Proposal: Yandle to LA to improve their PP and brings some laughs to Hollywood

Good trade for both teams?

• LA - Hello no, not the right move for Kings right now

• LA - Don't hate it but don't love it, it's a maybe

• LA - It's a good deal, we can make it work

• FLA - Hello no, Yandle is still needed with Panthers

• FLA - it helps clear cap space but is the return good enough?

• FLA - Yes, this works for both teams, we need LW depth

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's been brought to my attention some LA fans may be interested in a PPQB to improve their PP?
This is not my personal offer but one of FLA's posters and feel it makes some sense for both teams.
Adds/+'s to either side or retention on Yandle if need be

:panthers

Iafallo
Grundstrom

:kings

Yandle
Heponiemi

Iafallo - 1 year left @ $2.425 million
- he may not be in their long term plans and may block some younger kids from playing time.
- he'll be 27 in December and likely looking for a decent raise
- fits in more with FLA's timeline a bit.
- May help replace some offense if both Dadonov and Hoffman walk

Grundstrom - 2 years left @ 725k (don't know much about him)
- 23 years old in December
- strengthens FLA's LW depth in one trade.
FLA needs some size and players who can challenge for bottom 6 time next year.

Yandle - 3 years left @ $6.35 million
- 3rd in PP points (78) in the last 3 years, just turned 34 two days ago
- needs to keep his ironman streak alive (hasn't missed a game in over a decade) but has been reduced to 3rd line minutes under Q
- still a capable puck moving LD, would take some responsibility off Doughty's shoulders.
- FLA would be willing to retain a bit to make it work

Heponiemi - 2 years left on ELC at 925k
- still possesses very good offensive instincts, needs to adapt to quicker/physical AHL/NHL
- very elusive and projects as a middle 6 playmaker.
- stalled a bit in his first year in AHL but could get going again if re-united with Kupari (Liiga team mate)
- LA adds more skill to their LW depth chart

Thoughts? :dunno:

Reactions: FormerPantherFan

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
For me, given LA's current team status, a player like Yandle would have nearly no value while both Iafallo and Grundstrom have good value. I'd do a deal like Yandle as a cap dump plus a 3rd rounder for LA Kings 4th rounder. You're not getting any precious young players from us for an old man or rental like Yandle. The kind of deal you're proposing, it won't be the LA Kings who pay that. You'll need a contender at the trade deadline whose defense has a big PMD hole, probably from an injury, where they need to patch that hole for the playoff run.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
For me, given LA's current team status, a player like Yandle would have nearly no value while both Iafallo and Grundstrom have good value. I'd do a deal like Yandle as a cap dump plus a 3rd rounder for LA Kings 4th rounder. You're not getting any precious young players from us for an old man or rental like Yandle. The kind of deal you're proposing, it won't be the LA Kings who pay that. You'll need a contender at the trade deadline whose defense has a big PMD hole, probably from an injury, where they need to patch that hole for the playoff run.

If we throw in both FLA's 2020 3rds (we own COL's too), could we up the 4th coming back to the CBJ 2020 3rd you own?

Yandle (500-600k retention)
2020 3rd (FLA and COL)

For

2020 3rd (CBJ)

Don't know if a contender would take on 3 years and be able to fit his cap even with a bit of retention.
Maybe next offseason when he has 2 years left and were past expansion draft/protecting players.
Thanks for the feedback.

Would be willing to pay retention to a middle team as well as FLA retaining to bring Yandle down under $5mil.
Does that make it more palatable?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
A 34 year old with 3 years left makes that deal a no from the Kings standpoint. We moved our early 30 something D men for picks, we wouldn't go older. With Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague and Hults in the mix as up and comers, the Kings will look for a shorter term vet (one or two years left on the deal). Hard to say what Iafallo will be asking, he a 2nd or 3rd line LW playing on the 1st line and improving every season. At his age I doubt the Kings will just let him go, I think he can be signed at a reasonable number with a raise. The Kings don't have very many players in that age group. Grundstrom also brings a physical edge the Kings lack, and trading 2 LW's in an organization that lacks depth on the left side forward group right now would be foolish.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If we throw in both FLA's 2020 3rds (we own COL's too), could we up the 4th coming back to the CBJ 2020 3rd you own?

Yandle (500-600k retention)
2020 3rd (FLA and COL)

For

2020 3rd (CBJ)

Don't know if a contender would take on 3 years and be able to fit his cap even with a bit of retention.
Maybe next offseason when he has 2 years left and were past expansion draft/protecting players.
Thanks for the feedback.

Would be willing to pay retention to a middle team as well as FLA retaining to bring Yandle down under $5mil.
Does that make it more palatable?

I don't know how others feel but quite possibly...just a quick dumb question, is Yandle RHD or LHD? Obviously Yandle is a NHL asset and on the NHL roster, the Kings have three NHL-level RHD that are properly slotted. On the other hand, our LHD is quite light. We can get a decent stay-at-home-ish LHD for the top pair, maybe Ben Hutton or a UFA vet defensemen for Doughty's partner. Our second and third RHD are Sean Walker and Matt Roy, both solid but very young defensemen. Either could use a LHD veteran like Yandle as a mentor/partner.

Also, flexing the noodle, I can imagine that if Kale Clague plays some NHL minutes this year, an offensive LHD prospect that is just about NHL-ready, who is a bit flawed. Such a prospect could benefit greatly from a mentor like Yandle who has tons of experience.

As for cap room, we can handle a short term cap dump if the dump strategically makes sense, like it's a player who is overpaid but can serve a role we can use and the contract is 2 years or less, so it expires as we need to re-sign young players to raises. 2nd or 3rd pair PMD LHD could work, at 2 years or less salary.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Hard pass from this Kings fan.

He's 34. signed for 3 more years at $6.35 million AAV. He's not the difference between this kings team and a contender. The pandemic tanking HRR just reinforces that the Kings pass.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A 34 year old with 3 years left makes that deal a no from the Kings standpoint. We moved our early 30 something D men for picks, we wouldn't go older. With Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague and Hults in the mix as up and comers, the Kings will look for a shorter term vet (one or two years left on the deal). Hard to say what Iafallo will be asking, he a 2nd or 3rd line LW playing on the 1st line and improving every season. At his age I doubt the Kings will just let him go, I think he can be signed at a reasonable number with a raise. The Kings don't have very many players in that age group. Grundstrom also brings a physical edge the Kings lack, and trading 2 LW's in an organization that lacks depth on the left side forward group right now would be foolish.

Not to be blunt but your LD is barren and don't have one vet signed for next year. I get he's 34 but he hasn't missed a game in a decade. He wouldn't be playing 22+ mins anyhow, somehow blocking any of the prospects.

Doubt LA will roll out all rookies on the left side, one of them can be mentored to be a PPQB under Yandle.
If its term/money issue, we can retain to help out. Don't see how 3 years affect your re-tool in any way. You're not contending anytime soon imo.

I don't know how others feel but quite possibly...just a quick dumb question, is Yandle RHD or LHD? Obviously Yandle is a NHL asset and on the NHL roster, the Kings have three NHL-level RHD that are properly slotted. On the other hand, our LHD is quite light. We can get a decent stay-at-home-ish LHD for the top pair, maybe Ben Hutton or a UFA vet defensemen for Doughty's partner. Our second and third RHD are Sean Walker and Matt Roy, both solid but very young defensemen. Either could use a LHD veteran like Yandle as a mentor/partner.

Yandle is a leftie. I agree, he is still useful on PP and can mentor a young LD that can learn from him.
Not gonna lie, Yandles defense is bad but its not like you will be competing for the Cup next two years.

You're surrounding your young kids with vets to grow and develop so they don't get their teeth kicked in and lose their confidence.
Think you're competing in 3 years and Yandle will be gone by then anyhow.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Hard pass from this Kings fan.

He's 34. signed for 3 more years at $6.35 million AAV. He's not the difference between this kings team and a contender. The pandemic tanking HRR just reinforces that the Kings pass.

3 years? Good to know...that's a bit too long for the Kings. Even if we get the player for no assets (or even we get paid to take the player), sooner or later we need our current cap space to re-sign guys like Vilardi and Walker.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Not to be blunt but your LD is barren and don't have one vet signed for next year. I get he's 34 but he hasn't missed a game in a decade. He wouldn't be playing 22+ mins anyhow, somehow blocking any of the prospects.

Doubt LA will roll out all rookies on the left side, one of them can be mentored to be a PPQB under Yandle.
If its term/money issue, we can retain to help out. Don't see how 3 years affect your re-tool in any way. You're not contending anytime soon imo.

Yandle is a leftie. I agree, he is still useful on PP and can mentor a young LD that can learn from him.
Not gonna lie, Yandles defense is bad but its not like you will be competing for the Cup next two years.

You're surrounding your young kids with vets to grow and develop so they don't get their teeth kicked in and lose their confidence.
Think you're competing in 3 years and Yandle will be gone by then anyhow.

All true. As you can see, I'm open to the idea...I'm well aware of our gaps on LHD. Perhaps we can bury him the last year if we have to, or even better, convince him to retire for some cap relief and instead give him a job with the organization. LA makes great use of former players who played good roles during their time in the NHL, and then have those players be valuable, impromptu coaches and voices for young players.

Since he's three years though, we would need a much higher payment to take that contract as is or a much better retention...or both. We still plan to sign a vet stay-at-home LHD, like Edmunson, so we would need to be able to fit both of those salaries. And Yandle would play 3rd pair minutes, the vet would play top four minutes and probably two prospects, Clague and Bjornfot, would split the rest.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No, no, no... do not let the truth go out, man!

But his offense is elite so he's still a NHL Efenseman.

All true. As you can see, I'm open to the idea...I'm well aware of our gaps on LHD. Perhaps we can bury him the last year if we have to, or even better, convince him to retire for some cap relief and instead give him a job with the organization. LA makes great use of former players who played good roles during their time in the NHL, and then have those players be valuable, impromptu coaches and voices for young players.

Since he's three years though, we would need a much higher payment to take that contract as is or a much better retention...or both. We still plan to sign a vet stay-at-home LHD, like Edmunson, so we would need to be able to fit both of those salaries. And Yandle would play 3rd pair minutes, the vet would play top four minutes and probably two prospects, Clague and Bjornfot, would split the rest.

FLA - 2020 3rd (CBJ), Grundstrom

OTT/DET/NJ - FLA 2021 3rd, 2022 3rd for 750k retention

LA - Yandle retained by FLA as well (750k), New caphit of $4.85 million

2020 3rd (FLA and COL)

Heponeimi

Yandle is still owed $13 million in salary, his $3 mil signing bonus for this year was already paid so after retention, you're only owing him just under 10 mil over 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinman88

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
still hard no.

He's older than the LHD the kings traded away. By your own admisssions, he's not a good defender. The kings are a good 2 years away from thinking playoffs. By that time he's 36 going on 37. And all for a cap hit of almost $5 million in the middle of a pandemic when HRR may be as little as 1/3 normal.

The kings aren't trading away what little LW depth we have for a player we don't need.

No trade to be made here.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would do Grundstrom for Heponiemi straight across if you want. Kempe - Kupari - Heponiemi. I don't think LA is interested in Yandle for anything more than a later round pick, and only if he was willing to waive his movement protection so Seattle could draft him. Maybe something like Carl Grundstrom + Trevor Moore + 4th 2020 for Aleksi Heponiemi + Keith Yandle. Yandle would actually be a pretty great option to eat minutes next season next to Doughty, but not at the price of Iafallo. Iafallo has to be one of the most underrated players in the league right now, he was one pace for 20 goals and 50 points and signed to a $2.4 million contract. He's reminds me a bit of Justin Williams during his time in LA.

Yandle might be worth more than that, but not to LA.

Reactions: Rorschach

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
still hard no.

He's older than the LHD the kings traded away. By your own admisssions, he's not a good defender. The kings are a good 2 years away from thinking playoffs. By that time he's 36 going on 37. And all for a cap hit of almost $5 million in the middle of a pandemic when HRR may be as little as 1/3 normal.

The kings aren't trading away what little LW depth we have for a player we don't need.

No trade to be made here.

2019-20: 26th ranked PP
2018-19: 27th ranked PP
2017-18: 18th ranked PP
2016-17: 15th ranked PP

Doughty is a capable PPQB but he also averages like 5 to 5.5 mins in combined PP/PK minutes the last 4 years.

Shift him to more PK role and allows Yandle to help the PP.
To say you don't need a player that would help LA score more on the man advantage isn't computing.

Fair enough, will look elsewhere.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I would do Grundstrom for Heponiemi straight across if you want. Kempe - Kupari - Heponiemi. I don't think LA is interested in Yandle for anything more than a later round pick, and only if he was willing to waive his movement protection so Seattle could draft him. Maybe something like Carl Grundstrom + Trevor Moore + 4th 2020 for Aleksi Heponiemi + Keith Yandle. Yandle would actually be a pretty great option to eat minutes next season next to Doughty, but not at the price of Iafallo. Iafallo has to be one of the most underrated players in the league right now, he was one pace for 20 goals and 50 points and signed to a $2.4 million contract. He's reminds me a bit of Justin Williams during his time in LA.

Yandle might be worth more than that, but not to LA.

That could still be workable.
Would still be open to that minor deal of Hepo for GStrom as well.

At least some LA fans are open minded and willing to negotiate. Find some are just on here to say NO and don't even get into the ups and downs of trying to make a trade.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
that's being disingenuos. this was not a good deal for the kings.

So what if the PP is not good. the kings aren't contending even with a middle of the pack PP.

Getting Yandle opens up several long term holes to solve a weakness that doesn't matter since the kings aren't contending. We can find a LHD on the UFA market for less money and that won't cost assets we need.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He is 34 with 3 years left. This alone makes it a big NO from LA side.

Does it though? Which players would the Kings need to re-sign in Yandle's final year? Vilardi and Mikey Anderson? That's assuming that Yandle wouldn't be selected by Seattle or that the Kings couldn't trade him. As it stands, Carter and Brown only have two years left on their contracts. In 2021-22, the Kings will have $34 million in cap space. Yandle is unique in that he can play even strength minutes with Doughty next season, and move down the roster the following seasons if need be. It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to let Bjornfot have another year or two in the AHL like Voynov did.

Reactions: Rorschach

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
2019-20: 26th ranked PP
2018-19: 27th ranked PP
2017-18: 18th ranked PP
2016-17: 15th ranked PP

Doughty is a capable PPQB but he also averages like 5 to 5.5 mins in combined PP/PK minutes the last 4 years.

Shift him to more PK role and allows Yandle to help the PP.
To say you don't need a player that would help LA score more on the man advantage isn't computing.

Fair enough, will look elsewhere.

2019-20: 28th in the standings
2018-19: 30th in the standings
2017-18: 12th in the standings
2016-17: 22nd in the standings

The PP's been bad because the team's been bad, we're not looking for a PPQB.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
that's being disingenuos. this was not a good deal for the kings.

So what if the PP is not good. the kings aren't contending even with a middle of the pack PP.

Getting Yandle opens up several long term holes to solve a weakness that doesn't matter since the kings aren't contending. We can find a LHD on the UFA market for less money and that won't cost assets we need.

Well how long do elite competitors like Doughty and Kopitar want to wait to compete?
They fine with burning another 2 years to be a bottom 5 team?
You have one of the best prospect farms built up, getting a solid piece this year and have multiple 2nds to possibly move one + prospect for a NHL player.

MON and VAN had decent showings in the playoffs with teams that were technically still building.
Not saying you'll be contenders but fighting for a playoff spot would be great experience foe the younger players and you need vets to help them along.

Carter and Brown which frees up $11 million in two years and then Quick and Yandle would free up over $10 mil the following year, right around the time you need to pay those expiring ELC core players

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
trading for a 34 year old yandle that by your own admission is not good on defense is not the way to do it. End of story.

The kings can find other LHD that are UFAs. Ones that actually play defense and are younger. Ones that don't have a cap hit of $6.35 million in the middle of a pandemic.

We simply aren't good trading partners.

Reactions: go4hockey

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
2019-20: 28th in the standings
2018-19: 30th in the standings
2017-18: 12th in the standings
2016-17: 22nd in the standings

The PP's been bad because the team's been bad, we're not looking for a PPQB.

So you'd rather burn 2-3 of the 4 years remaining on Kopitar's deal/twilight prime years to collect more assets?
If so, why not retain him and trade him then?
I think the leaders on the team want to be a playoff team sooner than later.
I get LA's identity is to be a team/low scoring game and really good defensively but that identity is gone now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad