Confirmed with Link: Yandle, Summers, 4th-2016 traded to NYR for JMoore, Duclair, 1st-2016, 2nd-2015

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Yeah the Bobby Ryan trade is one of the reasons why I can tolerate the Ducks. Their management is so good. It's like the Red Wings, you just have to respect it. Even though it was a good hull at the time, it was still questionable. Now Silfverberg is becoming Bobby Ryan 2.0 and Ritchie has the potential to become Cory Perry-lite. The franchise just gave itself another 5+ successful seasons by trading a player that was a luxury at his highest value.

Unless Duclair becomes a 60+ dynamic forward, and that 1st becomes a a B level prospect the Yandle trade wont come close. I still think Yandle is more valuable then Ryan as well.

Very true; the Ducks have a great management, that we could only hope to have one day.

Although I wouldn't just crown Silfverberg the next Ryan yet. For all of his faults, Ryan is still a consistent 30 goal scorer when he has high-level linemates; Silfverberg hasn't even hit 20 yet, and is looking like a middle 6 forward right now.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Very true; the Ducks have a great management, that we could only hope to have one day.

Although I wouldn't just crown Silfverberg the next Ryan yet. For all of his faults, Ryan is still a consistent 30 goal scorer when he has high-level linemates; Silfverberg hasn't even hit 20 yet, and is looking like a middle 6 forward right now.

Yeah may have been under the influence last night. But his 13 points in 11 playoff games is looking good. This could be what he needs to gain confidence ala Boedker in the Chi series. Time will tell, but it was still a hell of a trade.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So far it's Duclair, Hill, Looke and a 16 1st for Yandle and a 16 4th (Summers and Moore cancel each other out). This is not looking so hot right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So far it's Duclair, Hill, Looke and a 16 1st for Yandle and a 16 4th (Summers and Moore cancel each other out). This is not looking so hot right now.

Let's wait five years and see what happens. This could end up being a steal for the Coyotes, or it could blow up in our face. Duclair, I think, has a much talent as Domi.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, we need to wait at least 4 years, but when we traded Yandle he was a 60pt dman and there aren't many of those, so unless Duclair and the 1st are 56-60pt guys it's going to turn out to be a bad trade.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

curious why this has come up. 6 years+ of Duclair > 1 year of yandle in a rebuild year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I never liked the trade. Not a big fan of Duclair. Didn't understand why we acquired Moore (Thought we should have received a better prospect than him). Really didn't like the conditional clause on the 1st rounder.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I never liked the trade. Not a big fan of Duclair. Didn't understand why we acquired Moore (Thought we should have received a better prospect than him). Really didn't like the conditional clause on the 1st rounder.

I'm a big believer in Duclair. Exciting player. I think he will change your mind. 1st rounder is gravy. Currency for use at a later date.

This is a rebuild, not a retool. Given yandles contract, this was IMO a very good move. His ability to leave at the end of this season made a deal necessary; especially given the off ice distractions that reared their ugly head yet again this summer.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Maybe. He might've re-signed. We won't know.

I only bumped it because it occurs to me that we can start putting names on the mixed back of futures. :)
Looke was a top 10 European skater, Hill is a goalie so who knows, a 1st is a 1st and Duclair is a monster. Giving up on Moore so quickly takes a bit of shine off this, but "not so hot right now?" Let Duclair do some work before we start sulking about this.

If Vermette and Michalek taught us anything last month, it's that we shouldn't write off our chances just yet. Doan + Grossman = $8m and an open spot at 2LD open summer 2016. I hope Dahlbeck and Gormley make Yandle redundant this season, but never say never ...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I only bumped it because it occurs to me that we can start putting names on the mixed back of futures. :)

Why would he stay and at what $? We can still sign him. We seem to be able to bring back people who've played here.

Hill well thought of as a G prospect. Departure of Domingue makes this pick more important.

Looke has a decent skill set. Nothing spectacular but could develop into a solid all around depth player.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, the Coyotes are sure in need of "exciting" players that is for sure. Our two most exciting players have been OEL & Yandle, both dmen.

Occasionally Boedker would make a great play, but besides that, nothing from the forwards. Domi should be a Wizard Ray Whitney type of player and I don't think we've had a player with the wheels like Duclair.

I know Boedker is fast, but he wasn't Lisin fast, I think Duclair is Lisin fast, but with the entire package rather than just a good set of wheels.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

I don't think Maloney would have been interested in trading him if he thought he could re-sign him, and as hbk said, he hasn't closed the door on bringing him back. What we know for sure is the team was dog **** last year and likely to be mediocre at best this year. Yandle's efforts would have been wasted. Meanwhile, if Duclair turns out to be a legitimate top 6 forward, he'll be hitting his prime along with the rest of the team's prospect core.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We should also consider the number of spots in the first round that moving Yandle/Vermette allowed us to move up in the draft. That's part of the return as well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think Maloney would have been interested in trading him if he thought he could re-sign him, and as hbk said, he hasn't closed the door on bringing him back. What we know for sure is the team was dog **** last year and likely to be mediocre at best this year. Yandle's efforts would have been wasted. Meanwhile, if Duclair turns out to be a legitimate top 6 forward, he'll be hitting his prime along with the rest of the team's prospect core.

Agreed. I was against trading Yandle but I like the trade in retrospect. We basically traded a future UFA we might not sign for an ELC that has 1st line upside, while we are rebuilding. If we get a new lease with the COG or have more solid plans to stay in Phoenix, Yandle might sign here as a UFA exactly when we really need him. Dmo/Verby/Z/Vermette all returned to Phoenix. That tells me that Phoenix is a well like area and that guys like playing for Tip/DM.

We will be in the same spot we would be now had we kept Yandle. In a year, when we have not been good for 1.5 years in Yandles absence, Yandle is a UFA. The upside is we have Duclair (ELC) for free really.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We should also consider the number of spots in the first round that moving Yandle/Vermette allowed us to move up in the draft. That's part of the return as well.

We should have stayed in 28th and won McDavid instead of tanking to 29th!

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Record last year with Yandle: 20-36-7, 47 pts, .373 pt%
Record post-Yandle trade: 4-14-1, 9 pts, .237 pt%

Definitely a drop off after Yandle left. The problem I see with re-signing him is it still doesn't solve the problem of getting a top-level RHD to play with Ollie. Not sure adding both makes sense.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It was said that he wasn't keen on signing here and that's part of why it was easier to trade him. Sitting on it and then losing him for nothing is exactly the sort of thing you'd criticize Maloney for.

Feb 12, 2003
Although there are exceptions to every situation, I usually believe the following about quality for quantity trades:

1) The team that gets the quality wins the trade (NY-Yandle)
2) The team that gets the quantity rarely gets anything of real value in the long term.

About the only time when this is not true is when someone trades for a rental that is gone over the summer (i.e. Vermette) or just an incredibly shrewd trade (way back in the day Iginla for Niewendyk or Naslund for Stojanov).

If Duclair turns into anything valuable to the team it's as good as it's going to get and may end up being a shrewd trade by Maloney. Odds are against it however.

Quality for quality trades have far more consistent returns on average, although there are of course exceptions to that as well.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sitting on it and then losing him for nothing is exactly the sort of thing you'd criticize Maloney for.

You're absolutely correct, but give him credit for stirring the pot and getting some conversation going here.

Yandle often times was the entertainment and while it made me sad to see him go, the prospect of Duclair alone should prove to make this a good trade, given the circumstsances.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I know Boedker is fast, but he wasn't Lisin fast, I think Duclair is Lisin fast, but with the entire package rather than just a good set of wheels.
I loved watching Lisin skate, that kid was freaking faaaast! I wanted him to pan out so bad but he could never put it all together offensively much less defensively. I'd love for Duclair to become what we all hoped Lisin would but I remain pretty skeptical. I'm worried Duclair is going to be Boedker at best only without the solid 2 way game. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->