Proposal: Yandle to LA to improve their PP and brings some laughs to Hollywood

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by TheImpatientPanther, Sep 11, 2020.

?

Good trade for both teams?

1. LA - Hello no, not the right move for Kings right now

2. LA - Don't hate it but don't love it, it's a maybe

3. LA - It's a good deal, we can make it work

4. FLA - Hello no, Yandle is still needed with Panthers

5. FLA - it helps clear cap space but is the return good enough?

6. FLA - Yes, this works for both teams, we need LW depth

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Well you're not trading for him because of his defense, you're trading for him to improve your 5 on 5/PP scoring.

Already offered retention down to under $5 million and last time I checked, 45-55pt D-men make more than that.
    He may not score 55-60pts with LA next year but even when he showed up in FLA 4 years ago when Huberdeau, Barkov, Ekblad were early 20's, he still put up 41 and 56pts in his first two years. 62 last year and 45 in 69GP this year.

That's fair, just don't agree you don't need him, it helps a key flaw in lack of generated offense 5 on 5 and PP.

2. Stimpythecat Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    he will not be the difference between the kings and a contender. Getting him would open up two long term holes to solve a temporary one. That's what you are refusing to understand.

We can find a LHD elsewhere or even re-sign Hutton. Trading for Yandle is a mistake that the kings made for a decade - good prospects for mid 30s players near the end of their career.

If you think Yandle is so good, you won't have any trouble finding someone else that wants him. We don't want him.

Guitpik and go4hockey like this.
  3. go4hockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There is no need to move anything or take in a contract that brings little to the club. There will be a vet or two that would sign for cheap for 2 years and that’s where we should be looking. After 2 years are up I think we will be turning the corner and be a team that pushes for a playoff spot. I would prefer to not have any guys blocking any move we may want to make to improve our club. Another thing most people are not factoring in is I doubt AEG will be spending money that they don’t have to as most everything they own has been effected by Covid and the 2020 shutdown and they would just save the money instead of wasting it on something that’s not needed.

Stimpythecat likes this.
  4. redcard System Poster

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Please point out where I said anything remotely close to that. We're not looking for a PPQB, that is not a weakness. The PP stats reflect the position of the team as a whole. That is what my post says.

Not trading for Yandle does not equate to not wanting to compete
    . We have a plethora of assets, capital, and cap space to make the right moves to position ourselves to compete. Moving assets for a 34 year old with 3 years left at 6.35 is not one of them.

dick341, Stimpythecat and go4hockey like this.
  5. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    What ya got in mind, what should LA do this off-season and next?

6. Kingspiracy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not really interested in trading for yandle unless he comes with a decent sweetener. Does he have a nmc that will use one of our expansion draft slots? Id hate to lose a player we want, because we got fkn yandled.

Im ok with picking up a veteran lhd, even slightly overpriced, but i dont think yandle is it.

7. bernmeister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    multiple hats
    Okay, seems OP as original is no.
    What about either

FL gives away for cap space ... like 7th round pick
    or
    retains for medium value return?

and if the latter, how much do they have to retain and what do they get for that?

8. Stimpythecat Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The kings aren't taking any cap dumps. AEG is really hurting right now. No sports arenas have fans in seats, no concerts, no coachella. Just nothing. The kings cut staff pay and let a fan favorite team insider go. HRR might be 1/3 normal. The cost to dump a player just went up big time - more than what I think Florida is willing to pay.

The need to take on a cap dump just isn't there. The kings have the top prospect pool and that is before adding the 2020 draft picks. Over the next two drafts, the kings have 5 2nd round picks - 6 if Clifford returns to the leafs. 2nd round picks don't move the needle at all. It would have to be a 1st - more than a 1st since yandle has 3 years left at $6.35 AAV and is 34.

bernmeister, KingsofLA and go4hockey like this.
  9. DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

SB Cash:
    $ 15,000
    Yandle would be perfect for the Kings.

They need LHD, have cap space and it's good for their rebuild, but could make them mediocre at best.

10. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    We get it, you're not in favor of the deal.
    I offered retention from two teams to get him under 5mil caphit, he's only owed $9.5 mil in salary with that reduction. You continue to say his full cap hit.

FLA will not add more than a 1st to move him, he isn't Patrick Marleau here, he's still a productive offensive defenseman and not 39-40 years old.

EDIT

Just for some context
    Last 3 years of Yandle (since he's turned 30 *old AF for some around here*)

tied for 5th in PP goals
    3rd in PP points
    3rd in total assists
    5th in total points
    top 20 in even strength points

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  11. Stimpythecat Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    go4hockey likes this.
  12. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    And his salary averages out to $3.163 million per year with the retention.
    LA is currently just under a $62 million cap hit for 2020-21. (no re-signings into account)
    Guess we'll shop him to MON then, didn't know LA was struggling so bad financially.

13. go4hockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Well AEG’s big money maker is all the arenas that they own around the world, and all have been shut down for months now and nobody is sure when they will be open with full capacity of seats available. So yea the money will be tight for a bit and I would be surprised to see LA taking on any money that is not needed.

14. kilowatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I’m only interested in Yandle if the Kings wouldn’t have to protect him. I think Grundstrom for Heponiemi is a pretty equal swap, and Heponiemi doesn’t require expansion draft protection (while Grundstrom does).

If Yandle could be acquired for something like Trevor Moore and a fourth round pick, as I had mentioned previously, I think he would be a good stop gap until we have someone capable of playing with Doughty. Yandle’s caphit doesn’t match his salary, and the Kings have no need for more cap room. Yandle could also be traded in a year or two by LA if there isn’t room for him anymore.

15. DATSOMATIC13 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    SPY/Secret Agent & animal rescue
    What if Yandle fails "to bring Laughs to Hollywood" ? That's a lot of risk. They'll need laugh-O-meters everywhere, so it becomes a logistical nightmare. Plus, accounting for all the off the cuff, candid humor that's out of L-O-M range...does that change the type/volume/frequency of humor Yandle brings? Will he sandbag if his LOM % vs Quota is low? +any other variables not listed above.

Lots to think about. Inquiring minds wanna know...

P.S. Isn't Hollywood (not LA Kings) already a cesspool of laughable clowns already?

steepdrop likes this.
  16. Rorschach Fearful Symmetry

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I agree plus Yandle has been around the block as a LHD, performing for many years at a very high level. If Clague had a year or two for mentoring under Yandle and became Yandle 2.0, instead of just Clague AHL 1.0, that would be nice. Yandle helping Bjornfot adding 5-10 points a year at the NHL level would be huge as well.

Yandle definitely could be useful. Kings also have room to take him on, especially with retention. We have plenty of space for him on the NHL roster, top 4 or bottom pair, or even buried in the AHL his final year on the left hand side. I think the only question here is the value in the deal. To take this salary for three years when for sure his 2nd and 3rd year will be significant cap dumps, the other side will not only have to have retention, they will need to pay significantly for the cap hit.

Throwing in a player like Heponeimi is a good start. We can send a minor prospect/young player that we don't have future plans for (maybe Lizotte or Amadio?) over but we need to be paid at least a 1st rounder to take 3 years.

bernmeister and Stimpythecat like this.
  17. Rorschach Fearful Symmetry

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The price of taking on a three year cap hit of that size is more than a 1st rounder...for each year of the contract. The price per year can be lowered significantly with at least 20% retention. Yandle's value as a player can also reduce the cost somewhat, for at least his first year of play but by the 3rd year, he's worthless as a player.

So in my guestimation the deal would be something like:
    Yandle at 20% retention plus Heponeimi plus a 1st rounder in 2021
    for
    Kings next year 5th rounder.

Yes it's very steep and I haven't even factored in the real $$ cost of taking on his salary in the reduced Covid revenue era.
    That third year is murder. If it was a two year deal, we could remove the 1st completely. If it was a 1 year deal, with Hepo, we'd have to pay you a more significantly positive asset like this year's 3rd.

bernmeister and Stimpythecat like this.
  18. kilowatt Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I just don’t see Yandle as a pure cap dump. The Kings would be getting a pretty good veteran puck moving defenseman for essentially free. Is Edmundson better than Yandle? If Florida pays Yandle’s bonus, the Kings would be looking at $4.4 million per year in real dollars but a $6.3 million cap hit. That’s not bad value.

I think Yandle would take a lot of pressure off of both Doughty and the rookies.

TheImpatientPanther likes this.
  19. TheImpatientPanther Take us to the top Q!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000

Yandle's caphit: 3 x $6.35 million

Yandle's money owed:

2020-21: his $3 mil SB been paid for this year, leaving $2.75 mil in salary this year.
    2021-22: no SB, $5.25 mil in salary
    2022-23: $3 mil SB, $2.2 mil in salary = $13.2 mil in total salary

but hopefully FLA would retain 750k, then pay a middle team (OTT/DET/NJ/SEA) for retention of 750k x 3 years (2021 3rd/4th + 2022 3rd/4th)

New caphit would be $4.85 million x 3 years.
    2020-21: $2.75 mil - $1.5 mil = $1.25 mil in salary
    2021-22: $5 mil - $1.5 mil = $3.5 mil in salary
    2022-23: $3 mil SB + $2.2 mil - $1.5 mil = $3.7 mil in salary =

$8.45 mil total salary for 3 years. He definitely has value for 2 of those 3 years, the last year is a kick in the nuts.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    bernmeister likes this.
  20. Jean Luc Discard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Are sure that's enough? I think that the Panthers might have to add two extra first round picks à la Marleau. So maybe Yandle at 20% retention + Heponeimi + 2021 1st + 2022 1st + 2023 1st? I know that Yandle was the 13th best point getter among defensemen but that can be easily overstated.

21. Tony Tony Chopper Not a tanuki

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Docgonzo likes this.
  22. bernmeister Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    multiple hats
    Sounds like @TheImpatientPanther and @Rorschach may be able to hash something out.

Step aside guys, give 'em a wide berth!
    In case anyone needs elbow room....

23. Guitpik Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Take Byfield #2.

go4hockey and Kingspiracy like this.
  24. Rorschach Fearful Symmetry

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I agree and I say so in my post when estimating the overall cost. Otherwise the price is at least three firsts.

25. Mogo #GameOver

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Panthers best bet is to get on the phone with Bill Guerin. He'll take any junk

bernmeister likes this.