Yankees radio announcer John Sterling to miss first game in 30 years on July 4th

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Report: Yanks voice Sterling set for rare day off

https://nypost.com/2019/07/02/john-...pA8ihkGDJNTEcKwLiUx4SnezC9KPFRioCAk284woDEvCE

After three decades of calling every Yankees game on radio, John Sterling’s consecutive streak will end this week in Tampa, The Post has learned.

Sterling, who turns 81 on Thursday, July 4, will be replaced on his birthday by YES/ESPN’s Ryan Ruocco on the broadcast. Sterling’s streak is at 5,058 consecutive games, including playoffs, entering Tuesday’s Subway Series game, according to the Yankees.

Sterling said he has not been feeling 100 percent, but did not get into specifics.

“For the moment, I’m a little under the weather,” Sterling told The Post. “I’ve put in the time. I want to feel better and they think this is the time for me to do it — and I agree.”

Suzyn Waldman, Sterling’s longtime partner, will work with Ruocco. Sterling will be on the mic for the Subway Series games against the Mets.

The four-game respite will give Sterling an extended break with the All-Star break coming after the Tampa series. The Yankees have a 10-game homestand to begin the second half.

WFAN executives have encouraged Sterling to take some time off to stay strong and preserve his health during the long season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Love or hate the Yankees, Sterling's one of a kind. At least he gets his birthday (today) off, hopefully he gets better soon.

Ironically enough Michael Kay is also going to have an extended absence for a month or so after vocal cord surgery.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Didn’t realize he was in his 80s, I actually don’t mind him but then again I don’t listen to him everyday. He comes off well in the interviews I see with him and don’t think he is a phony either

Sep 19, 2008
He had the same birthday as Steinbrenner?

Sad to hear this. Sterling is a good man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad