Yeah Pierre we get you...you want the red line out in the nhl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

Every game he has been harping about it....."what's wrong with that gord?Why don't we have it in the nhl,it's so exciting " On and on.Last game it looked like he was actually going to get through the whole game without mentioning it but he just could'nt resist it in the third when Gord gave him the bait when he was commenting on some rule change he'd like to see made(can't remember what it was) Pierre jumps on it and chimes in...."know what rule change i'd like to see?" Gord told him..."i wonder what that is" Yeah i wonder gord........everyone in Canada knows. I'm not sure if i want him to cut it out or not because it's makes for great laughs.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Almost every sports-reporter in Finland says, that removing the redline killed much of the offensive side of the game. Dunno if it's true, but it does generate more area to defend which leads to more defensively oriented tactics.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
more room to defend, but also much more room to ATTACK. Pierre may be a pain, but he is totally RIGHT. removing the redline gets rid of those 2-line pass calls and opens up the ice big time!

espo*

oh yeah...don't get me wrong,i think it's a good idea myself(at least to try it anyway) I just think it's funny Pierre won't let up on it during the broadcasts.....he's on a mission out there.

Shappa

Oct 11, 2002
I was wondering how long it would take for a Macguire thread to show up.

I will dance a very happy dance when TSN finally dumps him. He's probably right about the red line thing, and he's probably right about the no touch icing and tag up offside, but man.... talk about something new.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
Shappa said:
I was wondering how long it would take for a Macguire thread to show up.

I will dance a very happy dance when TSN finally dumps him. He's probably right about the red line thing, and he's probably right about the no touch icing and tag up offside, but man.... talk about something new.

i agree with all 3

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
2forsbergaura1 said:
more room to defend, but also much more room to ATTACK. Pierre may be a pain, but he is totally RIGHT. removing the redline gets rid of those 2-line pass calls and opens up the ice big time!

The trap is a European system built to combat the home-run pass. One spawned the other. The RSL has no two-line pass rule and is a very defensive league.

It seems like it would open up the game, but in regular league play, it seems to do the opposite.

From an E.J. Hradek article that should be required reading everytime this subject comes up:

'If you're one of those fans who'd like to see the NHL remove the red line, you might want to think twice. The Finnish Elite League, which has played without the red line for several seasons, plans to restore the center stripe next season. The league feels the game has become a series of misguided long passes, which, combined with the automatic icing rule, lead to an inordinate number of stoppages for icing. Finnish officials would like to restore the red line in all levels of hockey throughout the country. However, they are prohibited from doing so by IIHF rules. The Finns say that playing without the red line has made if difficult to develop young defensemen. They say that kids have become less interested in playing the position because they aren't as involved in the offense. With no red line, defenders are asked to make long passes. And because of the threat of a hanging forward behind them, they can't pinch and attack from the point. Rather, they must circle in the neutral zone to defend against the long breakout pass. That just isn't any fun. These days, Finnish kids are more interested in becoming goalies. Why? They think the masks are cool."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=hradek_ej&id=1700394

Is that the end-all be-all of the discussion? Definitely not. But is it something to think about when considering the change? Absolutely.

Thanks to my pal norske for finding the article.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Removing 2-line passes made european leagues even more defensive so anyone thinking it will spice up the game really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
2forsbergaura1 said:

It's true that it gives more room to attack. Are you from Europe? If I had to guess, I'd say you weren't, 'cos if you were, you'd know, that there are very few, if ANY, coaches who think like that. As they say , "It's easier to prevent a goal, than to score one."

BCCHL inactive

Roughneck said:
Why do people always say remove the red line. Why not just say remove the two-line pass?

Why do people say "two line pass". Why not call it what it is: centre line offside or offside pass? :p: :D

Wetcoaster

Roughneck said:
Why do people always say remove the red line. Why not just say remove the two-line pass?

That is what they mean. The red line stays for icing.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Removing the red line was fine for about two years in the SEL. Now it's almost impossible to make that long pass and the defensemen are actually more defensive than before.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
yeah , and for some reason Pierre thinks the islanders are the only team that ''passed'' on Zach Parise :shakehead

other than that , I like Pierre .

Dion Mustard*

Lets not forget last year Pierre went on and on about the bigger ice surface and how the NHL should change over to it.

It's easy to see something work when you have a team as talented as Canada. But lets see how well this thing works at about game 60 for the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Wild.

I think everyone needs to e-mail him ([email protected]) the E.J. Hradek article Marshall provided.

espo*

I swear Pierre won't be able to go one game without mentioning it this tournament....it seems as if this year it's his pet mission(he has one every tournament) he went on about it once tonight.......only once but he was very passionate about it........i'm willing to take bets with anyone on here that he can't go one game without mentioning it at least once....the only way it could happen is if Canada is in the final game and he's just too excited about the game itself that it slips his mind.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
All the European leagues that have allowed two-line passes play on a larger ice surface, right? Just interested, because I'm in favor of removing the redline and keeping the ice the same size.

AgentNaslund*

He sounds like a broken record repeating what hes saying. Its anoying, and it pisses me off how he screams bloody murder into the microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad