Yay - Habs lose to Senators in Shootout 2-1

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I just hope the Habs show so fire against the Leafs after that 6-0 embarrassment last game.. If they can't get fired up for that game someone needs to answer some questions.

This is true. I also said that the Habs HAD to kill the Isles to convince me they had turned a corner.

The leafs game is a must win. Biggest test of the year.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
We don't really have that player with the killer instinct. A true sniper/puck handler, everyone on the team plays a solid 2 way style which is rather strong but will hurt us in skill competitions like this.

Guys who could fill this role on the farm might be Kristo, Archambault, Collberg maybe Hudon?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
If we keep playing like this every game, I'm pretty sure that we will win much more than we will lose.
Good game for Habs. Bishop steals this one.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't know what frustrates me more, losing a game like that or going on this board after a loss... :laugh: I think that may have been Montreal's most dominant performance offensively not only this season but in a very long time. Unfortunately for us, they ran into a goalie that was REALLY hot, and not any kind of goalie: A ****ing giant. I liked all of our lines tonight, I don't think Gionta should be crucified like some of you are suggesting although I will never understand why our coaches always uses him in crucial situations during the SO. Is he like the Queen Elizabeth and it's all symbolic? It's a mark of respect to send him out there since he's our captain? It has to be it because he probably has the worst vision out of all of our offensive weapons up front. I did understand the decision for our players to try to go five hole on Bishop, he's 6'7 so that means he has a huge five hole with those long legs of his, but the problem is that our players didn't had any dekes prior to shooting it there, they just went up to him and shot it there, gotta make it harder than that to beat a goalie that was rock solid tonight. I thought Diaz, Gallagher and Desharnais were our best players tonight. A lot of things went uncalled tonight except for the final minutes of the game and OT, those infractions were done on Gally and Desharnais. We outplayed the Sens really badly and I don't see how any person on this board with two eyes that operate normally or any knowledge for hockey can consider today's game as a negative and a sign that our team isn't that good. They hit 3 posts without mentionning the amount of goals that Bishop stole from us. It wasn't one of those cases where our players just shot the puck at the goalie, Bishop was simply lights out tonight. Price looked shaky from the start, he didn't have the greatest game. He let in a softie that could have made the game much easier for us and he struggled on some shots that he normally controls without a problem. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking on Regin's goal but it doesn't give me much confidence on the emphasis he's put on SO. Subban was pretty awful tonight, he was too fancy with the puck and overthought every thing when he had the puck. A bunch of times he could've given the puck to Bouillon or another teammate but he decided to play overplay the puck. I'm not worried with this team but thank god there are no shootouts in the playoff or we'd be doomed.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Man I hate PGT's after a loss. So many random posters freaking out.

I don't blame Therrien for putting Gionta in on the shootout. He's the captain and should be expected to perform in pressure situations. Therrien needs to test that theory. He wasn't the one who put the C on Gionta's jersey.
As for Pleks in the shootout... ya, that was a bad move. I love Pleks but the shootout is clearly not his thing. And there's nothing really wrong with that because he shows up big when actual hockey is being played.

MT is trying to help the guy get his scoring touch back, it could have went either way. I hate shootouts especially since we are horrible at them. The real reason for the loss was the fumbling around on the 4 on 3 when the Habs failed to put someone in front of Bishop.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Who are the jackasses saying Price isn't a top goalie? Identify yourselves. I have a stat that'll shame you. Come on, who are you? I can't be bothered to go back and read through all these pages to find you.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
From personal experience as someone who played goalie in pick up ball hockey for 3 games in 2006, it's easier to stay in the game by getting shots.

In Carey's case he wasn't getting any shots and he's watching that Goliath across from him earning 1st star. That's not a good position mentally for a goalie.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Dekes are how to beat a big lump like Bishop. The problem is there's only a few forwards on this team who aren't embarassing at it.

This. Bishop's lateral movement isn't great.

Unfortunately for us, tonight, the Sens did a good job of taking away the cross-ice pass.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know what frustrates me more, losing a game like that or going on this board after a loss... :laugh: I think that may have been Montreal's most dominant performance offensively not only this season but in a very long time. Unfortunately for us, they ran into a goalie that was REALLY hot, and not any kind of goalie: A ****ing giant. I liked all of our lines tonight, I don't think Gionta should be crucified like some of you are suggesting although I will never understand why our coaches always uses him in crucial situations during the SO. Is he like the Queen Elizabeth and it's all symbolic? It's a mark of respect to send him out there since he's our captain? It has to be it because he probably has the worst vision out of all of our offensive weapons up front. I did understand the decision for our players to try to go five hole on Bishop, he's 6'7 so that means he has a huge five hole with those long legs of his, but the problem is that our players didn't had any dekes prior to shooting it there, they just went up to him and shot it there, gotta make it harder than that to beat a goalie that was rock solid tonight. I thought Diaz, Gallagher and Desharnais were our best players tonight. A lot of things went uncalled tonight except for the final minutes of the game and OT, those infractions were done on Gally and Desharnais. We outplayed the Sens really badly and I don't see how any person on this board with two eyes that operate normally or any knowledge for hockey can consider today's game as a negative and a sign that our team isn't that good. They hit 3 posts without mentionning the amount of goals that Bishop stole from us. It wasn't one of those cases where our players just shot the puck at the goalie, Bishop was simply lights out tonight. Price looked shaky from the start, he didn't have the greatest game. He let in a softie that could have made the game much easier for us and he struggled on some shots that he normally controls without a problem. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking on Regin's goal but it doesn't give me much confidence on the emphasis he's put on SO. Subban was pretty awful tonight, he was too fancy with the puck and overthought every thing when he had the puck. A bunch of times he could've given the puck to Bouillon or another teammate but he decided to play overplay the puck. I'm not worried with this team but thank god there are no shootouts in the playoff or we'd be doomed.
Holy paragraph.

Milan the God*

Posted some of this on the main board but wanted to give a Sens fans opinion on you guys.

I thought you guys being at the top of the conference was a fluke. You guys deserved it, obviously, but I thought it was a hot streak and you'd be down in no time. Not anymore.

You guys are a really good team. A lot of skill throughout your lineup. But you guys had an amazing work ethic. You won battles all night long, hustled on loose pucks and won foot races. Every time a Senator would get a puck you'd have someone on top of them taking it right back. I was waiting all game for a goal explosion but Bishop played amazing and you guys hit a lot of posts.

Really liked Galchenyuk's game. He really catches your eye, especially for a 19 year old. This is our third meeting, so I've gotten to see him a bit. Great vision and great hockey IQ. Might be off-base here based on my limited viewings but it seemed like he needs to improve his finishing.

Anyways, haven't seen a team play Ottawa like Montreal did this year yet. It was like you guys knew what play we were making every time and beat us to it.

Good luck with your season. Hopefully you guys beat the Leafs on Wednesday! Get em' back for that last loss against them. Enjoy.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Guys, you gotta understand the position that MT is in. He is playing Gionta for purely political reasons. It is just plain stupid for any coach to coach himself out of a captains favour. I know gionta's playing horribly but in the end, the captain is the one who has the players ears.

There will be bumps in the road this season. Players will get frustrated. The captain usually gets vented to before a player speaks directly to the coach. If the captain not only agrees with these complaints but joins in on bashing the coach behind his back, it's the beginning of the end for the coach. The players will band together, gradually stop playing for him and MT will get fired.

It's unfortunate but it's a league where players are bigger than coaches. No matter how much MT talks about how he will play the players who deserve to play, he has to makes some exceptions. I don't agree with what he is doing with Subban but if I were him, I would play Gionta the way MT is currently playing him.

The bright side is even with MT playing the worst version of Gionta I have ever seen, we are still winning and getting points these days.

Cheers.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Guys, you gotta understand the position that MT is in. He is playing Gionta for purely political reasons. It is just plain stupid for any coach to coach himself out of a captains favour. I know gionta's playing horribly but in the end, the captain is the one who has the players ears.

There will be bumps in the road this season. Players will get frustrated. The captain usually gets vented to before a player speaks directly to the coach. If the captain not only agrees with these complaints but joins in on bashing the coach behind his back, it's the beginning of the end for the coach. The players will band together, gradually stop playing for him and MT will get fired.

It's unfortunate but it's a league where players are bigger than coaches. No matter how much MT talks about how he will play the players who deserve to play, he has to makes some exceptions. I don't agree with what he is doing with Subban but if I were him, I would play Gionta the way MT is currently playing him.

The bright side is even with MT playing the worst version of Gionta I have ever seen, we are still winning and getting points these days.

Cheers.

Also you have to let Gionta play through this otherwise just shop him. He wont get out of his funk on the 4th line and that is a big contract to go sour on you when you could have given the guy a chance to redeem himself.

It would be like pulling your top goalie after he lets in one bad goal, you destroy his confidence and could turn a bad situation into a nightmare.

I can understand giving Gionta some rope, it's not like we are battling for 8th place with two games left.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
The hate and disrespect for Gionta is sickening. He's been the Habs leading scorer two out of the last three seasons. He's always scored in bunches and been a slow starter.

Jesus, listen to yourselves, you're trying to crucify one player for everything that goes wrong. Yeah he's made some bad plays and fanned on the shootout attempt. **** happens. He'll come out of his slump.

The "what have you done for me lately"-attitude of some people is infuriating. Always so quick to forget and always looking for someone to blame.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Ben Bishop carried them, end of story. Habs had an amazing game, and we all know Price is awful in the shootout. We should've won, but it happens when you run into hot goalies.

this i dont get.. ya he had a rough year last year but tonight price was pretty solid and did pretty damn good in the shoot out and made some good saves.. it went what 6 rounds? not because of guys scoring but only cause price was making the saves.. unfortunately with the line up of shooters we sent out we didnt stand much of a chance.. i was expecting galchenyuk to be the only goal in that line up ... and on that note where the eff was eller in the line shoot out line up?

any ways price might not be a shoot out god but people need to stop being so "absolute" in the way the potray him.. he had 1 rough year with em (as did the whole team) and so far this year hes been more than decent.. didnt he win the only other shoot out he faced so far this year? so people dont keep him in this "hes horrible at shoot outs" box that people seem to like too..

ok ...sorry for my rant ... as you were everybody, as you were.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
A lot of you guys need to take an Ativan or something and calm the frick down. Here is the REAL game story.

The team as a whole played unreal. All the lines seemed to be clicking and got some scoring chances (even the 4th) at some point, and they got 45 shots (!) on net. BEN BISHOP WON THIS GAME FOR THE SENS. Nobody on the Habs lost it, he won it. Plain and simple. We still got a point, and we're still 1st in the East. For those saying they played brutal or they're not a first place team, turn TSN off and actually watch a 60 minute game for once.

Price - Didn't play bad, didn't play great. Fought the puck all night, especially the glove hand. Yes, he looked bad on both goals in the S/O but he made 3 saves to give them a chance to win. You're not going to win a S/O if you don't score.

Subban - Didn't play as bad as people want to say he did. Yeah he didn't look "amazing" like he usually does (and he does) but he didn't "have his worst game as a Hab" like I saw a Habs reporter say. Come on people.

Gionta - Again, not as bad as people are saying. Has he regressed? Yes. But it just seems like fans have a need for a new scapegoat every year/stretch of games. We're first in the East people, let it go. He'll start scoring again and you'll be back to wanting to lynch Colby Armstrong for being a 4th liner and not scoring every two games.

In the words of the GREAT Carey Price... Chill out.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Habs fans have been baby whiners and it will never stop. Whether it's Patrick Roy having a bad night or Gionta not having the best start in his career, people don't have time to waste thinking that we're just out of a lock-out year or that some athletes don't always perform at the best of their abilities.

Habs fans think their owed to have a team full of Crosbys and cups every year. When we win we're the best professional hockey team when we lose we should consider tanking.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
facepalm-gif-33.gif

I'm not putting these two in the same category. I'm simply stating the fact that whenever one of our players is experiencing difficulties, we jump on them like a bunch of dieting hyenas having a relapse.

Last edited:

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
any ways price might not be a shoot out god but people need to stop being so "absolute" in the way the potray him.. he had 1 rough year with em (as did the whole team) and so far this year hes been more than decent.. didnt he win the only other shoot out he faced so far this year? so people dont keep him in this "hes horrible at shoot outs" box that people seem to like too..

I'm mystified. Price let in one goal in regulation, had a save percentage of .958, let in 2 goals through FIVE rounds of the shootout, and he's being blamed for the loss???

I don't understand why some Habs fans fail to understand Price is a great young goaltender. He's ranked 4th in GAA, 12th in save percentage and more importantly, the Habs are ranked FIRST in the Eastern Conference. What is up with the hatred towards him??

Sorry for the rant; I'll show myself out.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Who are the jackasses saying Price isn't a top goalie? Identify yourselves. I have a stat that'll shame you. Come on, who are you? I can't be bothered to go back and read through all these pages to find you.

erm... me! ill humor you, carey sucks. reimer is better than him

your turn

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm not sure what people are so upset about. The Habs dominated the game from start to finish and Bishop was a brick wall. If they play like that every game then you are winning like 95% of the time. Two points would have been great but the team played very well last night and were just unlucky. It happens, get over it.

Halifaxhab*

I'm not sure what people are so upset about. The Habs dominated the game from start to finish and Bishop was a brick wall. If they play like that every game then you are winning like 95% of the time. Two points would have been great but the team played very well last night and were just unlucky. It happens, get over it.

and BOOM goes the dynamite!

On to the rest

losing in the 5th rd of a shootout to a team that had a goalie play like that? no shame.

And to those calling out Price for his "poor performance" in the shootout....where are your jabs at Gionta, Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Gallagher for missing. One goal from them would have won it as much as one more save from Price. Look at that, a team game relying on multiple people...shocking.

They play like this the rest of the year, and we will have alot of W's

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
On to the next one. With a tad bit more luck, we wouldn't be even talking about Price. We've hit what, 4 posts? Serves me right to go to Ottawa's GDT and wish em' good luck.

Next game up, The Maple Leafs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad