is moving away from tom Wilson... hes a unicorn
the game is moving away from ryan reeves... hes a unicorn
the game is moving away from milan lucic... hes a unicorn

hell... I love these players. I made many fantasy proposals over the years how id overpay to get one. I even did the same for jake Virtanen and josh Anderson. I was after david backes for years before he came here.

im a huge fan of these players... but the league isnt. the rules dont allow these guys to succeed anymore. Washington and st louis are tougher than other teams and won the last 2 cups... but they are also more skilled then other teams... also deeper then other teams

being tough is great... as long as you are skilled and deep too

we are tougher than the average team... we are tough enough...
no one is going to run us out of a series in 4 or 5 games
we are more than tough enough to last a 7 game war with anyone

but a super skilled team like tampa could blow us out in 5 with an overload of skill

we need more skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad