Proposal: Yandle to LA to improve their PP and brings some laughs to Hollywood

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by TheImpatientPanther, Sep 11, 2020.

?

Good trade for both teams?

1. LA - Hello no, not the right move for Kings right now

2. LA - Don't hate it but don't love it, it's a maybe

3. LA - It's a good deal, we can make it work

4. FLA - Hello no, Yandle is still needed with Panthers

5. FLA - it helps clear cap space but is the return good enough?

6. FLA - Yes, this works for both teams, we need LW depth

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LeafChief Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You have to trade assets for one. The other can probably be signed relatively cheap considering the year he just had and is a bounce back candidate. Realistically the Kings don't need either of them. My point was that if they really desire a PPQB, they don't need to pay assets for Yandle to get it done.

2. bernmeister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    multiple hats
    1 agree the kings don't NEED either
    Yandle would be a productive fit at the right price, and if FL is looking to manage cap the price could be reasonable and right.

Barrie is not worth the signing, even if he is free.
    At one time he was better skater but rest of it, his game is not so much.

3. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Barrie is a RD though, LA needs more LD.
    They got Doughty, Walker and Roy on the right side.
    Barrie will want term and not sure they want to lock up big money when all their young guys will be due in 3-4 years.
    Yandle's 3rd year sucks a bit but with retention to get him under $5 million, it wouldn't hinder their long term plans.

bernmeister and LeafChief like this.
  4. LeafChief Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's my bad. For some reason I thought Yandle was a RHD.

5. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Ya I just don't see a team paying multiple 1sts to move a retained player who is still productive, even at 34 years old.
    PK Subban was moved for a 2nd + prospect (2nd round pick), although he was 30.
    Also had 3 years left but at $9 mil cap hit, NJ sent out $1.4 mil in Santini.

I think Marleau is a rare case here where other teams didn't want to bite on a 39-40 year old player.
    Dubas got bent over in that deal and should have retained a bit.

6. Dumpster Flyers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Doughty isn't the perfect QB, but he's not what's wrong with the Kings PP. Maybe if they had a single decently creative forward besides Kopitar, Doughty wouldn't feel the need to force plays to make something happen.

7. rajuabju The One & Only

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I would have loved Yandle about three or four years ago, when we still had the delusion of being able to compete.

We are now in a full on youth movement). Makes no sense to trade for Yandle when we’re trading away guys like Martinez and Muzzin etc. and we are at least 2 years away from being a serious team again.

Kings need to stay the course. Continue developing our prospects, let a few more older contracts fall away. If we decide we needs vets, UFA route, not via trades.

Guitpik and go4hockey like this.
  8. bernmeister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    multiple hats
    think at one time briefly he spelled RD somewhere for a bit
    but always was lefty shot

9. Yog S'loth Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    At this stage of his career, Yandle is a cap dump. You pay us to take him.

go4hockey and Rorschach like this.
  10. kilowatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Look, I’m a Kings fan. Yandle outscored Doughty last year. The best thing the Kings can do now, after absolutely sucking shit for two seasons, is put our young players in the best position to succeed. There will be times when our young players make mistakes, and there will definitely be times when veterans can help them learn from those mistakes. Yandle could certainly be one of those guys.

Let’s remove Iafallo from the equation. Let’s assume the Kings don’t land a free agent left-handed defenseman like we want (Edmundson, Krug, whoever). If Yandle waives his no-movement clause so that he can be selected by Seattle, he would be a positive contributor to a winning team in Los Angeles. The best thing for LA moving forward is to start winning. Not by trading away young guys for veterans, but by surrounding the young guys with quality veterans. Doughty played the first two years of his career with Sean O’Donnell. Martinez played with Matt Greene.

If Yandle isn’t the guy, that’s fine. But I think the Kings would benefit from not playing Bjornfot/Anderson/Clague on the left side to start next season. Another year in Ontario for Bjornfot would be great.

Yandle - Doughty
    Anderson - Roy
    Clague - Walker

Rorschach and bernmeister like this.
  11. Drake1588 UNATCO

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This seems like a really tough offseason to dump a rich contract.

My gut says most teams will pass outright on Yandle, and those teams that might entertain it would make sure that it hurts. Cap space is worth a ton this offseason. The overwhelming likelihood is that he remains in Florida unless they can find a team with another $6M+ cap dump with term to swap.

12. rajuabju The One & Only

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This is a very fair and valid point, except that when we brought in Greene via trade, he wasnt old. When we brought in guys like Scuderi/Mitchell they were UFA signings, we didnt give up picks/prospects. OD, I cant remember exactly but it was just a pick when we got him back.

I 100% agree that a 2nd vet, and not just Doughty, is a good idea for our young D core. I just dont want to give up much (or anything) and dont want the signing to be more than 2 years. UFA signing is likely the better route to go for this.

Yandle isnt the guy to accomplish our goals. If he was, we shouldnt have traded Muzz & A-Mart

KingsOfCali25, Guitpik and go4hockey like this.
  13. kilowatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That’s totally fair. Yandle might very well not be that guy. And LA is in a good place with regards to cap space. And Yandle is old, but let’s not pretend like he’s got a Lucic or Eriksson contract.

The difference between trading away Muzzin and Marty and trading for Yandle is that the Kings gained high-value picks and prospects for those two, and would be giving up relatively nothing for Yandle.

Just out of curiosity, what veterans do other Kings fans see that would be a good fit on the roster moving forward?

bernmeister likes this.
  14. Kurrilino Go Stoll Go

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wouldn't touch anything at all. We have an aging elite center, an elite defenseman and an elite goalie.
    We are perfectly fine for slowly infusing young blood into the team and slowly build them up.
    Patience is the key here. If any, we should make most out of our assets and trade away youngsters who didn't cut it.
    I think of people like Iafallo, Lizotte and Kempe. Get some late 1st or 2nd rounders for them.
    Iafallo will be upgraded with Grundstrom who would also benefit from playing with Brown to learn how to powerforward.
    Byfield would be the 3rd center at the beginning of the season to work his way up during the year.

2 more years like that and we are golden

Guitpik likes this.
  15. SFKingshomer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think Boston will let Krug go to the highest bidder and trade for Yandle. His 3 years left fits in to the window for Bergeron, Krejci etc. and he's still a great PP weapon.

16. Kingspiracy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Chara would be interesting if he still has a pulse. Is Niskanen still going strong? Hjarmlisson (sp?) More of a d first guy, than a liability.

17. bernmeister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    multiple hats
    FL has Matheson which is a semi-reasonable too much $ at 4+, but an unreasonable 6 yrs remaining.

Stralman is 2 at 5.5

Yandle is 3 at 6+.

Panthers need to trim cap space, not just Yandle. My guess is any ballpark reasonable deal they will work w/ya 'cause it's not just Yandy man. However, in varying degrees, these guys still produce. They are not a total waste of space. I mean I'd rather have Yandle at 6+ x 3 than say Neal at 5.7 or whatever his # is x2, but now that I think of it, Neal is also 3. But you get my point.

Yandle is worth most of his 6 for next 2 years, reasonable expectation.
    Final yr, depends how fast the wheels fall off. Could be good value esp if covid vaccine and things rebound and cap rises and his 6+ doesn't sting as a % of team cap quite as much.
    On the other hand, if ages quickly, you have a problem.

Can't be sure but my expectation/read on Yandle is he takes pride in his game. I'm sure he wants to maintain his ironman streak, and gather he keeps himself in sufficient shape at min. If he completely falls apart overnight, think he might be stand up about it and quit.

For

18. bernmeister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    multiple hats
    Chara at 40+, I wrote off his skating couple of years ago, when he had in fact skated subpar, but then he did this whole fountain of youth thing.

Other than skating, the man is a bull.
    But a D who can't skate...
    anyhoo, he prob only wants BOS and they prob are good w/him 1 yr at a time

Kingspiracy likes this.
  19. Rorschach Fearful Symmetry

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    My thoughts exactly. I want to add, I don’t think we’re that far away from being a playoff team, having ripped off 8 wins in a row before COVID. Filling the one hole we have maybe does it. It certainly would give confidence to young forwards having a PMD on the team passing to them.

kilowatt likes this.
  20. Kurrilino Go Stoll Go

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'm not too interested in barely making the playoff.
    The 7 game winning streak was only because of our youngsters.
    They have shown that they can make a difference. Give them 1-2 more years without playoff pressure and we are a contender.

21. Rorschach Fearful Symmetry

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I look at it this way...we have so many good prospects coming, we should continue to have success. Plus, next year’s draft is poor. So why not give everyone a taste of the playoffs and see what happens? The Kings have had too many unsuccessful seasons in a row, I’d rather the young players see how the Kings are when they’re winning.

22. Kurrilino Go Stoll Go

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I absolutely see your point.

But wouldn't the youngsters learn how to win in the AHL?
    Also when playing 1 or 2 season together they would come up as a strongly connected unit just pushing the Vets
    out of their comfort zone. Time will tell.

I just want to stay far away from habits, teams like Calgary have, where they sacrifice every last drop of youth or talent to reach the Playoff for a 1st round exit.

23. Rorschach Fearful Symmetry

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000

Good point...it's a tightrope. We don't want to be losers but we don't want to rush the kids. We're the Kings, we're shooting for several years in a row of real contention with this group. My estimate is that we're already in theory in year 4/5 of the rebuild so it's not wrong for us to start looking up, but standing on our youth.

I remember Buffalo trying to come out too soon and look at that mess.

In this situation, if Yandle is a good character, I may be willing to let the other team pay us significant assets to take him, especially if he doesn't mind mentoring, then we use him. I'm definitely not willing to send any decent young players like Iafallo's or Grundstrom's over...that would be counter productive. The question is, for you, me and the rest of the Kings fans, is a guy like Yandle a fit (wants to mentor, wants to play here, can still play, three years won't handcuff us, etc.) and will he help or interfere with the development of our youth.

The three years is scary at that cap hit, in today's Corona market. Maybe retention plus one 1st rounder plus Heponeimi is not enough.

24. Raccoon Jesus Are you not entertained?!?

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I know it's a little OT but someone recently brought up Barrie and our org has been interested in him before. I'm sure he's looking for dollars/term but given the media beating he took this year and this year's uncertainty there's a possibility he could be had cheap. That would be a good stop gap, low risk high reward, and better use of assets than Yandle imho.

Also someone else brought up the 2012 Yotes post-series antics and he was full of loser talk. Last thing we need is an aging loser with a retirement attitude coming to the beach. Seen that movie before. At least someone like Barrie may be hungry.

25. Vinman88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Keep reaching for the Stars.