Yakupov becomes UFA after Blues don’t extend qualifying offer

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/26/yakupov-becomes-ufa-after-blues-walk-away/

Nail Yakupov, the first overall draft pick only five years ago, has become an unrestricted free agent.

The 23-year-old winger was not extended a qualifying offer by the St. Louis Blues, thus providing him UFA status. He played 40 games for the Blues in 2016-17, battling a knee injury and scoring just three goals.

Yakupov wants to remain in the NHL, saying in May he has zero plans to return to Russia. It’s possible he could re-sign with the Blues at a lower salary than his qualifying offer would’ve been.

If not, there are 30 other teams he can speak with now.

Yakupov is currently in the conversation with Alexandre Daigle and Patrik Stefan in terms of biggest first overall busts in NHL history.

The Blues did extend qualifying offers to five players: defensemen Colton Parayko and Petteri Lindbohm, forwards Magnus Paajarvi and Oskar Sundqvist, and goalie Jordan Binnington.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Outbid every other team on a 1 year prove it contract.

Put him with Shipachyov and a two way puck retriever / grinder and I think it has a chance of working out.

This is if Dadonov / Gusev don't come over.

The talent and worth ethic is there, he just needs to mature more and backcheck harder.

With a team that is going to be bad, might as well. If Emelin and Methot are moved, there's oodles of cap space.

I am biased though. I will admit I thought Yak would be a dynamic goal scorer after watching a couple of games of him in Sarnia.

But seriously, McPhee needs to be all over him.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I presume only the lower end rosters will consider him. So I'd offer him a two year, incentive-heavy contract where if he comes in and doesn't work out I can cut him quickly.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
As an Oiler fan I can say you want no part of him. He just isn't an NHL player and bleed chances against for very little reward on the scoresheet. Let Montreal or New Jersey try. He's not worth a contract spot. He's gonna be a good European player and that's fine. He's just not an NHL player.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Gusev isn't coming over this year, so why not?

Has he ever even played with another Russian on his line? Not that is some X factor, but it could help him out.

Coming in with no expectations, a team with very open positions, and where he could get some PP time and score on some one-timers. He's a talented player who works hard. He has just been misguided, and lacks a bit in the hockey IQ department.

With his talent alone, if he matures I think he can still be a middle 6 goal scorer.

I have always wondered what if he went somewhere other than Edmonton...where would he be today? I think he has one more chance before he gets pushed out to Russia.

We have nothing to lose. Let's give him that Hail Mary last chance.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Is he fast and can he score on an open net? If yes, then he should be able to put up a lot being spoon fed by Eichel.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Eva's is in a great position to offer a prove it type deal to Yakupov, with no strings.

If one of Pulkinen or Yakupov can right the ship, McPhee will have turned nothing into something valuable, which is always a good thing for an up and coming franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad