Yashin vs Sundin, who was better in their primes?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I feel like picking peak Sundin for a playoff or an best on best intl tournament versus peak Yashin isn't an unreasonable stance at all (in fact seem an easy pick for an olympics/world cup).

Considering that the edge for Yashin is at best that close, prime wise would go to Sundin.

he wasn't at the level sundin internationally, but if i'm not mistaken isn't yashin thought of as a sundin-y heart and soul guy for team russia and didn't he captain some best on best teams?

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
he wasn't at the level sundin internationally, but if i'm not mistaken isn't yashin thought of as a sundin-y heart and soul guy for team russia and didn't he captain some best on best teams?

Would be better if a Russian spoke up on this, but from me, the answer is NO! I saw him hav only one particularly good tournament (after checking out, it was the 99 WCH), right after his no-show NHL postseason. He was really good, but Russia still won nothing.

If I was to pick one good Russian who kinda flew under the radar from the same era, it would be Morozov.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Yashin was one of the most beloved players in Russia around the year 2000. He always played at the Worlds. I mean his nickname is Captain Russia.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have LOATHED Yashin.

Few non-Euros on this site have pimped Euros more than i have, especially Soviets (gawd, how i have pimped undervalued Larionov, awesome Fetisov) and Russians (my Bure, my fanhood over OV, heck Yushkevich as one of the greatest defensive dmen of his generation).

Yashin is a talented ***** slap: hit him hard and early and he folds like origami!

Captain Yashin? vs. Captain Peca.
Find a dozen of the former before a hundred of the latter and I'll call you a bald-faced liar.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yashin was one of the most beloved players in Russia around the year 2000. He always played at the Worlds. I mean his nickname is Captain Russia.

Yes, and they called Ryan Smyth "Captain Canada", still didn't make him better than Sundin. By the way, both Smyth and Yashin were in the 2020 IIHF class recently (along with Kimmo Timonen and Mark Streit).

IIHF - Legends join IIHF Hall of Fame

Some people just like to represent the national team. Sundin not only liked to represent the national team though but was also a beast while doing it. Sundin's peak just at the international level crumbles anything Yashin can come up with peak wise.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Outside of his rookie/final seasons and the 1995 lockout, the lowest amount of goals Sundin ever scored was 27. The man was a powerhouse.

My favorite anecdote -

Excluding his rookie season, the shortened lockout season and his half season with Vancouver, Sundin scored at least 70 points in every season of his career, played at least 70 games in every season and led the Maple Leafs in points in every year he was with the team save for 2002–03, when Alexander Mogilny beat him by seven points.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Yes, and they called Ryan Smyth "Captain Canada", still didn't make him better than Sundin. By the way, both Smyth and Yashin were in the 2020 IIHF class recently (along with Kimmo Timonen and Mark Streit).

IIHF - Legends join IIHF Hall of Fame

Some people just like to represent the national team. Sundin not only liked to represent the national team though but was also a beast while doing it. Sundin's peak just at the international level crumbles anything Yashin can come up with peak wise.

I didn't say anything about Sundin, just presented the facts. Yashin WAS one of the fan favourites in Russia, because most people couldn't follow the NHL twenty years ago like nowadays. Most Russians saw their NHLers at the Worlds or Olympics and Yashin was always there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad