Player Discussion: Yanni Gourde

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
id rather have Gourde than Miller, considering how good Gourde is defensively and how he can carry his own line when he has to.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think everyone would prefer Gourde over Miller, if only because Gourde's style is a breath of fresh air to a team that often gets caught trying to will their finesse game to work.

Then we have to wonder if we're still going to be involved in the EK sweepstakes, which could mean losing both of them. But, as of right now, with the way our D is performing, we might well take a hard pass on that. Probably depends on what happens in the playoffs. We definitely need Gourde to show up there this time, if we're going to give him a big contract. Keep in mind, he's gonna be UFA, not RFA, so the money would probably be in the Miller ballpark, if he repeats last season. I think it'll be closer to 50 points, because he's gonna spend a little bit of time on the 3rd line, sooner or later.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I would also take Gourde over Miller. Gourde is my favorite forward, but I don't see how it is possible that we offer him anything close to a fair contract

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would also take Gourde over Miller. Gourde is my favorite forward, but I don't see how it is possible that we offer him anything close to a fair contract

We could trade Miller, before the NTC kicks in, and offer Gourde something more/less identical.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We could trade Miller, before the NTC kicks in, and offer Gourde something more/less identical.

Probably the only way, but trading away a player before their contract kicks in hasn't happened yet in the Yzerman era. We'll see

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
What kind of return do you picture for miller? Signed long term and should put up good points this year if he ever gets off the fourth line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What kind of return do you picture for miller? Signed long term and should put up good points this year if he ever gets off the fourth line.

The equivalent of a low first?

If we have to move him, taking back a roster player would likely defeat the purpose, without some creativity. And, with that, you never really know what JB might have up his sleeve. It'll take a couple of years for us to get a feel for him, I think, even if he's similar to Yzerman.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The equivalent of a low first?

If we have to move him, taking back a roster player would likely defeat the purpose, without some creativity. And, with that, you never really know what JB might have up his sleeve. It'll take a couple of years for us to get a feel for him, I think, even if he's similar to Yzerman.

Miller absolutely has value as a skilled winger who can line up with anyone 1st line center, he's signed through his entire prime too. I'd still go with my intiial idea of using him to get Panarin or another strong rental for a playoff run just because we can't take anything back for term. I doubt any team can match a player like Miller and they can mitigate their loss of a skilled winger with another one signed for term.

But if Miller starts to light it up chances are we're keeping him, Tampa has already missed pulling the trigger twice on Killorn/Johnson in the exact same scenario.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah we should definitely NOT let Gourde walk, there's too many things about his game that's an asset. He's an elite PKer, relentless forechecker and has front net presence. Attach whatever we have to to move Callahan, Killorn or even Palat to re-sign him, just make it happen.

Don't care if Callahan only has 1 year left no asset will replace Gourde's skillset right now.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah we should definitely NOT let Gourde walk, there's too many things about his game that's an asset. He's an elite PKer, relentless forechecker and has front net presence. Attach whatever we have to to move Callahan, Killorn or even Palat to re-sign him, just make it happen.

Don't care if Callahan only has 1 year left no asset will replace Gourde's skillset right now.
Agree. Gourde's too good to let walk. Every line he's on just f***ing works.

I can't remember who said it? Something to the effect of - if you add the distance from the net for all of Gourde's goals, you probably don't get to the blueline. The dude will stand in there and take some f***ing punishment to score.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agree. Gourde's too good to let walk. Every line he's on just ****ing works.

I can't remember who said it? Something to the effect of - if you add the distance from the net for all of Gourde's goals, you probably don't get to the blueline. The dude will stand in there and take some ****ing punishment to score.

And he's pretty much our only guy who does that with consistency.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde: "Sorry for that pass, Kuch!"
Kuch: "..." [stoneface]

Ouch, Kuch doesn't even pay attention to him.

Also, Yanni sounds like he's a HFBoards regular when he's commenting the powerplay: "Shoot! Shoot!", "Good, they're shooting!"

I think the lack of mics on players around him often made it seem like Gourde was a puppy yapping at everybody and getting no response.

It's kind of funny that his real life personality matches his play-style exactly though.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think the lack of mics on players around him often made it seem like Gourde was a puppy yapping at everybody and getting no response.

It's kind of funny that his real life personality matches his play-style exactly though.

Reminds me of my students. High energy, high motor, and I love the positivity. You need that kind of infectious tenacity in your forwards. Very glad he isn't a defenseman though :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad