Waived: Yannick Weber waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers and assigned to Utica)

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I don't think he'll get more than 600k, but if you take off the taxes it might be more in Switzerland.

Who wouldn't want to work in Switzerland though (I mean, nothing against Utica, but working overseas - especially Switzerland - might appeal to a number of people)?

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I think the appeal of making decent money at home might offset a small loss of earnings. Utica is nice too, I suppose.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
hopefully Utica, they could use him and as a call up is a good depth option. Can anyone shed light on why a guy like Alberts couldn't be sent down on a conditioning assignment just to get him some ice time?

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Well this makes perfect sense actually. Fact is, if Tortorella and the assistants are too stubborn to even try Weber on the powerplay when he is dressed, there is literally zero point to carrying him on the roster.

He is poor defensively. He was brought in, presumably, to offer a RHS on the powerplay. If they won't use him, might as well waive him. I don't agree with the usage, especially with how dreadful the powerlay has been, but if that's how the coaches are playing things, so be it.

It does utterly amaze me sometimes when coaches flat out refuse to put certain players in positions to succeed.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Who wouldn't want to work in Switzerland though (I mean, nothing against Utica, but working overseas - especially Switzerland - might appeal to a number of people)?

Every year the Spengler Cup makes me freak out at how amazing Switzerland looks, I'd totally live there.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Every year the Spengler Cup makes me freak out at how amazing Switzerland looks, I'd totally live there.

People think Vancouver is expensive; Switzerland is worse.

Plus if you go there, you are not allowed to cheer for anyone. Everyone is to be treated equal.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
it is expensive but absolutely everything is covered by taxes, including education.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Why Weber instead of Alberts, Dalpe or Welsh?

Weber showed in the preseason that he's a trainwreck defensively. When Weber did draw in, it was as a 4th line forward. I don't recall him playing a single game as a D-man for us this season other than preseason. Stanton basically took his job, which he lost at the end of the preseason.

Why not Alberts? Well for starters he's 6' 5" and can draw in for a physical game or series. Yes he had a bad preseason, but he's a known quantity for us.

Welsh? He's earned his job so far, no reason to send him down just to keep Weber around.

Dalpe? They just burned a 4th rounder to pick him up. They aren't going to give up on him this quickly.

Oh, and Cam Barker is now playing in Kazakhstan with Barys Astana, and is the only minus player after 3 games played.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Pretty much. Weber is cringe worthy.

Alberts can passably play NHL defense. Weber cannot. Its kind of an important thing when you are a defenseman.

I don't think the difference in their defending is significant enough to justify keeping AA over him compared to what Weber can provide. We've seen Alberts long enough to know what he can do, and that is 'not much except hit', really.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I don't think the difference in their defending is significant enough to justify keeping AA over him compared to what Weber can provide. We've seen Alberts long enough to know what he can do, and that is 'not much except hit', really.

Alberts was fine last season in his own end, so we have seen he can be ok when hes playing well, he was bad this season, but weber has not looked good in his limited time here, he was awful as well in his own end in pre season.

Also weber is just never going to crack the line up being just a PP shooter, our D eats a ton of minutes. Corrado is probably going to be passing alberts and weber on the depth chart shrotly.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not surprised.

Thought it was a stupid signing in the first place. He's a player without a niche in the NHL. Not good enough at anything to justify a roster spot really. Not great defensively, physically overmatched by nearly everyone on the ice, not a great puck mover or point producer, not really a PP QB. Just serves no purpose other than 'filler'.

:dunno:

Castle1*

Little over reaction here imo. One of 3 or 4 plugs. Who cares?

We should worry more about getting the scoring forward we need. This barely affects the Canucks in any way.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Alberts was fine last season in his own end, so we have seen he can be ok when hes playing well, he was bad this season, but weber has not looked good in his limited time here, he was awful as well in his own end in pre season.

Also weber is just never going to crack the line up being just a PP shooter, our D eats a ton of minutes. Corrado is probably going to be passing alberts and weber on the depth chart shrotly.

While true, you always have to account for the possibility of injuries. It's all well and good to say Alberts will be fine as a 7th guy since he won't play, but when guys start going down... which is why I never understood that line of thinking. When both guys look similarly awful in their own zone anyway, I think the versatility should be the deciding factor. Meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->