Proposal: Yamamoto for Olli Juolevi and a small +

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'd do Moto+ for Virtanen. Don't know how many here would agree with it.

I quite like Yamamoto, I think he'd be a good flex option for the Canucks on the wing, but I can't imagine Benning actually trading Virtanen.

As for Juolevi for Yamamoto, I think the Canucks need to develop Juolevi more before giving up on him. He could still become a top 4 D imo

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Juolevi is interesting but not an immediate need for Edmonton with Jones, Bear and Bouchard likely vying for spots on the NHL roster next season.

I don't think Virtanen has that kind of value on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC2D

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think I'd prefer just to keep Yamamoto, but I much prefer Virtanen to Juolevi, Klefbom/Nurse will be our top 2 LHD for the foreseeable future.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
What's the general consensus on Juolevi at this point? Still hope to be a top-pairing or at least a top-4 guy? How's he looked in the AHL?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What's the general consensus on Juolevi at this point? Still hope to be a top-pairing or at least a top-4 guy? How's he looked in the AHL?

At this point? Best case scenario top 4 guy, worst case scenario never plays an NHL game.

Good offensively in the AHL, terrible defensively. Like unplayable at even strength against top lines.

Reactions: blinkman360

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Juolevi is interesting but not an immediate need for Edmonton with Jones, Bear and Bouchard likely vying for spots on the NH Lol roster next season.

I don't think Virtanen has that kind of value on his own.
What kind of value, you mean the value of a 5'8 winger who scored .67 point per game pace in the AHL? What am I missing?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Easy no

Switch Yamamoto to Puljujarvi and it's interesting.

No, it's not interesting at all for either player. This does nothing for the Oilers, they need Yamamoto or Puljujarvi a lot more than they need Juloevi.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What kind of value, you mean the value of a 5'8 winger who scored .67 point per game pace in the AHL? What am I missing?
Yes, the four year NHL veteran with a career high of 25 points is not worth the two years of waiver exemption of one of Edmonton's top forward prospects.

The fact that he's 5'8 would suggest the transition to pro hockey might take a little more time than a single season. And considering Edmonton's farm system is likely going to improve next season, I'd probably bank on his development over Virtanen, who is essentially another bottom six guy.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Should someone defending Virtanen really bring up AHL Production? Lol.

Yamamoto had 18 points in 27 AHL games. Virtanen had 19 points in 67 AHL games. Sooooo......

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Yes, the four year NHL veteran with a career high of 25 points is not worth the two years of waiver exemption of one of Edmonton's top forward prospects.

The fact that he's 5'8 would suggest the transition to pro hockey might take a little more time than a single season. And considering Edmonton's farm system is likely going to improve next season, I'd probably bank on his development over Virtanen, who is essentially another bottom six guy.
Fair enough. To me it looks like Virtanen is still developing, by my eye test he seems to be improving every year, but I agree that he has a long way to go before being an impact top 6 forward. Still only 22 though. But I didn't realize Yamamoto was rated so highly by Oil fans. Probably both fanbases are completely happy keeping their own guys then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad