Confirmed with Link: Yandle, Summers, 4th-2016 traded to NYR for JMoore, Duclair, 1st-2016, 2nd-2015

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I would like this trade better if the assets we got were going to be coached by a completely different coaching staff than our current group.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I would like this trade better if the assets we got were going to be coached by a completely different coaching staff than our current group.
Tony Duclair already knows how to skate and shoot; learning more about what to do without the puck won't hurt that.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Being told to do less of what his instincts tell him to do and more of what his defensive minded, incredibly system oriented coach tells him to do can hurt him. Offensive players like him and Domi need to be able to play their game. Yes, they need to learn both ends, but they can't be restrained from being creative and taking risks without lessening their offensive impact.

There's a fine line there and I don't trust out coaching staff to be able to find the difference. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tony Duclair already knows how to skate and shoot; learning more about what to do without the puck won't hurt that.

Yup.

Being told to do less of what his instincts tell him to do and more of what his defensive minded, incredibly system oriented coach tells him to do can hurt him. Offensive players like him and Domi need to be able to play their game. Yes, they need to learn both ends, but they can't be restrained from being creative and taking risks without lessening their offensive impact.

There's a fine line there and I don't trust out coaching staff to be able to find the difference. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

I disagree. Let's see in a year who is right. DT has forgotten more about hockey than you and I know and I trust him more than most coaches in the league.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The NHL is a game of mistakes. Domi/Duclair need to be smart about the risks they take while not being reckless. Up until now, they both might not have been held accountable for their 2 way play like they need to be in the NHL.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
As talented Yandle is, he's one dimensional. Great offensive D man with great speed and vision but poor as a defender.

Love Yandle, but I take the younger, cost controlled forward, with enormous amount of upside and a first, everyday.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Given he's set to walk as a UFA, he can't be relied upon to be part of a long-term solution.

I agree that the spleen was weighing him down.

If Maloney couldn't get him signed to anything more than a one-year, why didn't he trade him this off-season? There was certainly some big moves made and if Boedker's not part of the rebuild, he's our top trade chip.

There's plenty of short term UFA options left that could have patched the hole if all we could get for Boedker was futures. What's the point in holding on to him until the deadline?

Last off-season, I was arguing they should dump Korpedo and Z before the season started to go full tank mode from day 1. I admit, you were right, they got a lot for Z and Vermette by waiting until the last minute. I just wonder if that would have been the difference between Eichel and Strome, and if waiting to maximize those returns is worth the difference.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Just wondering what you guys think of this trade now. Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

Jets fan wondering what to expect if we trade Buff. I'd argue that Buff is slightly better than Yandle, but only having a year left hurts his value. We can also retain salary like you guys did, but only for this year.

Looking back on this thread, some even wanted Maloney fired. I thought the return was good. Seems even better now that Duclair is playing well and to do it so soon. Although he is riding an unsustainable shooting %. I view this trade as a win for you guys.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Just wondering what you guys think of this trade now. Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

Jets fan wondering what to expect if we trade Buff. I'd argue that Buff is slightly better than Yandle, but only having a year left hurts his value. We can also retain salary like you guys did, but only for this year.

Looking back on this thread, some even wanted Maloney fired. I thought the return was good. Seems even better now that Duclair is playing well and to do it so soon. Although he is riding an unsustainable shooting %. I view this trade as a win for you guys.

The trade was good, and needed. It was just tough to lose Yandle, who was part of the heart of the time and someone many fans viewed as he or apparent to the captaincy. Duclair is a stud though, and we still have their first to play with this year.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Still don't love the trade. I really like Duclair, but for our most valuable trade chip in a very long time I feel like we could have done better, especially since he had 2 playoff runs left on contract.

For Keith Yandle, we essentially got just Duclair, a late first which has no guarantees, and a better shot at McEichel last year which was squandered. Maybe if they'd made that last part count, but they didn't, so I just wanted more I guess.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Still don't love the trade. I really like Duclair, but for our most valuable trade chip in a very long time I feel like we could have done better, especially since he had 2 playoff runs left on contract.

For Keith Yandle, we essentially got just Duclair, a late first which has no guarantees, and a better shot at McEichel last year which was squandered. Maybe if they'd made that last part count, but they didn't, so I just wanted more I guess.

We didn't get Eichel but we did get Strome. That is so incredibly important for this team's future. There's no one else in the draft after Strome that projects as a 1C.

I think the trade was great. What more did you want?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We didn't get Eichel but we did get Strome. That is so incredibly important for this team's future. There's no one else in the draft after Strome that projects as a 1C.

I think the trade was great. What more did you want?

When we made the trade, I thought we would or should get a better return. Yandle being a proven star that never gets hurt for a late 1st, Moore/border line NHL player, and Duclair, flashy but no guarantees. The way Duclair has progressed, makes the trade fine by me now. I also think we have a decent shot at signing Yandle in the summer when we really need him for next year.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I wonder if Buff is a target for us. With the loss of Doan, Gordon, Grossman, and possibly Boedker's contracts and incoming ELCs of Strome, Dvorak, Perlini/Samuelsson/Lessio, there will be a lot of money and not a lot of roster spots for the Coyotes to fill this offseason. The only real need is a replacement for Grossman or a partner for OEL.

Our PP has suffered without Yandle. But Grossman has made the D corps tougher to play against, particularly around the crease. Moving Yandle with retention was a dramatic move & marked a full fledged rebuild project. Duclair still has some development to go. And the draft picks are ???s, especially with this club.

I've seen some of our posters even say that they'd like to see Yandle re-signed this offseason, since the UFA field is so shallow.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Still love this trade. To think we could have got more out of Yandle is redundant. Maloney is a master at his craft when it comes to getting value, I think this was the best we could have got at the time. Duclair will be an absolute force for years up front, something we've lacked heavily since th roenick/tkachuck days.

Yandle was/is an exceptional talent but we needed more up front and more defense from our defenseman. If we sign Yandle this will be a moot point.
I still take this trade today due in part because I think Duclair will be our best winger years down the road.

As for Buf, the short contract will play a big factor, a lot like Orielly. Depending on the needs of Winnipeg I'd imagine he gets a similar return like Yandle. A "a" prospect and first and a middling roster player depending on what buffs contract looks like.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
DAL got Joe Nieuwendyk and won the Cup, CGY got Jarome Iginla and had a great decade + a finals run.

CGY got Rob Ramage and won the Cup, STL got one of the best scorers of all time in Brett Hull.

NYR got Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan and won the Cup, CHI got Tony Amonte and had a great decade.

What's this obsession with "winning" and "losing" ... two different teams who have different needs. And if NYR make another serious playoff run this year, they may still get what they want.

Mr Pukhead

Where's my ambulance
Jan 18, 2011
What would it take to lure Yandle back to the desert? From afar it seems he's doing ok in NY, but not exactly the final piece they needed to push over the hump. Would he even want to deal with our sideshow ownership issues again not that he's free?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What would it take to lure Yandle back to the desert? From afar it seems he's doing ok in NY, but not exactly the final piece they needed to push over the hump. Would he even want to deal with our sideshow ownership issues again not that he's free?

Does he want to be here with the ownership, where are we going to play in 2 years issues? Did he like living here, or does that not matter? If he wants absolute top dollar, he won't get the highest bid/most years from DM? Does he want to win, if so, and everyone says they want to win, where is the best situation for him to win?

I am not sure of the answers to any of these questions but I think we might have a 50/50 shot at him if NY doesn't sign him and he becomes a UFA. Can you imagine Yandle playing with Domi/Ducliar and all the forwards in the pipe, it would be exciting for sure.

Mr Pukhead

Where's my ambulance
Jan 18, 2011
Does he want to be here with the ownership, where are we going to play in 2 years issues? Did he like living here, or does that not matter? If he wants absolute top dollar, he won't get the highest bid/most years from DM? Does he want to win, if so, and everyone says they want to win, where is the best situation for him to win?

I am not sure of the answers to any of these questions but I think we might have a 50/50 shot at him if NY doesn't sign him and he becomes a UFA. Can you imagine Yandle playing with Domi/Ducliar and all the forwards in the pipe, it would be exciting for sure.

Dat Power Play! :amazed:

I can live with 50/50 odds.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I feel like the return bought us some excellent future value that we don't know what would have happened with Yandle. At the time, we could only guarantee 1.25 more years of Yandle. Picking up a player like Duclair gives us another shot at 4-5 years with a player who has done a pretty good job of acclimating himself to the league.

The other piece that is important is that it is not just the Yandle deal, but all deals that have given us considerable depth in prospects and picks. Let's say that we want to move up in the 2016 draft. We have an extra 1st. We have other additional picks and prospects gained that can be used as chips to move us up. I honestly think that was the larger benefit of the Yandle trade. Otherwise, we are just a team with some decent players who is forced to stand pat at the draft or deadline or has to sell off good players. Now, we have a lot of good players coming down the line, and we have so many options available.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yandle is has gotten a lot of flak in New York.

Think you won this trade easily.

Yandle has been very good for us. The media are idiots who think Girardi and Staal are better because "they're good in their own zone", when Yandle is actually better at preventing goals than either of supposedly "shut down defenseman".

It's a good trade for both teams, as long as the Rangers can re-sign Yandle. Rangers fans were high on Duclair for a reason, kid is extremely talented and will be a ~30 goal forward for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad