Injury Report: Yamamoto week to week with ankle injury

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
May not be a high ankle sprain but:

High ankle sprain recovery time hockey
It typically takes a hockey player 46 to 48 days to recover from a high ankle sprain, the vernacular for what the medical community calls a Syndesmosis sprain, according to a study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

How long do high ankle sprains take to heal?
Healing from a high ankle sprain can take anywhere from six weeks to three months — sometimes even more. Healing time depends on how badly you've injured the soft tissue and if there was any bone damage.Jan 8, 2019
A high ankle sprain is the worst scenario - if that is the case he will be out for over a month easily. Obviously I didn't have top-notch physio and docs looking at me, but I recovered from one last year after about 4 months.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
A high ankle sprain is the worst scenario - if that is the case he will be out for over a month easily. Obviously I didn't have top-notch physio and docs looking at me, but I recovered from one last year after about 4 months.

Just an overabundance of caution for the player.

Better he take a few days and get 100% rather than play through it and risk aggravating it just before playoffs.

Nothing to see here.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Well, that one sucks.

You guys have had quite some bad luck with injuries lately and Yamamoto really helped that line with Leon and Nugent-Hopkins.

Though luckily you've got some depth now and McDavid is back as well.

BTW: Does anyone know for how long Neal will be out?

Neal skated yesterday for the first time since his injury but he’s still at least 1-2 weeks away it sounds like. Could be longer though we don’t really know .

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I have no confidence in healing times for high sprains. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have no confidence in healing times for high sprains. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

Generally speaking though if it's really that bad you're not just walking around 2 days later with no limp, no crutches.

I've suffered a really bad one playing hockey and I couldn't even have a blanket on my foot because that much pressure on the foot was causing discomfort.

So that's encouraging for him.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
What is the obscure rule governing Puljujarvi? How come December was the deadline for him to come over rather than the TDL? Do we not have access to other players whose rights we hold but who have not played in NA? I assume not but not sure on the technicalities. You can bring up younger prospects from all levels, right? As raw as Lavoie is, I bet he is still better than some of our options. Benson should be back up - if Granlund is slotting in it should be for Russel or Khaira, not 3rd line duty.

Ok wayyyy off topic.

• The JP thing is related to the CBA which has deadlines for non-signed RFAs, however you’re missing the fact that JP has zero interest in ever coming back here.
  • If a non-NHL player is unsigned by an NHL team by December 1 they cannot play. So it’s not like we can just grab anyone from anywhere.
  • Why on Earth would you bring up Lavioe. The guy’s never even played pro hockey. How can you say he’s better than anyone on our ECHL team let alone our AHL affiliate?
  • Stop freaking out. We got Ennis and AA for a reason. Yamo will be back and things will be fine.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
No thanks omg enough with the Currie fandom. He’s another Ryan Cuffner

I'd have no problem with giving Currie a look for a few games... are you honestly saying that he might not have a little more to offer offensively than guys like Khaira/PRussell/Cave? All those guys have had plenty of time up on the big club and basically zero offense ( especially since Currie isn't a terrible defensive player either).

Kuffner

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'd have no problem with giving Currie a look for a few games... are you honestly saying that he might not have a little more to offer offensively than guys like Khaira/PRussell/Cave? All those guys have had plenty of time up on the big club and basically zero offense ( especially since Currie isn't a terrible defensive player either).

Kuffner

Agreed. I liked Currie's game last season, and he seems to be playing quite well in Bako this season.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Kuffner

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hesitation other than "he's not a kid."

Currie looked fine when he was up and put up a pretty good p/60.

He didn't get a ton of ice, but produced at a respectable level. Comparing him to other players with similar roles/ice times.

Currie 1.65/60
Caggiula 1.50/60
Khaira 1.39/60
Nygard 1.26/60
Haas .88/60

I'm sure that number would fall down with more games, but I mean, if you show well for 20 games, what's the harm in giving him another 10 games?

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We can’t take a key penalty killer out of the lineup. We need Chiasson on the PP, especially when Neal is out. I don’t think scoring goals has been an issue for the Oilers. They lead the entire league in goals per game this calendar year, which is a sample size of roughly 25% of the season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Neal skated yesterday for the first time since his injury but he’s still at least 1-2 weeks away it sounds like. Could be longer though we don’t really know .

Thanks.
At least with Ennis and Athanasiou you've got two fast wingers to help out.

Though, Yamamoto helped mostly because he's great at winning the puck and giving his line more opportunities to score.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Shitty! Whomever takes his spot has HUGE shoes to fill.

Take the time and get back to 100%.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Curious about this one. He hurt it in 2nd period. They took an extra look at it in the room evidently between periods as Yama was late coming out for the 3rd. Plays the whole 3rd and including the first shift and now they're saying he's injured?

Seems like maybe he shouldn't have been out in the 3rd period.

I still get worried about our medical and team staff. What does week to week really mean in Oilers doublespeak?

Holy f***. This stuff happens. Injuries with inflammation take a while to be fully apparent. The sky isn’t falling.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I recall seeing all 3 of Archibald, Gagner and Yamma in pain vs L.A. It scares me every time I see one of our players in pain.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I recall seeing all 3 of Archibald, Gagner and Yamma in pain vs L.A. It scares me every time I see one of our players in pain.

This was a constant scene in games with LA when they were contenders..actually we were 1-15 in games there in recent years even until the other nights big win.

Is the Yama 3-4 weeks at least a poor taste joke post? Seems kind of suspicious. "premed student" ummmm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad