Trade: Yannick Ngakoue traded to Vikings (and signs 1 year deal)

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Awesome news. Him on one end and Hunter on the other should be fun. Although theories of Hunter being more injured then what the Vikings are saying and Yannick is basically replacing him for the season(although it's been reported that's he's coming back soon). Also other theories were Hunter isn't injured and wants more money and the Vikings plan on trading Hunter. Hopefully that's all false and both players remain a Viking for a couple of years.

This just occurred to me. Is this the Vikings going all in? Yannick could be just a rental. They couldn't get a long term deal done with Harris and were shopping him at the draft. Probably his final year with Minnesota. Same with Cook. Couldn't get a long term deal and would become a free agent after this season. If this is them going all in, hopefully they improve their offensive line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

My first thought is that's all it took?

Jags should just put a big billboard in front of their stadium that says WE ARE TANKING FOR TREVOR and get it over with.

By rule, since this trade occurred after the deadline for a long term deal once the franchise tag was placed on him, there was limited value coming back. Clowney returned a 3rd round pick last season for example.

Still boggles my mind that the most recently ratified CBA still contains the franchise tag. I get that the majority of players are not impacted by this, so thus isn't a big issue for like 95% of the players.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like it. I think I would've preferred to sign Clowney or Griffen and keep the pick(s) but I can't complain about getting another young stud DE. Plus, no one knows what Clowney is looking for and Ngakoue will be better than Griffen considering his age.

Awesome news. Him on one end and Hunter on the other should be fun. Although theories of Hunter being more injured then what the Vikings are saying and Yannick is basically replacing him for the season(although it's been reported that's he's coming back soon). Also other theories were Hunter isn't injured and wants more money and the Vikings plan on trading Hunter. Hopefully that's all false and both players remain a Viking for a couple of years.

This just occurred to me. Is this the Vikings going all in? Yannick could be just a rental. They couldn't get a long term deal done with Harris and were shopping him at the draft. Probably his final year with Minnesota. Same with Cook. Couldn't get a long term deal and would become a free agent after this season. If this is them going all in, hopefully they improve their offensive line.

The Hunter absence is reaching a weird/concerning point but they're still talking like he's fine so I'll believe them for now. I don't think there's any chance he'd get traded though and they'll re-do his deal pretty soon. They took care of Thielen when he was clearly underpaid and his contract was a steal and they'll probably do the same with Hunter next year.

I think this all but ends any chance of Cook getting an extension. The Vikings have no money now and probably have to make another move like a Harrison Smith extension just to create some space to work with this season. Cook and his agent might've overplayed their hand because apparently the Vikings were willing to pay him around $10M/yr but he wanted more.

As always, the Vikings OL is the biggest question mark on the team and I can't see them as a legit contender unless they do something about it.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I think it’s really worth the risk but I also don’t think he’d sign the tender if he didn’t intend on staying. Vikings defense I have questions about their corners but their defense could be good enough to carry the offense no matter what.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it’s really worth the risk but I also don’t think he’d sign the tender if he didn’t intend on staying. Vikings defense I have questions about their corners but their defense could be good enough to carry the offense no matter what.

It's going to be very difficult to fit him in long-term. They were already going to be in a tough spot next year and that was before the cap likely decreasing by $20M+. They'll probably have to give Hunter a market value extension as well before paying Ngakoue. I think the inability to get a Cook extension done and Pierce opting out opened up the possibility of this trade because they gave them quite a bit of cap space to work with this year. It's still probably worth the risk though because even if he does walk after one season, they should get a 3rd round comp pick back for him the following year.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
How many big names are left on the Jaguars from that 2017 defense? That unit got torn apart real quick.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What? I thought his only option was to sign the franchise tender?

The negotiated CBA rule is that the player can only sign a 1 year deal after the franchise tag deadline. There's no requirement that the deal be equal to the franchise tag tender amount.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Really unfortunate for the Vikings they couldn't make things work with Diggs. Would look a whole lot better with him.

What's funny is they both use to have the same agent. Yannick dropped him. Diggs still has him and he's Bells agent too. I wonder who the issue is...

Reactions: David Suzuki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad