Yanni Gourde vs. Dylan Larkin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
again a role player is better then that guy aka gourde and larkin?

gourdes 18% shooting percentage isnt going to stay that way either, expect larkins numbers to improve with age, and a better team. Same cant be said for gourde who is 26 he isnt going to get better most likely.
As i said I voted larkin since he is much younger and has more potential but to imply it isn’t close now is dishonest. And to be completely honest I don’t think larkin would outperform Gourde if given gourdes same role and pp time. Probably more points but would negatively affect team possession in comparison to Gourde

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Ha, ok. Then you and I have a sizable difference in the definition of a top line player.

Not when his teammates are tasked with playing a very different role than him.
I value all around play from my forwards, and I’m not big on PP scoring which is very volatile year to year.

And based on zone starts (which I will admit are flawed but have some value) Gourde is tasked with more of a “shutdown” role than Larkin.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
As i said I voted larkin since he is much younger and has more potential but to imply it isn’t close now is dishonest. And to be completely honest I don’t think larkin would outperform Gourde if given gourdes same role and pp time. Probably more points but would negatively affect team possession in comparison to Gourde
:facepalm:

Dude...this is insane.

Is Gourde a great role player? Sure. Would Larkin outperform Gourde given Gourde's same role and pp time? We will never know...because Larkin would NEVER be given Gourde's same role and pp time because Larkin is a MUCH better player.

Not much else to say.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
right now sure its close, but going forward the gap is gonna widen... a fair amount imo.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
:facepalm:

Dude...this is insane.

Is Gourde a great role player? Sure. Would Larkin outperform Gourde given Gourde's same role and pp time? We will never know...because Larkin would NEVER be given Gourde's same role and pp time because Larkin is a MUCH better player.

Not much else to say.
On Tampa larkin would play on the third line if he was playing C, as would he on some other teams. Also Gourde is Tampa’s 4th best forward (the 4th best forward on the best offense in like 9 years) he’s not exactly buried in the lineup here, just not given the top offensive time and played more as a neutral deployment possession driver. Tampa wouldn’t be the only team where Larkin would be the 4th best forward or lower.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
On Tampa larkin would play on the third line if he was playing C, as would he on some other teams. Also Gourde is Tampa’s 4th best forward (the 4th best forward on the best offense in like 9 years) he’s not exactly buried in the lineup here, just not given the top offensive time and played more as a neutral deployment possession driver. Tampa wouldn’t be the only team where Larkin would be the 4th best forward or lower.
If Larkin was your 3C, he'd arguably be the best 3C in the entire league. More likely, he'd be your 1LW.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If Larkin was your 3C, he'd arguably be the best 3C in the entire league. More likely, he'd be your 1LW.
Larkin probably would be the second best 3c in the league after Kadri. Gourde is a natural C but is getting played more at W here.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Also, even relative to his team Larkin has a below-average xgf%. His xgf is fine but xga putrid, pointing to a player who isn’t very good defensively. In terms of QOC and QOT the gap between the two in each player is rather similar which roughly approximates to similar difficulty ice time, larkin playing with slightly better players and against slightly better ones. Granted it’s flawed since it’s TOI QOC and QOT and in reality Larkin probably faced decently tougher competition but that doesn’t excuse the massive defensive gap. So to me Larkin is better offensively and Gourde defensively, and overall they are pretty close. Gourde did have better Es production this season but some of that can be attributed to his luck.
Of course his xga was putrid, he's playing with one of the worst defenses assembled in the cap era and a below average goalie.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
If you voted for Gourde you probably deserve a 1 week ban tbh

And that's nothing against him as a player, but come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->