Waived: Yannick Weber waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers and assigned to Utica)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Why the **** would we send Welsh down when he's proven he's capable of being a 4C without being a total liability? You want Welsh and Weise at the same time, not one or the other.

Tanevian*

Why the **** would we send Welsh down when he's proven he's capable of being a 4C without being a total liability? You want Welsh and Weise at the same time, not one or the other.

What? We want Weber in the press box watching games.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Forgive my seemly stupidity; I'm just trying to wrap my head around why the Canucks, who have gone to extreme lengths to retain such quality stars as Andrew Ebbett and Andrew Alberts in the past, would expose a seemingly superior commodity in Yannick Weber to waivers. Thusly, I'm trying to see what other avenues were at their disposal.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Forgive my seemly stupidity; I'm just trying to wrap my head around why the Canucks, who have gone to extreme lengths to retain such quality stars as Andrew Ebbett and Andrew Alberts in the past, would expose a seemingly superior commodity in Yannick Weber to waivers. Thusly, I'm trying to see what other avenues were at their disposal.

Alberts and Weber are both equally terrible in their own ways.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I could actually see someone taking a chance on Weber. $600k is a reasonable salary for a guy with his potential (special teams, etc.)

I don't get this at all. If the goal is to clear up space without losing assets, Alberts would have had a far greater chance of clearing, IMO.

No kidding. Still don't get why Weber wasn't even used on the PP by the coaching staff considering how awful it's been. Mind boggling.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
No kidding. Still don't get why Weber wasn't even used on the PP by the coaching staff considering how awful it's been. Mind boggling.

Because you can't afford to dress a player to play a whopping 4 minutes a game only on the PP. It would mean sitting Stanton or Tanev on defense or making our 4th baby poo soft by sitting Tostitos. Sestito is a tragic hockey player but he at least has some marginal 4th line skill set. Weber is 5'9" and doesn't hit, isn't defensively responsible.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Alberts and Weber are both equally terrible in their own ways.

That is being generous to Alberts, who has been nothing short of atrocious since the drop of the puck at the pre-season.

Weber isn't very good, I'll agree to that. But in contrast to how "well" Alberts has done this season, he's looked astronomically better.

Tanevian*

My guess is because they know he isn't as good as any of the 5 D that had a chance. God, you'd think this guy was as talented as Yannick Tremblay.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

he isn't a superior commodity. he has done nothing to prove he is anything better.

This team likely wants welsh up because he is a serviceable 4th line center. With Booth being as bad as he was last game i have a feeling he'll be finding himself on the 4th line or in the pressbox next game. Richardson would then be moved up.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That is being generous to Alberts, who has been nothing short of atrocious since the drop of the puck at the pre-season.

Weber isn't very good, I'll agree to that. But in contrast to how "well" Alberts has done this season, he's looked astronomically better.

They're both non-entities, was my point. Weber might get claimed, he probably won't. Alberts probably wouldn't have gotten claimed, but he might have. Hell, the decision could have been down to Weber taking the last everything bagel which is Torts' favourite.*

*Obviously this is not the situation, it is sarcasm. I feel the need to clarify this before someone asks what my inside sources are.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Because you can't afford to dress a player to play a whopping 4 minutes a game only on the PP. It would mean sitting Stanton or Tanev on defense or making our 4th baby poo soft by sitting Tostitos. Sestito is a tragic hockey player but he at least has some marginal 4th line skill set. Weber is 5'9" and doesn't hit, isn't defensively responsible.

I'm not talking about dressing him a D and playing him ahead of any of our top 6. He was dressed as a forward on the 4th line for a few games because of injuries and he didn't get a sniff on the PP.

7thGuest

Apr 29, 2009
Canada
My conspiracy theory: Weber is to be sent down to replace Frank Corrado (both play RD), who will be traded to Florida after the Nucks-Panthers game on Tue.

There is a rumor that Canucks may be interested in Shawn Matthias. If this trade is to happen, it will most likely take place after Tue. By then Weber should have cleared.

I think Corrado > Matthias, so if this is to happen it better be Corrado for Matthias +.

Just a wild guess...

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Dalpe, Alberts and Weber all would be insignificant pieces to waive. Likely that none of them get picked up, and none of them are currently contributing on the roster. I think Dalpe should be waived next, since he could definitely help and potentially develop into a future piece of value with the team. Then again, maybe not while Toronto is busy fiending on it's cravings for more centers in the lineup.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm not talking about dressing him a D and playing him ahead of any of our top 6. He was dressed as a forward on the 4th line for a few games because of injuries and he didn't get a sniff on the PP.

It's the same reason that Hamhuis is still on the 1PP. Because Gulutzan has a touch of the Pejorative Slur.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
My conspiracy theory: Weber is to be sent down to replace Frank Corrado (both play RD), who will be traded to Florida after the Nucks-Panthers game on Tue.

There is a rumor that Canucks may be interested in Shawn Matthias. If this trade is to happen, it will most likely take place after Tue. By then Weber should have cleared.

I think Corrado > Matthias, so if this is to happen it better be Corrado for Matthias +.

Just a wild guess...

If Gillis moves Corrado for Matthais I will actually go to Florida and act on Tallon's behalf and decline the trade.

Tanevian*

Just a wild guess...

That would be awful unless the + was something meaningful.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
he isn't a superior commodity. he has done nothing to prove he is anything better.

This team likely wants welsh up because he is a serviceable 4th line center. With Booth being as bad as he was last game i have a feeling he'll be finding himself on the 4th line or in the pressbox next game. Richardson would then be moved up.

Put it this way - if this move is meant to precipitate Dale Weise's return to the lineup, as has been speculated, where on the roster will Jeremy Welsh fall? It looks to me as though he would become the 13th forward. I think he'd be better served in Utica, developing, if this is the case.

They're both non-entities, was my point. Weber might get claimed, he probably won't. Alberts probably wouldn't have gotten claimed, but he might have. Hell, the decision could have been down to Weber taking the last everything bagel which is Torts' favourite.*

*Obviously this is not the situation, it is sarcasm. I feel the need to clarify this before someone asks what my inside sources are.

I understand that both are ideally players who we don't want to see suiting up on the team. I also understand Alberts has some history with this team. That doesn't, in my eyes, alter the fact that he has been noticeably more horrid than Weber has been of late. I'm not a particular fan of waiving players when we still have Alberts keeping seats warm in the pressbox.

EDIT: And where is this rumor that the Canucks are interested in Shawn Matthias coming from?

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Put it this way - if this move is meant to precipitate Dale Weise's return to the lineup, as has been speculated, where on the roster will Jeremy Welsh fall? It looks to me as though he would become the 13th forward. I think he'd be better served in Utica, developing, if this is the case.

I understand that both are ideally players who we don't want to see suiting up on the team. I also understand Alberts has some history with this team. That doesn't, in my eyes, alter the fact that he has been noticeably more horrid than Weber has been of late. I'm not a particular fan of waiving players when we still have Alberts keeping seats warm in the pressbox.

EDIT: And where is this rumor that the Canucks are interested in Shawn Matthias coming from?

Shawn Mattias rumour is on the main board, according to The Score

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad