Waived: Yannick Weber waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers and assigned to Utica)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
they probably kept alberts because he provides an element that weber doesn't have and that is physicality. not like it matters though since they both play like a minute a game.

Our size and physicality from the back end is fine. We need offense which is something Alberts never has and never will provide.

This also means that an injury will result in Alberts being in the lineup.

Tanevian*

You know it's bad when people are bemoaning the demotion of a pointless, 8th dman.

If he didn't score a birthday preseason goal nobody would care.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Derek Roy played every game he was with Vancouver for and they were significant minutes.

One of these things is not like the others. Actually two because Cam Barker was an atrocity at everything.

i guess i meant that none of those guys was utilized in the role that he was brought in to potentially fill. like barker, who is terrible. but the one thing he has ever done at the NHL level is work a PP, albeit years and years ago. now he probably would have sucked there too, but our PP was garbage; wasn't worth a shot once or twice? not like it was going to cost us goals we weren't going to score anyway. exactly the same as weber.

as for roy, stuck him there at the end yeah it's debatable. but i don't think AV put him in a position to succeed at all. just didn't give him the leash to be derek roy; tried to make him chris kelly or something like that. boggles the mind.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I could actually see someone taking a chance on Weber. $600k is a reasonable salary for a guy with his potential (special teams, etc.)

I don't get this at all. If the goal is to clear up space without losing assets, Alberts would have had a far greater chance of clearing, IMO.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
You know it's bad when people are bemoaning the demotion of a pointless, 8th dman.

If he didn't score a birthday preseason goal nobody would care.

Pretty much. Weber is cringe worthy.

Weber can skate at the NHL level and is a puckmover. Alberts can't and isn't.

Alberts can passably play NHL defense. Weber cannot. Its kind of an important thing when you are a defenseman.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
With all the big forward teams..you need some size on defence.Also th replacement for weber is Corrado whether now or most likely th least 20 games and/or playoffs.

Bottom line neither dman were getting a sniff anyways

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
If Alberts can play passable NHL defense, why hasn't he been in the lineup? As far as I can tell, Weber held on this long because of his versatility. Alberts can't play the wing in a pinch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Feel bad for Weber.

Alberts still being here is a disgrace. He was outplayed by everybody at training camp. Coaching staff has no confidence in him. Is completely unplayable.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If Alberts can play passable NHL defense, why hasn't he been in the lineup? As far as I can tell, Weber held on this long because of his versatility. Alberts can't play the wing in a pinch.

Because Stanton is better at it than him?

Weber was a ****** 4th line winger as well. The effect is negligible.

Tanevian*

He wasn't given much of a shot to prove he could be much more than a fill-in guy. We already know how crappy Alberts is.

Perhaps he did nothing to earn it. Or maybe the staff "already knows how crappy he is".

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
3-0 with AA in the line up.

Meaningful? Nope. Just like waiving Weber. It doesn't matter.

Pretty much agree. All I am saying is the PP has sucked and most likely won't improve that much. Weber's strongest asset is his offense. They didn't give him a chance on the back end on the PP. He could potentially add something different on the back end. Alberts sucks offensively and isn't much better defensively.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Alberts has averaged 4 minutes a game, and he has played 3 games. He's terrible.

That's 12 minutes of ice time.

perd1-650x358.jpg

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The effect is less than negligible. If this move mattered at all we are already screwed.

No kidding. If our 7th/8th D-man is dictating how successful of a team we are... we are so ****ed.

I can't think of a team that has a better 7th d-man than Alberts. I'm not saying he's an amazing 7th D, I'm basically saying they all blow dogs for quarters and they all look equally terrible when they actually have to play minutes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Isn't Welsh non-waiver eligible as well? If the Canucks were just trying to clear roster room for Weise coming back, they could have sent Welsh down without risking losing anyone...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad