Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Gourde has slowed down a bit but he looks good with Stamkos. Hopefully they develop some more chemistry this line can only get better imo. Gourde hadn't scored in 5 games nice to see him net one today.

Reactions: Rschmitz

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What's wrong with him lately?

1 goal 2 assists in last 13 games. And his shots have gone way down too. Only 15 shots in those 13 games.

In his first 22 games he had 21 points and 46 shots.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What's wrong with him lately?

1 goal 2 assists in last 13 games. And his shots have gone way down too. Only 15 shots in those 13 games.

In his first 22 games he had 21 points and 46 shots.
I don't think he meshes particularly well with Stamkos. Gourde is a grinder who scores goals in the paint. With Stamkos you're looking for one-timers. I just don't think he fits on that line at all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was much better playing with Point and Johnson, maybe swapping Miller and Gourde would work. Miller has the playmaking ability to set up Stamkos and Gourde with Cirelli would just be a pain.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The change of centers has a lot to do with it.

I think he's a much better fit with Cirelli than Stammer

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
It doesn’t seem like he meshes well with Stammer. But when Stammer played briefly with TJ and JT and it was a disaster. His speed and Defensive ability are needed to balance the line, at least while Stammer is on fire. But I’m still not sure why they didn’t just flip Yanni and JT instead of messing with TJ and Palat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's also important to remember that Gourde kind of makes his living as an overachiever. He scores points more on work ethic than skill, but sometimes work ethic just won't be enough, and it could happen for long stretches. What I mean is, he really doesn't have the skillset of a 60 point guy. That doesn't mean he won't achieve that multiple times over his career (I think he will); it's just that sometimes he's gonna remind us that, really, he's an energy guy who just has a crazy knack for putting up points.

And yeah, he doesn't mesh with Stamkos, which doesn't help. I wouldn't mind seeing him back on a 3rd line. He's thrived there before. And our biggest strength right now is how any given line can wake up and dominate on any given night.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
IDK, he led the Q in scoring by 23 points his final year there in 11-12. Difficult to do that w/o some decent talent.

Here's another fun fact, Palat was fourth in scoring and JMass was 6th in scoring the previous year. All three undrafted.

ABB I guess is a lock to be a top 6 forward in this league. Ridiculous

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
IDK, he led the Q in scoring by 23 points his final year there in 11-12. Difficult to do that w/o some decent talent.

Here's another fun fact, Palat was fourth in scoring and JMass was 6th in scoring the previous year. All three undrafted.

Not saying he doesn't have decent talent. I'm saying he has exactly decent talent. But he doesn't put up points based on talent alone, and I think sometimes that well is gonna go dry for a while. He doesn't really have great hands. He more has great speed, a great work ethic, and a nose for the net. All valuable assets, but like, where Kucherov can play horribly for a month and still come out with a ppg because his hands are just that good in short spurts, Gourde's not a guy with that luxury. He'll probably heat up again next month, cool off the month after, and somehow finish with 60 points.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

Palat was a 7th round pick o_O

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I understand what you are saying about his talent and agree, but as an alternative, look at MSL. Subjectively speaking, he had a very similar reputation before he won the Ross, as a grinder for the more talented players. Obviously Gourde is not St.Louis, but in general, work ethic is the far more consistent at producing points, and the talented guys are the ones who are incredibly streaky. Of course, like you said Gourde having this terrible drought and Kucherov sneezing assists completely undermines my point, but in general that is what you typically see.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What the heck is wrong with him. An offensive black hole lately.
Putting him with Stamkos doesn't make sense. Stamkos' line is always going to be one that scores from far out. Gourde needs to be dirty around the net.

I'd like to see him with Cirelli and Erne. I think that line would be a pain to play against.

Reactions: JDBolt

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
OFwCg5H.png

New avatar for @Master P ?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I kind of love it when little guys fight. For one - it's never staged. Two - they're not experienced enough to do that boring shit Crombeen-esque hold on and throw a few weak ones. They just throw haymakers.

Vrana wasn't expecting uppercuts. I think he ate a good one there.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I kind of love it when little guys fight. For one - it's never staged. Two - they're not experienced enough to do that boring **** Crombeen-esque hold on and throw a few weak ones. They just throw haymakers.

Vrana wasn't expecting uppercuts. I think he ate a good one there.
Crombeen used to completely suck the life out of the team every time he fought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad