Yakupov Vs Grigorenko

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Says the guy from Sarnia.

:shakehead

Its like you are already cheering for "your guys" to get drafted 1 and 2. "remember that Grigorenko is in a much better position to improve..." its like you are on a campaign.

Lets wait to see what they do this season, because judging 2 from watching them a lot and one guy never seen, you probably arent speaking very objectively.

Good ole HF Boards. Full of ignorant posters.

I watch Sarnia play a lot - yes but I also watch the other major junior leagues as much as I can too. If you think I am favouring Yakupov and Galchenyuk because I live close to Sarnia than you don't know much about hockey. These two players are special talents and will be top picks in the 2012 draft.

Grigorenko has a chance to show everyone what he has next year and is a legitimate talent. I have seen Grigorenko play quite a bit and I like what I see so don't sit there and tell me that I have never seen him play. He's ranked lower on my list (note: see my phrasing of "If I were an NHL GM at this moment in time") because he hadn't played in the CHL or showed an interest in coming to NA until recently.

All three of these players are extremely talented. I personally like Yakupov's upside and passion for the game. Galchenyuk brings a complete game which teams will love from a BIG center. He will be highly coveted because of the style he plays and he's got some untapped upside as well. We will find out what Grigorenko is made of this season - I wouldn't bet against him but at the moment he's not number 1 in my books.

You don't have to look for "Sarnia" posters to find other people who feel both Yakupov and Galchenyuk are being considered for 1st overall.

Next time read the post and refrain from starting ***** with ignorant posts.

the word*

As of this moment I would have to favor Grigorenko. Decent sized for a center and very skilled. He could be a good first line center in the NHL for a very long time.

I could change my opinion quickly if Yakupov can show some leadership and position Sarnia for a long playoff run but for Yakupov's game to translate to the NHL hes going to have to get alot bigger and more shifty, hopefully both.

I guess Grigorenko is the safer bet and Yakupov has a shot at being the better player.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Obviously Grigorenko is the hardest to get a glimpse of so maybe that's playing a role, but I still like Yakupov and Galchenyuk over him right now. Will be interesting to keep tabs on him in the Q though.

My personal favorite (not who I think will necessarily be the best) is Galchenyuk. Everything he does is silky smooth, and it looks like the game is slowed down for him as he's playing it, kind of like Datsyuk. But he might be the highest risk of the three in terms of translating his game to the pros. It's one thing to read the game well at the junior level, it's a whole other thing to do it in the NHL.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
As of this moment I would have to favor Grigorenko. Decent sized for a center and very skilled. He could be a good first line center in the NHL for a very long time.

I could change my opinion quickly if Yakupov can show some leadership and position Sarnia for a long playoff run but for Yakupov's game to translate to the NHL hes going to have to get alot bigger and more shifty, hopefully both.

I guess Grigorenko is the safer bet and Yakupov has a shot at being the better player.

Again I will repeat that I haven't seen Grigorenko enough to make an intelligent comment - having said that I have read your's and some other people comment about Yakupov's size. I disagree that there is even a slight issue here - while Grigorenko may be bigger, I can tell you Yakupov is more that big enough to be an excellent pro. He is bigger than Stamkos at that age and is a hard worker off ice.

Watching him play, I don't find out where people are commenting on his size - especially since he is continuously playing against the other teams best older players. As for being shifty, I really don't understand that comment either - he is excellent at creating space, both with skating ability and puck handling - the skills he uses to do this should transfer to the pro game. Having said the above, size and skill is such a rare commodity I don't disagree with giving Grigorenko the nod right now - guys like this do not come every year.

Galenchuk is also the real deal - especially when you consider his improvement the last half of the season. He should be fun to watch this year.

I do fully agree with your assessment regarding Yakupov's leadership. If there is one piece of his game that he could improve it would be this. Of course the transition here isn't easy and I am not offering this as a critcism given his situation - really he has exceeded expectations even though the expectations are low. Should he make huge strides this year and show leadership, it would only help him.

Having said the above, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a personalize pissing contest. How fortunate we are to have the ability to watch these players live at fantastic prices. I think few people fully realized what was in front of them when Drew Doughty and Steve Stamkos (and John Tavares) were battling it out on the same ice. Only a few years ago these Russian players wouldn't be available to watch live in Junior because they were playing in Russia. Celebrate it, discuss it, enjoy it - it doesn't come along every year, who knows how long it will be before it happens again.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
I think the reason people are questioning Yakupov's size is the bulldog mentality that he plays with. He is literally fearless and will run over players to score goals. People are wondering whether that will be able to translate to the nhl when you're trying to run over guys like Chara, Weber, Regehr etc...

I don't think it will affect him much to be honest as a kid with that kind of desire to score goals will find a way but I think that's what others are referring too when they bring up size as a concern.

Funny though how there is such a double standard that if a player is small but avoids contact they are soft and if they are small and aggressive there game might not translate.

Fulcrum

I think Yakupov is still quiet far from filling out in his frame, even height wise. He might get up to 6-6'1'', and imagine him at 200+lbs. He'll can be a lot like Tarasenko, and then there really would be only a handful of defenders able to hold of his speed and drive to score goals.

pouskin74*

I think Yakupov is still quiet far from filling out in his frame, even height wise. He might get up to 6-6'1'', and imagine him at 200+lbs. He'll can be a lot like Tarasenko, and then there really would be only a handful of defenders able to hold of his speed and drive to score goals.

he is already 6.0 and 190

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

what's this guy's prospect rating? he's obviously not the next Crosby or Ovy, right?

4thliner*

Obviously Grigorenko is the hardest to get a glimpse of so maybe that's playing a role, but I still like Yakupov and Galchenyuk over him right now. Will be interesting to keep tabs on him in the Q though.

My personal favorite (not who I think will necessarily be the best) is Galchenyuk. Everything he does is silky smooth, and it looks like the game is slowed down for him as he's playing it, kind of like Datsyuk. But he might be the highest risk of the three in terms of translating his game to the pros. It's one thing to read the game well at the junior level, it's a whole other thing to do it in the NHL.

Galchenyuk is very safe, as in Marian Hossa safe. He is just a touch below the other 2. As far as translating his game the guy is 6-3 to go along with elite skills.

Fulcrum

I think WJC will be VERY telling. These guys will be playing in exactly the same environment, against exectly the same opponents. Whoever steps up more, it'll be very visible. Grigorenko does have the advantage in that he'll be with Gusev and Kucherov.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Good call. Because a player who plays in Europe has never been taken first overall over someone in the CHL.

The issue here isn't the leagues they are playing in, talent or development wise. Both CHL and KHL are the tops in developing consistant NHL talent.

What is the issue is commitment. Its no secret that NHL clubs shy away from taking Russians because of the flee factor (ie. Radulov), they don't want to see their pick wasted on a player who doesn't want to cross the pond.

Yakupov is doing his best to show everyone that he is commited to the NHL and their playing style by coming to Canada as early as he could.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
The issue here isn't the leagues they are playing in, talent or development wise. Both CHL and KHL are the tops in developing consistant NHL talent.

What is the issue is commitment. Its no secret that NHL clubs shy away from taking Russians because of the flee factor (ie. Radulov), they don't want to see their pick wasted on a player who doesn't want to cross the pond.

Yakupov is doing his best to show everyone that he is commited to the NHL and their playing style by coming to Canada as early as he could.

It's a moot point now that they're both in the CHL. Grigorenko also came over to the CHL as early as he could, for reference.

I just thought it was ridiculous notion that the best player in the draft would be passed over for a lesser player because the lesser player plays in the CHL. It's never happened, in the modern era, at least intentionally.

Koto

May 3, 2011
grigorenko would be my pick for two reasons, position and size

this is coming from an oiler fan who wanted taylor hall, but is now in doubt lol :s

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The scouts in Gatineau/Ottawa region probably are the best ones to talk about in this discussion. They get to see plenty of QMJHL/OHL games. From what I seen in online games and TV, Girgorenko has the ability to slow the game down and put defenders on edge. To be a player of his size and skill as well, this makes him a very attractive prospect in this years draft. He reminds me of a young Vincent Lecavalier, probably same consistency issues as well.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
As much as I love Yakupov, Grigorenko is my favorite at the moment. Not saying he will be better than Yakupov, but the way he plays is just amazing. Sick hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad