Yakupov Vs Grigorenko

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
If the Leafs and Jets draft 1st and 2nd overall respectively, I want the Leafs to draft Grigorenko and the Jets to draft Yakupov.

IMO, I don't think that Toronto and Winnipeg will suck that bad. The team that has the best chance to tank..probably Calgary(worst team in the NHL IMO..GM Jay Feaster hasn't done anything to help the team that much and the future looks so bad), or Dallas (bye bye Neal and Richards? Who's left after Benn and Eriksson..no good goalie tandem).

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
IMO, I don't think that Toronto and Winnipeg will suck that bad. The team that has the best chance to tank..probably Calgary(worst team in the NHL IMO..GM Jay Feaster hasn't done anything to help the team that much and the future looks so bad), or Dallas (bye bye Neal and Richards? Who's left after Benn and Eriksson..no good goalie tandem).

I know neither of them will be that bad, but a hillbilly can hope.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Not trying to troll. What I know about Yakupov is what I read on here. But all this talk about intensity and driving to the net, etc.. reminds me of how people talk of Brule in junior. Brule stepped into the NHL and all of a sudden his small powerforward game didn't work against men. Could you see something similar happen to Yakupov? Why or why not?

ramzanahmadovic

Jul 24, 2011
Not trying to troll. What I know about Yakupov is what I read on here. But all this talk about intensity and driving to the net, etc.. reminds me of how people talk of Brule in junior. Brule stepped into the NHL and all of a sudden his small powerforward game didn't work against men. Could you see something similar happen to Yakupov? Why or why not?

They have nothing in common and Yakupov is no power forward
he is finesse player with dekes and stuff. He is just plays very Ovechkin
uber aggressive direct to the net, direct through the middle kind of game.

Koto

May 3, 2011
They have nothing in common and Yakupov is no power forward
he is finesse player with dekes and stuff. He is just plays very Ovechkin
uber aggressive direct to the net, direct through the middle kind of game.

so hes not a power forward but hes a power forward?

hdtrax

Yakupov, unlike Brule, has franchise-level talent. Elite speed, shot and playmaking. Like someone said, he's a lot like Ovechkin (just smaller).

Keep in mind Brule's game also didn't translate because he was rushed into the NHL and broke his leg into his rookie season (around January). That screwed up his development badly and he's never bounced back since. So there are other factors involved

Fulcrum

Hahah - Calgary drafting a Russian.. haha, almost as likely as Buffalo. Who was the last guy- Taratukhin? who? - yeah exactly.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Hahah - Calgary drafting a Russian.. haha, almost as likely as Buffalo. Who was the last guy- Taratukhin? who? - yeah exactly.

I have never mentionned Calgary taking a Russian.. I was pointing out that Calgary itself didn't have a strong team and I consider them a lottery pick team. Although, you'd be a fool not to draft Yakupov if your team had the chance to.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I have never mentionned Calgary taking a Russian.. I was pointing out that Calgary itself didn't have a strong team and I consider them a lottery pick team. Although, you'd be a fool not to draft Yakupov if your team had the chance to.

I'd rather Calgary took the big center personally. And they would definitely take a Russian if he was clearly BPA.

Not to mention it's a new regime in Calgary. They selected two Europeans with their first two picks.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I'd rather Calgary took the big center personally. And they would definitely take a Russian if he was clearly BPA.

Not to mention it's a new regime in Calgary. They selected two Europeans with their first two picks.

Yeah I agree.. I was only taking Yakupov as an example of a Russian, but Galchenyuk and Grigorenko both seemed very promising and could be a franchise centerman for the Flames.. Actually for any other team too.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I have watched Yakupov a tonne over the last year and there isn't a more exciting player in the CHL.

His best comparisons are to Pavel Bure (for his speed) and Ovechkin-lite (for the passion he brings to the game and his wicked shot). Yakupov has game-breaking ability and showed it almost every night last season. There were times when Sarnia was down 3,4 or 5 goals and Yakupov single-handedly made the game a close one.

At the moment, Yakupov is probably ranked #1 but it will be an interesting year as Grigorenko plays in the Q. It would have been real nice if he chose to come to the OHL instead but the CHL is definitely a good sign for Grigorenko.

In the end, I really like Galchenyuk to become the best NHLer with the least risk (among Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk). He plays a very cerebral game and is extremely smart at both ends of the rink. A previous poster stated that Galchenyuk lacked intensity and that couldn't be further from the truth. His compete level is off the charts but his game isn't as flashy as his teammates' Yakupov.

Going forward --- Grigorenko has the best opportunity to improve his draft status so keep that in mind as he comes to NA. The QMJHL (traditionally) has been a weaker league and he could simply dominate it (the way Yakupov did last year). As for Yakupov, Sarnia has drastically improved their team depth during this summer's offseason and that could negatively affect Yakupov's personal production as Sarnia won't need to rely on the Russians as much as last year with players like Carneval, (healthy) Ritchie and possibly Rensfeldt in the lineup. Points will be harder to come by for Yakupov so it will be a challenge for him to improve on his point totals from last year so keep that in mind.

Fortunately for Yakupov he does possess an extremely high compete level and he will do everything he can to score points. I just hope that he doesn't get frustrated if his personal success isn't replicated this year. Just remember that Grigorenko is in a much better position to improve his draft status while Yakupov will be challenged more.

If I were an NHL GM at this moment in time I would draft the forwards in the following order:
1. Yakupov
2a. Grigorenko
2b. Galchenyuk

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I have watched Yakupov a tonne over the last year and there isn't a more exciting player in the CHL.

His best comparisons are to Pavel Bure (for his speed) and Ovechkin-lite (for the passion he brings to the game and his wicked shot). Yakupov has game-breaking ability and showed it almost every night last season. There were times when Sarnia was down 3,4 or 5 goals and Yakupov single-handedly made the game a close one.

At the moment, Yakupov is probably ranked #1 but it will be an interesting year as Grigorenko plays in the Q. It would have been real nice if he chose to come to the OHL instead but the CHL is definitely a good sign for Grigorenko.

In the end, I really like Galchenyuk to become the best NHLer with the least risk (among Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk). He plays a very cerebral game and is extremely smart at both ends of the rink. A previous poster stated that Galchenyuk lacked intensity and that couldn't be further from the truth. His compete level is off the charts but his game isn't as flashy as his teammates' Yakupov.

Going forward --- Grigorenko has the best opportunity to improve his draft status so keep that in mind as he comes to NA. The QMJHL (traditionally) has been a weaker league and he could simply dominate it (the way Yakupov did last year). As for Yakupov, Sarnia has drastically improved their team depth during this summer's offseason and that could negatively affect Yakupov's personal production as Sarnia won't need to rely on the Russians as much as last year with players like Carneval, (healthy) Ritchie and possibly Rensfeldt in the lineup. Points will be harder to come by for Yakupov so it will be a challenge for him to improve on his point totals from last year so keep that in mind.

Fortunately for Yakupov he does possess an extremely high compete level and he will do everything he can to score points. I just hope that he doesn't get frustrated if his personal success isn't replicated this year. Just remember that Grigorenko is in a much better position to improve his draft status while Yakupov will be challenged more.

If I were an NHL GM at this moment in time I would draft the forwards in the following order:
1. Yakupov
2a. Grigorenko
2b. Galchenyuk

Just wanted to bring up the point that Grigorenko didn't decide to go to the QMJHL instead of the OHL, he was drafted by a QMJHL team and therefore couldn't go to the OHL even if he wanted to.

Skylimit

Oct 5, 2009
Grigorenko 1st choice was Quebec Remparts.

when you dont know what you are talking ... :sarcasm: ;)

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Just wanted to bring up the point that Grigorenko didn't decide to go to the QMJHL instead of the OHL, he was drafted by a QMJHL team and therefore couldn't go to the OHL even if he wanted to.

Nitpicking. My point was that the OHL is a better league than the QMJHL for NHL development and it would've been nice for him to go there. Yes, I know he was drafted to the Q but he easily could've been drafted to the OHL too :D In the end, it's good that he's decided to come to the CHL.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Grigorenko's agent called Patrick Roy back in December and a few weeks before the import draft. He chose his destination.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
Like Dean Youngblood82 I was fortunate enough to watch Yakupov in 30+ games and several practices. We were also fortunate to have been able to watch Stamkos just a few years earlier.

Regardless of where Yakupov is drafted, he will be a top notch pro. He was able to rack up the points on a bad team where he was always getting more than his fair share of attention. This will not go un-noticed by scouts. It should be noted that Stamkos had a better supporting cast, particularly Ryan Wilson on the PP - Wilson was an excellent passer and Wilson's shot always provided Stamkos with a little more space.

I am looking forward to seeing Grigorenko play in the Q - it will go a long way for the scouts to make their decision. It should be a good show.

arsmaster*

Yakupov, unlike Brule, has franchise-level talent. Elite speed, shot and playmaking. Like someone said, he's a lot like Ovechkin (just smaller).

Keep in mind Brule's game also didn't translate because he was rushed into the NHL and broke his leg into his rookie season (around January). That screwed up his development badly and he's never bounced back since. So there are other factors involved
IM pretty sure Brule broke his collarbone in maybe his first game in the NHL (my memory may be off here a bit, but I think IM close).

1. Yakupov
2a. Grigorenko
2b. Galchenyuk

Says the guy from Sarnia.

:shakehead

Its like you are already cheering for "your guys" to get drafted 1 and 2. "remember that Grigorenko is in a much better position to improve..." its like you are on a campaign.

Lets wait to see what they do this season, because judging 2 from watching them a lot and one guy never seen, you probably arent speaking very objectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad