Prospect Info: Yakov Trenin

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A 2-way deal only pays less if he doesn't make the team and goes to the AHL. If he wants a 1-way deal, he'll need to take a lower amount at the NHL level.
Lower than what? We don't know what he's asking for. Unless he and/or his agent are nuts, it's really just the 1-way that matters. The salary attached to it shouldn't be much of a sticking point for their side.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Looking back at the most recent RFA deals guys who hadn’t cemented a spot in the NHL were Watson, Sissons, and Gaudreau. All those guys signed deals that started off with one year with a two way contract followed by 1-2 years with a one way. Wonder if Trenin is getting a similar offer?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Looking back at the most recent RFA deals guys who hadn’t cemented a spot in the NHL were Watson, Sissons, and Gaudreau. All those guys signed deals that started off with one year with a two way contract followed by 1-2 years with a one way. Wonder if Trenin is getting a similar offer?
Might be, but they didn't really have another league they were willing to go to either. Plus keep in mind there is zero clue what the AHL will be doing this season.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Might be, but they didn't really have another league they were willing to go to either. Plus keep in mind there is zero clue what the AHL will be doing this season.
Yeah, if Poile is going to approach the Trenin dossier like he has all those other guys, then he's suffering from dementia, basically. He's not usually so "old school" or close-minded in some other areas. I tend to think of him as a fairly progressive hockey person, especially given his age and longevity in the league. But if he stubbornly clings to a dogmatic formula here, he's just hurting himself. He shouldn't have very much slack left in his job... hurting the team and himself is something he might want to think about. Trenin should just go ahead and get on the ice with SKA, I'm thinking. I wouldn't take any more BS from the Preds in his position.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, if Poile is going to approach the Trenin dossier like he has all those other guys, then he's suffering from dementia, basically. He's not usually so "old school" or close-minded in some other areas. I tend to think of him as a fairly progressive hockey person, especially given his age and longevity in the league. But if he stubbornly clings to a dogmatic formula here, he's just hurting himself. He shouldn't have very much slack left in his job... hurting the team and himself is something he might want to think about. Trenin should just go ahead and get on the ice with SKA, I'm thinking. I wouldn't take any more BS from the Preds in his position.
I'm guessing the only reason he hasn't that once he does he is locked in until the KHL season is over. I think he'd rather be in the NHL but he isn't just going to accept anything.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The treated badly thing goes back to memories of what we were hearing out of Milwaukee fans. Essentially the coach barely played him, despite the fact he was better than players he was sitting for. When he did get to play it was often commented that he was misused. If I'm remembering correctly most of them were pretty shocked he didn't bail then.

Fast forward to this year and he finally got a chance, and frankly looked better than the guys he was sitting for. I suspect Hynes choice on players mainly erred on the side of playoff experience. We saw how that went.

I'm gonna guess Trenin wants two things, money and an assurance of playing time. The million dollar question is what can he make in Russia vs here and what kind of playing time can he get.

The other may be his initial feelings about Hynes, and based on the playoffs that leaves me concerned.

Dean Evason either didn't like him or he choose to ignore Trenin. He was a skilled Russian player on the 4th line. He played about half of the Admirals games. (I checked, it 44 out of 76 games. That means he sat out 32 games.) He scored 5 G and 11 A and was +3 with 16 PIMs as a rookie in the AHL. He played on the wing a lot. To me, that was a "lost season". Tyler Moy, Trenin's teammate in Milwaukee, played forward and had 6 G 10 A and was -18 in 72 games. Moy played 36 games for three different teams in 3 different leagues in 2018-19, but he was in the line up 28 more times in that same season than Trenin, who generated the same stats. Trenin was a smooth skater and a good stickhandler and passer, even as a AHL rookie. He needed a little work on being a finisher. He didn't get that sitting out 32 games and playing on the wing many games instead of at center.

The next season with Karl Taylor, he played 74 games with 14 G 19 A and +21 with 39 PIMs and he played center.

Last season, Trenin played 32 games in Milwaukee with 20 G 15 A with 29 PIMs and + 16 as a center, for 1.09 PPG.

The turning point for Trenin was his get boarded in Cleveland and injuring his shoulder. After he came back, he was a different player. He played a much more physical game, even as the puck carrier. He was like a power forward who looked to run over a defenseman instead of always trying to go around him.

I would hate to see Nashville, a scoring challenged team, lose him. He could score 20 goals a season in the NHL. He just needs to play a season in the NHL and not just on the 4th line. The zero playoffs was a disappointment to me. Imagine how Trenin feels about it!

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
None of those contracts keeps Poile from offering Trenin one. He could easily take Smith's spot or push Watson to the bench. Not to mention any of the 3 could be moved fairly easily.
poile may still see the bottom 6 as pretty "full". he signed jarnkrok and sissons to 7 year deals. watson just extended this past year. throw in bonino and Grimaldi. poile may not see trenin as this lock to make the roster like us.

he's obviously gambling if he hasn't even offered trenin a contract. All the while, trenin is over in Russia flirting with SKA.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
poile may still see the bottom 6 as pretty "full". he signed jarnkrok and sissons to 7 year deals. watson just extended this past year. throw in bonino and Grimaldi. poile may not see trenin as this lock to make the roster like us.

he's obviously gambling if he hasn't even offered trenin a contract. All the while, trenin is over in Russia flirting with SKA.
Even if you sign Trenin you still need those guys, besides its not like Watson is making enough that using him as an extra man is going to kill you. Id say its more likely he is waiting on something or waiting on more clarity about what is coming up.

If they decide to not play until fans are allowed back in then he doesn't need to pay him anything. Then again you would think he would sign him and loan him out like Tolvanen if nothing else.

If he hasn't even made an offer you would have to think there is a reason why. Looking at the trade boards there has only been a RFA or two signed, so everyone may be taking it slow.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I just don't see the point in offering a 2-way contract, though. If for some reason Trenin didn't make our team, 30 other NHL teams aren't dumb enough to pass him up on assignment waivers. There's no way he's getting through to Milwaukee, regardless.

Well, in a "normal" season scenario anyway, I guess. If there is no Milwaukee in 2020-21, maybe they are somehow thinking players won't have to clear assignment waivers in the coming season. But to me, again, it shouldn't matter... because if that was your thinking, you'd STILL sign him today, and then loan him to a European team, presumably still not paying him? Or do you have to pay him some part if he's on loan? :dunno:

I can't fathom the thinking that he wouldn't make our team, though.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
If Trenin is good enough to play in the NHL full time next year he’ll be offered a fair deal and he’ll sign it. Lots of players threaten to play in the KHL but nobody wants to cause ultimately the big bucks are NHL bucks.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

With the Radulov situation in the back of his mind I think Poile is being cautious. And will be even moreso now. Especially with a oneway contract. He has 6 contracts available and at a minimum will need to use 5 of them. While it should be a no brainer to give the kid a shot due to Cap issues the slots needed to be filled are on the 2nd line, and defense. I can not see Slotting two ELC's to the 2nd line and do not see any of the bottom 9 capable of moving up. One of the young guys will get a shot and the posturing a move to the KHL will only give Poile more cause to wait.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We're basically hearing one side of the story being fed from an agent that is willing to leverage jumping ship to the KHL as a bargaining chip. Even if you don't think Poile deserves the benefit of the doubt, this isn't enough to start jumping to conclusions with. Based on the direction the roster is going in for next season, you have to figure Trenin fits into the plan and a deal will get done.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
We're basically hearing one side of the story being fed from an agent that is willing to leverage jumping ship to the KHL as a bargaining chip. Even if you don't think Poile deserves the benefit of the doubt, this isn't enough to start jumping to conclusions with. Based on the direction the roster is going in for next season, you have to figure Trenin fits into the plan and a deal will get done.
I certainly hope you are right. That said, if we were to lose Trenin than I would be extremely dissatisfied with Poile's decision making.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The one side we are hearing though is disconcerting... and entirely credible... that Poile would push for a 2-way deal for Trenin is something I really don't have any trouble believing --- and being mad about.

The piece of information we're missing is what $$$ Trenin is looking for. IF he's ok with $750k on a 1-way deal, then I'm firmly on Trenin's side. He deserves it. Whatever past antics Poile was able to accomplish with the distinguished cohort of Petter Granberg, Bitetto, Gaudreau, Aberg, etc, etc, is really not remotely relevant to me. Sure, he got them to sign up for 2-way/1-way combo deals. Good for him. But Trenin is a new player, with different leverages, and we actually need him more than we ever needed those players.

So:
Poile playing hardball against a 1-way $750k contract is entirely on Poile. This is the more credible scenario to me.

Trenin playing hard to get and asking for a 1-way deal at $1M is entirely on Trenin. He's ready to play in the NHL, but he just doesn't have the accumulated track record to ask for any $$$ bigger than league-minimum or a bit above on a 1-way deal. I find it unlikely that a certified NHL agent would fail to recognize this and would ask for more $$$. But who knows.

It's not exactly "jumping to conclusions".... it's just balancing the probabilities based on the half side of the story we do have, while still acknowledging the missing info... :dunno:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Let's keep in mind Trenin's a 23-year-old player who's scored 2 NHL goals. Although, he hasn't been given a good look in the big league, he's still isn't the next coming of Gretzky, he's probably a decent bottom-6'er if anything.

In this situation where we're looking to clean house, I'd still be pretty disappointed if we lost him for nothing. In the games he played, he looked physical and energetic, something we need right now to our team.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Let's keep in mind Trenin's a 23-year-old player who's scored 2 NHL goals. Although, he hasn't been given a good look in the big league, he's still isn't the next coming of Gretzky, he's probably a decent bottom-6'er if anything.

In this situation where we're looking to clean house, I'd still be pretty disappointed if we lost him for nothing. In the games he played, he looked physical and energetic, something we need right now to our team.
The fact Poile hasn't even made them an offer is what blows my mind. I mean maybe he's waiting on something but you wait to long and there won't be anything to wait on.

The only thing I can think of is they are waiting on the playoffs to end and then they will determine some things. He may be waiting to see how they are going to handle AHL contracts and players.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
The fact Poile hasn't even made them an offer is what blows my mind.

Do we actually know that's a fact? I think earlier in this thread it was stated that the agent said Poile hadn't offered a ONE-WAY deal; that implies to me that he HAS offered Trenin a contract, but at least one year of it is two-way. Which I'm fine with. Trenin isn't some 18-year-old phenom that's about to set the league on fire. He's a guy who seems like he might be a decent bottom-six player who hasn't managed to get into the NHL full-time yet. Yeah I'd like to see him on the team. I'd love it if he turned out to be a good middle-six guy who could pot 20 goals. But I certainly haven't seen that from him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Do we actually know that's a fact? I think earlier in this thread it was stated that the agent said Poile hadn't offered a ONE-WAY deal; that implies to me that he HAS offered Trenin a contract, but at least one year of it is two-way. Which I'm fine with. Trenin isn't some 18-year-old phenom that's about to set the league on fire. He's a guy who seems like he might be a decent bottom-six player who hasn't managed to get into the NHL full-time yet. Yeah I'd like to see him on the team. I'd love it if he turned out to be a good middle-six guy who could pot 20 goals. But I certainly haven't seen that from him.
Might as well give him a one way deal, it's looking possible that the AHL might not even play.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I know that Trenin can score 20 goals in the NHL. He just needs to get a whole season of NHL experience and not spend all of it playing on the fourth line. In his second full NHL season he will hit 12 to 15 goals. In the third full season it will be 20 goals. After that, it depends on him and the Preds as to what can happen. He won't score 50 goals, but he might make it to 25 or 30 goals. That is a lot better than some of the slugs playing forward for the Preds right now.

Granlund is on his way down with 69 (26 G), 67 (21 G), 34 (16) and 30 (17) points over the last four seasons. He is 5'10" and 185 pounds and 28 years old versus Trenin at 6'2" and 200 pounds and 23 years old. Trenin can and will hit people. He is unique among Russian players in the AHL in my 20 years of experience as a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad