Yellowstone bison calf euthanized after tourists tried to 'rescue' it

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
HELENA, Mont. -- A bison calf that tourists loaded into their vehicle at Yellowstone National Park because they were concerned for its welfare could not be reunited with its herd and had to be euthanized, park officials said Monday as they reasserted the importance of avoiding wildlife.

The incident last week and several other recent cases led to fresh warnings that park rules require visitors to stay at least 25 yards from all wildlife and 100 yards from bears and wolves.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/yellowstone-bison-calf-euthanized-after-tourists-tried-to-rescue-it-1.2904527#

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-man-cited-for-putting-yellowstone-bison-calf-in-suv-report-1.2906451#

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I don't know why we're so concerned about government and industry ruining the environment. Seems we have enough idiots running around and doing it themselves anyway.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
You'd imagine that after what happened to Tim Treadwell, people would be smart enough to not interact with wildlife at a National Park.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
^I had to google Treadwell......damn, pretty cold of him to drag his gf along with him into a death trap, especially when she really didn't want to be there and was uncomfortable around bears. She should've bailed sooner. RIP. :(

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Watch the whole Treadwell doc on YouTube to see just how much of an idiot he was. I think the best part of his whole story was the fox pup stealing his hat and Tim freaking out.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
What kind of idiot takes a bison into their car :laugh:

"Bu-but he was COLD! Bison can't survive in the cold of May!..."

yellowstone-banner.jpg

:facepalm:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Ever been to Banff? There's signs everywhere telling people to stay away from the elk, yet every elk you see is literally surrounded by a circle of people taking photos. Tourists are so disconnected from reality that they don't think they can die. Nothing they do surprises me.

How to be a tourist: assume you know nothing about the place you're visiting, be careful and respectful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad