Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not "faulting" pp points. Just pointing out the obvious. 5 vs 4 is a competitive advantage. Would Barzal be on the 1st PP unit in Tampa? No. Should Barzal win? Of course, but Gourde should be right there.
No, he shouldn't. Gourde is great. Might end up being a finalist. Barzal is an elite player.

And it's not like Barzal has been on the first unit in New York all season. He forced his way there. (That being said I'd be down for Gourde replacing Killorn on the top unit).

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
I'd argue that Gourde is the top +/- player on one of, if not the top team in the NHL. Barzal's +/- is respectable given the situation though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The same people that give a **** about his points. The people voting on the calder.

You talk like those things are evenly weighted, it's one of the dumbest stats in hockey and looks silly in player comparison. Gourde is better than Barzal defensively is a given, that doesn't outweigh the massive offensive difference. To your argument, yes Barzal would likely be on the top unit here in Tampa with his skill-set and production level, you're talking like he would make us worse on the PP.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Who tried to say gourde over Barzal for Calder? Whaaaaa???

Best case he finishes 3rd because of the McAvoy injury.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Who tried to say gourde over Barzal for Calder? Whaaaaa???

Best case he finishes 3rd because of the McAvoy injury.

He's only 7 behind in ES points, has more goals, +30 more, gets more than 1:30 less ice time a game, 1:00 less PP time, has actually been on the ice in a short handed situation, it's not too far fetched. He won't win but has to be considered for a 1st place vote or two. He needed to keep his pace going, got a little off the past 9 games. Needs to try to get to 65 points for a better claim, so 7 points over the next 6 games which is doable.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's only 7 behind in ES points, has more goals, +30 more, gets more than 1:30 less ice time a game, 1:00 less PP time, has actually been on the ice in a short handed situation, it's not too far fetched. He won't win but has to be considered for a 1st place vote or two. He needed to keep his pace going, got a little off the past 9 games. Needs to try to get to 65 points for a better claim, so 7 points over the next 6 games which is doable.
Barzal is like the 4th best transition player in the NHL already. He's being held back by the islanders defense who can't get him the puck.

(Btw 4th after McDavid Kane and Hall)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Gourde has been lights out as a utility player, he's PPG on the season but could've easily had 2-3 more goals if he had a better shot. He has the best stick in the neutral zone and always reads those plays correctly.

He seems to be the modern version of the Nielsen/Filppula breeds who just do everything for a team, wonder if we trade Miller and keep Gourde cause it's going to suck losing this guy and his hustle.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Gourde has been lights out as a utility player, if he's PPG on the season but could've easily had 2-3 more goals if he had a better shot. He has the best stick in the neutral zone and always reads those plays correctly.

He seems to be the modern version of the Nielsen/Filppula breeds who just do everything for a team, wonder if we trade Miller and keep Gourde cause it's going to suck losing this guy and his hustle.
Yeah I was expecting him to look notquiteasgood this season, but... he looks the same. I'd easily trade Miller for him, but I don't know how feasible it is.

The numbers just don't look good this offseason for keeping the band together. And with guys like Volkov and Stephens in the pipeline, it just feels like we're going to have to let a forward walk. Callahan is gone (either through buyout or trade), but that doesn't quite get us there either.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Gourde has average overall talent but he takes that average talent and squeezes every last bit of utility out of it, which is why he is not an average player. And luck definitely had/has nothing to do with it.
I’d argue he’s an above average to very good passer and good defensive stick work combined with great speed, but yeah it’s his effort that sets him apart and makes him one of the most valuable forwards on Tampa bay

Reactions: berlin

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I’d argue he’s an above average to very good passer and good defensive stick work combined with great speed, but yeah it’s his effort that sets him apart and makes him one of the most valuable forwards on Tampa bay
I am not being critical at all because your points are fair, but it is interesting the different perceptions of things. I think Gourde is a very good offensive zone passer, but he is downright scary in the D zone or coming out of it.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I am not being critical at all because your points are fair, but it is interesting the different perceptions of things. I think Gourde is a very good offensive zone passer, but he is downright scary in the D zone or coming out of it.
Scary in a good or bad way? I think he’s very good defensively and his stick work is phenomenal. He’s quick in transition and moves the puck up well through both carrying and dump and chase.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah I was expecting him to look notquiteasgood this season, but... he looks the same. I'd easily trade Miller for him, but I don't know how feasible it is.

The numbers just don't look good this offseason for keeping the band together. And with guys like Volkov and Stephens in the pipeline, it just feels like we're going to have to let a forward walk. Callahan is gone (either through buyout or trade), but that doesn't quite get us there either.
There is just definitely no way we resign gourde Callahan for sure has to move this offseason and probably another contract with Callahan! Probably killorn ? Or maybe even miller ? I get the feeling we will resign stralman to a 2-3 year deal and pretty much let the kid forwards replace gourde and killorn probably .

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Scary in a good or bad way? I think he’s very good defensively and his stick work is phenomenal. He’s quick in transition and moves the puck up well through both carrying and dump and chase.
A bad way. And, again, to be clear, I am speaking only of his defensive zone passes which are more than occasionally ill-advised. To me, it's the only real weakness in his game. In every other respect I agree with you.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I haven’t noticed that with him. I’ll have to look out for it.
I think drew us in to a bit of a semantic argument and I didn't mean to. Sorry about that. What I was trying to say from the beginning is that as an NHL player, Gourde is by definition an exceptional hockey player with tremendous skills, but in the NHL that is the norm, or, the "average". What sets him apart is his desire and fearlessness, which again, most players who make it to the NHL have, but Gourde's is next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
There is just definitely no way we resign gourde Callahan for sure has to move this offseason and probably another contract with Callahan! Probably killorn ? Or maybe even miller ? I get the feeling we will resign stralman to a 2-3 year deal and pretty much let the kid forwards replace gourde and killorn probably .

Miller's NTC kicks in on July 1st. I'd rather have Gourde than him.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Miller's NTC kicks in on July 1st. I'd rather have Gourde than him.
I don't know I want to see if gourde can do it again this year right now i'd keep miller over him. Miller has proved he can get 50 to 60 points a year. Gourde we have only seen one full year so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad