Prospect Info: Yaroslav Askarov, #11 Overall Pick

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Last I looked McDavid wasn't drafted at #11. If he was that level we wouldn't be having this conversation because he would have been drafted long before he got to us.

But whatever it's done. I guess I can enjoy watching him in 4 years when we are looking to rebuild and it won't really matter if he is good or not. Well assuming he doesn't decide he wouldn't just be better off staying in Russia at that point.

That's the whole reason we drafted him, he's the 3-4th rated talent in his draft class and we got him at 11.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You're right, I forgot to add Cam Ward and Hannu Toivonen to the list.

Knight is tbd. Samsonov as well.

And no, your argument is very, very false. Lehtonen, Price, Fluery, Bernier, Campbell, Leclaire and DiPietro were all taken either before pick 11 or at pick 11.
Who cares where they were taken? One year's 1OA might not make the other year's top10. It's what level of prospect they were considered to be.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
His draft position says he was the 11th rated talent, and 3rd or 4th still isn't McDavid level as was suggested.

His draft position only says that other teams didn't want to gamble on taking a goalie that high. I've seen him as high as 4th but the lowest I've seen him is 15th. If Lafreniere has generational potential, and Byfield, Stutzle and Askarov all have franchise potential that would make Askarov amongst the top 4 in terms of potential.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So you've got one that is ok, another that may be ok, and one that hasn't done a thing.

I don't think your additions did a whole lot to change anyone's mind.
I found the list to actually be kind of impressive. And yes, Samsonov and Knight and also Oettinger add significant value to that list. It's like saying we got almost a sure-fire NHLer with fairly strong odds of being an NHL starter. That's what the list said to me. Not that I even really care much about the list, since my own eyeballs tell me Askarov looks great.

My argument against picking Askarov isn't so much on that front. It's just on the rest of our organizational depth perspective.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Cool video. Sounds like they didn't think Askarov would be there for our pick and were pretty hyped to get him. Couldn't quite make out all the deals they were talking about. Heard 11 and 37 for 8 which means we could have gotten Quinn, Rossi, or Perfetti if we wanted. Would've killed the Bonino trade too which I think they referenced as already being tentatively agreed to early on in the video.

Pretty fascinating video and interesting to consider how quickly they have to make some of these decisions.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Nice little video. They for sure did not expect Askarov to be there.

Could have pushed back on Buffalo and said 11 & 42 for 8, Take Quinn at 8 and then still make the move with Minnesota.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
That inside peek is a good way to make me think they made this pick knowing full well what they were getting at #11.

Still not ecstatic but let's wait and see if the future me will be.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
If they had done 11 and 37 for 8... they would have just picked Askarov at #8, right? :dunno:

Probably, which is why they didn't make the move. You hear Poile in that video saying Minnesota needs a C and they must have felt WPG wouldn't take him.

Jul 12, 2007
That list really seems to show that goalies are a fickle bunch. Nobody on the list stepped in to play in the NHL asap, like a McDavid. And some just remain perennial “great” prospects, not players. It’s a boom or bust pick, and the boom likelihood is small. McDavid’s not a # 11 or a # 1 ....... he’s a # 1 out of 5 years.

Jul 12, 2007
Fleury’s HOF, Price a fine career, Vasilevski looking good. Not a big return for a list that long. I think goalie is just a bit more shaky in the draft. Teams make their own luck with development, and just the right signing or trade for a breakout season from a G. Look at Binnington, Murray, etc. Pekka took a long time to develop, and his window was short.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
His draft position says he was the 11th rated talent, and 3rd or 4th still isn't McDavid level as was suggested.
It's not always the case. Kopitar definitely wasn't the 11th best talent in his draft year even though teams passed on him (to take the likes of Gilbert Brule and Benoit Pouliot, among others). Forsberg was definitely better than the 11th pick going into his draft year. The pros like to talk about always taking the best player available, but there's rarely consensus on who that is at any given pick and teams obviously don't always follow that and have other motivations for making their selections.

Jul 12, 2007
Are Nashville fans still not able to admit they lost a gem in Radulov and it was the Preds' fault? I mean Dallas does enjoy the outcome.

For all the yearning for O, Askarov is a no-brainer pick. And for the time when he is starting for the Preds you can get a whole lot of O still.
Radulov has had a nice career; he’s a talented scorer. Preds just seem to elicit the worst or weirdest in players. Legwand scored like a million junior goals before his draft, then he immediately turned into a solid 2-way 3rd liner. Radulov injures Arnott in the playoffs in a goal celebration, then runs home to Russia, then comes back for 2 games, then runs back home again. Then comes back again to DAL. Big Mac sprains his knee and never enforced for us. Grim Reaper gets beat to death by Laraque before his furniture is even delivered. Just bad juju I guess. Karalahti .... the other guy who beat his wife .... some bad decisions lol.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Legwand probably does well on a more established system. He peaked at about 60 points but he came to a team without any insulation in the pre cap days. I don't think he immediately turns into a 2-way 3rd liner, but he was intentionally forced to play a 2-way game early on. Any other team I think he's a better scorer.

Reactions: glenngineer
Jul 12, 2007
I can tell you have some feelings going on here...
Lol, just having some fun. I liked those guys, really. But Hartnell was a second rounder, Upshall a third. Grinders, not first rounders. Preds have trouble with the first round. And it’s a tossup most of the time, some first rounders click and some don’t. But out of 10, you’re supposed to get a couple blue chippers who carry the team somewhere. Preds are oh-fer on that scale.

Jul 12, 2007
Legwand probably does well on a more established system. He peaked at about 60 points but he came to a team without any insulation in the pre cap days. I don't think he immediately turns into a 2-way 3rd liner, but he was intentionally forced to play a 2-way game early on. Any other team I think he's a better scorer.
Yeah, that’s a reasonable look at it. But it’s funny, I look at it through the lens of Trotz also. He never seemed to like either the big offense or the tough guys. But he learned to love Ovy and Wilson, now didn’t he ? Now with Isles he’s loaded with good young talent and big bad guys. And he’s done very nicely in Washington and NY.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, that’s a reasonable look at it. But it’s funny, I look at it through the lens of Trotz also. He never seemed to like either the big offense or the tough guys. But he learned to love Ovy and Wilson, now didn’t he ? Now with Isles he’s loaded with good young talent and big bad guys. And he’s done very nicely in Washington and NY.

That's also 15+ years of experience on Trotz's part. He came into the league the same year Legwand was drafted.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's also 15+ years of experience on Trotz's part. He came into the league the same year Legwand was drafted.
Yep. Trotz in his years with us spent a huge amount of energy trying to mold players into what he thought they should. Now with young guys some of that is needed, but there were times it felt like it was extreme. Today he seems to mold but not turn them into bologna and then try to pop out a different player.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad