Yandle as a forward

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think Z is better off with OEL. Z is very defensively responsible but he's not as fast as he used to be. Whoever partners Yands on the right side has got to be able to quarterback the D zone and backtrack at speed if necessary. That may have to be the result of a trade because I don't know if anyone in our pipeline fits that mold.

Murphy and Summers have the mobility to cover for Yandle.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
one of the problems this off-season is trying to find the one player to compliment Yandle on the blue line. Fayne was bounced around, thought about McQuaid if he can get back to 100% (I expect the Bruins to be shopping him, partly for cap reasons and partly for being passed over in depth). The Coyotes need an effective Yandle to compete! And it's all about his partner and the forwards he's out there with!

I do like McQuaid, but I don't think he'd be a better partner than Stone for Yandle in our Top 4. Boychuck would be a preferable option if we're targeting Bruins, but obviously Boychuck's value to the Bs blueline is greater than McQuaid's.

Fayne, Stralman, Gilbert, and Stuart are the external (and gettable) possibilities I see that can compliment Yandle well.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Summers is a left-shot guy though, right? Murphy needs some seasoning, too, before he gets thrown into the fire of a Yandle pairing... ;)

Summers can play on his off-hand and has quite a bit of experience doing that as Gormley's partner in Portland. And though I agree Murphy could stand to improve his conditioning and strength level, Tippett immediately threw Murphy into the fire with Yandle in his NHL debut and did pretty darn well, all things considered. ;-)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm open to this idea of trying Yandle at forward, maybe at center if he can win faceoffs. I'm also to the idea of having Biz playing on D as well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think Yandle's name in the trade rumor mill for the past few years signifies that the 1-2 defensive gaffes per game (which is kind of a low estimate IMO) are weighing on the minds of management.

I love Yandle's loyalty, his team play, his effect on the room, his incredible transition game when he gets a chance to use it, and his shot (when he takes it and doesn't pull the ol' double-clutch move). But here's the thing - it's questionable that the Coyotes have enough talent and depth to compensate for all the other stuff, and that's a very practical concern.

Before OEL came around, Yandle would have been untouchable, IMO. But OEL has all of Yandle's skill and virtually none of his baffling lapses. With Murphy and Gormley on the way and Summers resigned, I don't know how much longer Yandle sticks around - especially if some team gets desperate and offers us the moon for him.

Yandle's name is in trade rumors because we have OEL and 75% of the teams need or want a top 5 PMD that can generate offense. Yandle is well liked by many teams. Colorado and San Jose are missing a PMD, and that cost both of them in the playoffs. Unless DM and Tip lied at the year end pressor about Yandle's year and 2 way play, there is no way he gets traded. If he is traded we are left with 2 reliable D in OEL and Z, the rest are nor proven in the top 4 yet. You know Z will get hurt and miss 10-20 games but Yandle never gets hurt. If Z gets hurt we are down to OEL. Even if we signed a SAH D, I don't like it, I am betting DM and Tip won't either, so Yandle stays....

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fayne, Stralman, Gilbert, and Stuart are the external (and gettable) possibilities I see that can compliment Yandle well.

Just to play devil's advocate here... why is Fayne being let go? 26 year old RHD that can play a top four role don't grow on trees.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Just to play devil's advocate here... why is Fayne being let go? 26 year old RHD that can play a top four role don't grow on trees.

As far as I can tell, Devils HFers want Fayne back. But they do have a crowded blueline, with vets like Salvador, Volchenkov, Greene, Zidlicky (UFA), Harrold and lot of young guys in their pipeline that need time (Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Urbom). I don't think both Fayne and Zidlicky return and although Zidlicky is 37, he is coming off of a 42 point campaign.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I do like McQuaid, but I don't think he'd be a better partner than Stone for Yandle in our Top 4. Boychuck would be a preferable option if we're targeting Bruins, but obviously Boychuck's value to the Bs blueline is greater than McQuaid's.

i bring up McQuaid because he would be cheap & available @ the draft vs free agents (and the possibility of trading Stone before free agency starts). I don't think Stuart is available, the Jets re-signed him 2 months ago. I also speculated that Summers may be the player that can pair with Yandle and Fayne should be the 'A' option.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
i bring up McQuaid because he would be cheap & available @ the draft vs free agents (and the possibility of trading Stone before free agency starts). I don't think Stuart is available, the Jets re-signed him 2 months ago. I also speculated that Summers may be the player that can pair with Yandle and Fayne should be the 'A' option.

I meant Brad Stuart, not Mark Stuart. ;-) And you're certainly not the first who wanted to give Summers a shot in our Top 4 alongside Yandle. ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->