Yakupov Vs Grigorenko

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
irrelephant.jpg

:laugh:

On topic: If they think Grigorenko could be as star like Ovechkin/Malkin/Kovy etc. then there's a good chance, but all will come down to the combine and what he say and does there. Even if he said something good or bad in the news, you never get the hole truth, because media has a way of twisting it. At the combine he will get the chance to sit down with the teams and explain and tell them what he really wants. I'd love to see Grigo come over and play in the CHL.

arsmaster*

I think that the North American-Russian factor will play huge into the decision of whoever is picking 1-2-3 in June 2012.

Teams will probably be very split on who they like more come that time, so the fact that Yakupov already players in NA could be HUGE for him.

Radulov (Played in CHL)? Filatov(didnt)? The same outcome...who knows?

I take the smooth center everytime, if I deem them in the same talent category. Grigorenko makes things look effortless, wheras Yakupov makes it look like he is working hard.

member 30781

Radulov (Played in CHL)? Filatov(didnt)? The same outcome...who knows?

I take the smooth center everytime, if I deem them in the same talent category. Grigorenko makes things look effortless, wheras Yakupov makes it look like he is working hard.

Yakupov is playing against much quicker and better competition on a smaller ice surface.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Intensity is heavily reliant on being in great shape. As soon as a player is out of that GREAT shape, we get what we saw with Ovechkin this year- weaker play. Not to mention it will only last him until about 30 anyway, at best. Meanwhile I like that he is being compared to Bure in many ways, there are some drawbacks in this approach.

You don't have to look far to see that smartest players (Gretzky, Jagr, Selanne, Fedorov) pan out better than intense players in the long run.

As far as OHL vs Europe - Grigorenko WILL play, some games, in the KHL next year with CSKA. Meanwhile Yakupov willl be in Sarnia, and possibly without playoffs again. We shall see how that works out...

What does a long career matter when you don't win anything. In todays nhl , you need both smarts and intensity. Have you seen Sedin twins and for the longest time Joe Thornton play without intensity in the playoffs??

Today's nhl is different. Nobody would ever take a Sedin twin vs Kesler to be on their playoffs roster

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
What does a long career matter when you don't win anything. In todays nhl , you need both smarts and intensity. Have you seen Sedin twins and for the longest time Joe Thornton play without intensity in the playoffs??

Today's nhl is different. Nobody would ever take a Sedin twin vs Kesler to be on their playoffs roster

You're serious? From a fan's point of view I can see what you mean, but from a players perspective, the length of a career does matter quite abit.

Beside that I get your point. But when you got a big, fast skating, elite skilled player with a worldclass intelligence and no character issues, you just grab him....and hope your a good enough coach to teach him, what he's missing...

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
2007 ; Cherepanov fell. He was a concensus Top 5 talent who well because of the Russian factor.

2009 ; Kulikov fell because of the Russian factor. Was a Top ten talent.

2010 ; Tarasenko was ranked as a Top 5 talent from many sources. Fell to 16. Kuznetsov was considered a Top 15 talent and fell.

The Russian factor does exist and is an issue. It has seen Russian based players fall in the rankings nearly every year. Which is odd to me ; No 1st round Russian player who was good enough to be a good NHL player has ever not come over yet. The Russian factor shouldn't scare teams off the really good ones ; it's the mid level guys where it really kicks in.

Still, it is likely Grigorenko could see a drop off because he is Russian based. Though if people had read the thread properly, i stated best hockey prospect ; not best NHL prospect. This thread was meant to determine their respective talent levels, not signability.

oh I am not saying it does not exist but if a player like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin type talent (ALA Grigorenko and Yakupov) are in a draft they will go the 1st and 2nd overall because a team will find a way to bring and keep them in the NHL if they are that good. But the players that are effected by the transfer they do not fall that far in there draft either...we are only talking spots not whole rounds.

Fulcrum

I think its important to not over hype these two. They are still quiet far away from being a Sure talent like Ovi and so on. They just started shining. A good junior season at their age is great, but their real tests are ahead of them - U20, playoffs and so on.

I will challenge the much better and faster opponents part for Yakupov.

I don't think there is THAT big of a gap between MHL and CHL. CHL is the best development league right now - yes, but MHL is no joke either- they have great smart coaches there. And a lot more attention than Russian juniors have ever had. Not to mention its U-21, making it a bit tougher. Kuznetsov couldn't score a goal in 3 games in playoffs, and he was in shape and trying. Superseries is another good reminder.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It's not interesting to talk who will draft higher because one plays in the OHL and the other is still in Russia. It's exciting to predict who will be a better hockey player.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Grigorenko is a very interesting player to me, moreso than Yakupov, although that may be due to the fact that he hasn't played in North America yet. Interesting to see what he can do in the QMJHL and the World Juniors should he make it.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Grigorenko and Galchenyuk imo will suffer in the nhl much like a guy like Backstrom, Sedin twins have in the playoffs. The intensity is lacking. But this is not to say they won't be good players in the regular season

Talent and size alone, Grigorenko is better than Yakupov. But when you factor in, going into the dirty areas, paying the price in front of the net and playing with intensity and passion Yakupov is better prospect.

arsmaster*

Grigorenko and Galchenyuk imo will suffer in the nhl much like a guy like Backstrom, Sedin twins have in the playoffs. The intensity is lacking. But this is not to say they won't be good players in the regular season

Talent and size alone, Grigorenko is better than Yakupov. But when you factor in, going into the dirty areas, paying the price in front of the net and playing with intensity and passion Yakupov is better prospect.

Henrik looked pretty intense while absolutely dominating a conference final series.

Sorry for the off-topic, I just find people taking quiet players who aren't 'rah-rah" guys ie. Sakic, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Sedin as not intense.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
What kind of numbers/points should we expect from Grigorenko in the QMJHL

I expect him to be a PPG+ player around 40g 40a 80pts in 66-68 games. But, him playing on a strong squad with the Quebec Remparts along with guys like Adam Erne, Nick Sorensen, Anthony Duclair, Ryan Bourque and Frédéric Roy, it could be possible to see him reach the 100 pts plateau. Keep an eye on Nathan MacKinnon too...he's going to play on a stacked team in Halifax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->