Yashin as a commentator

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Claiming Yashin is unfit for the job because he has a Russian accent and is under the influence of goons is where the OP lost me. That’s just mindless drivel.

All the needs to be said is that Yashin is unfit because his English is not good enough to articulate his thoughts, and/or he just sucks in front of a camera.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
This is unhinged.

I'm okay with criticism that say that a commentator lacks insight or is boring. But criticizing him for not speaking "proper English"? You're a bigot.

On an English language broadcast, for the national broadcaster of a mostly English-speaking country, how is it not a fair criticism if a commentator does not have strong English communication skills? The bar for pronunciation/enunciation and overall clarity should be set high for being on CBC television. He doesn't need to speak unaccented English (as if there were such a thing), but he does need to be clear.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
On an English language broadcast, for the national broadcaster of a mostly English-speaking country, how is it not a fair criticism if a commentator does not have strong English communication skills? The bar for pronunciation/enunciation and overall clarity should be set high for being on CBC television. He doesn't need to speak unaccented English (as if there were such a thing), but he does need to be clear.

Canada is a multicultural country that consists of people of different nationalities and accents. There are people with accents that work for its government and corporations. And they make a living and most of the time people look down upon attitudes that condemn them for not speaking "proper" queen's english.

To my ears, Yashin speaks clearly and I have heard numerous people compliment him for his work for the CBC. This thread is just petty and the OP's agenda is pretty transparent.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
But his English is capable. The poster just doesn't like listening to someone with an accent and to make an effort to understand him.

It isn't capable at all though and it has nothing to do with an accent and everything to do with him not speaking English well enough to be on an English language program.

When the points he is making aren't really great either and there are so many more qualified and better options out there then yes the criticism is valid.

It was a baffling decision from the start that only looks worse because of how awful he has been.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It isn't capable at all though and it has nothing to do with an accent and everything to do with him not speaking English well enough to be on an English language program.

I think his English is good enough based on what I have heard. But your next point...

When the points he is making aren't really great either and there are so many more qualified and better options out there then yes the criticism is valid.

... is a stronger one. Maybe Yashin lacks some experience and insight. I'm fine with that.

I wish this thread was motivated by a genuine concern about quality of commentating. But the CBC is better off when hiring commentators of different nationalities, and this is the Olympics after all. People have to accept that not every commentator will have a perfect accent and sometimes not a great grasp of English.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I wish this thread was motivated by a genuine concern about quality of commentating. But the CBC is better off when hiring commentators of different nationalities, and this is the Olympics after all. People have to accept that not every commentator will have a perfect accent and sometimes not a great grasp of English.

No they aren't better off when hiring commentators of different nationalities at all. The are better off when hiring the best people for the job.

And if this were a sport where the available talent pool of experts was small then maybe having someone who struggled to speak english (it isn't the accent that is the problem) but provided awesome analysis then sure you deal with it, but when the are hundreds of people more qualified, that bring much better analysis then it makes zero sense to put in a bad analyst who can't speak English.

As for his English being good enough for you I am sure you being Russian (or Russian heritage) has nothing to do with it

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Ive had no problem with him. He’s not that hard to understand (a little too quiet in my mind, though) and his comments have been pretty good. I’m sure there were Canadians who could do it but I don’t care all that much.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
if this were a sport where the available talent pool of experts was small then maybe having someone who struggled to speak english (it isn't the accent that is the problem) but provided awesome analysis then sure you deal with it

Thank you for your tolerance.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Nothing against the guy but he sounds kinda monotone. I almost fell asleep listening to him.

Reactions: Sentinel

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It's not just about Yashin.

I've hated PJ Stock for years and somehow they've brought him back from the dead. He can barely string together coherent sentences.

It's kind of the "B" team of commentators.

At least we have Cuthbert and Ferraro calling the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad