Prospect Info: Yakov Trenin

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
How has Trenin been handled badly by the organization? He's been developing in the AHL quite nicely and outgrew the league only this season and he got called up and played 20+ games.

I'd say we've been developing him patiently and just as his potential was starting to materialize he might be gone.. but that being said, it's pure speculation at this point. I'm sure Poile will offer him a good, one-way deal and then it's up to to the player.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How has Trenin been handled badly by the organization? He's been developing in the AHL quite nicely and outgrew the league only this season and he got called up and played 20+ games.

I'd say we've been developing him patiently and just as his potential was starting to materialize he might be gone.. but that being said, it's pure speculation at this point. I'm sure Poile will offer him a good, one-way deal and then it's up to to the player.
I think you'd have to ask Trenin that first question. You can google "Trenin back to KHL"... there was legitimate thought that he'd go back after his first AHL season when maybe he thought he should have had a larger role as a rookie pro. I don't watch Milwaukee so I don't know how justifiable that might have been. But there was some smoke there. Fast forward a couple years, I think it's entirely justifiable to state that he should have been a regular in our lineup basically from the moment we recalled him. To me, he showed he was ready. He got some chances, true. But if I think he might have deserved more, maybe he felt that way too? :dunno:

Anyway, it's not any unusual path for an NHL prospect. Erring on the side of patience and conservatism. That's usually the NHL norm. But if you take that and couple it with a player who maybe had one foot out the door already... :dunno:

But that's of course just some melodramatic speculation... who knows really what he thinks. Just saying, it's... "not implausible" to me.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Good thing Poile and co. should get clearance on this issue in a few days considering the KHL is starting in a week.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Not necessarily handled badly there's just been no real opportunity for our prospects to get a shot on the big club for several years running though. Who was the last forward that came up from the Ads into a regular roster spot? Sissons/Gaudreau/Salomaki maybe? That was like 3-4 seasons ago. Trenin and Blackwell both got some play this season, but not a sniff when it mattered. That should change with some of the upcoming departures, but if I'm Trenin there's been no overwhelming commitment on Nashville's part that would make me feel obligated to stay here.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Someone more well versed in the CBA correct me if I'm wrong but with Trenin's current situation if he plays two seasons in Russia wouldn't he become a Group 6 UFA? If so, that is some pretty good leverage to have over us in my opinion.

I'd also speculate based on the Grimaldi negotiations last offseason that we're going for a pretty lowball two way deal. If I'm Trenin and can get something near league minimum in the KHL who is basically guaranteed to play their season versus the NHL where it is up in the air I'd seriously look at the KHL option too.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Thinking more on this, us fans are pretty much in agreement that Trenin earned a roster spot. But he didn't dress for any playoff games, and that was after initially being listed as "Unfit to play".

Did we ever get clarification on what the issue was? Did it simply have to do with travel quarantine, injury or conditioning?

Because there may be more to the story and losing him to the KHL might not be a huge loss in hindsight when the full story comes out.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Thinking more on this, us fans are pretty much in agreement that Trenin earned a roster spot. But he didn't dress for any playoff games, and that was after initially being listed as "Unfit to play".

Did we ever get clarification on what the issue was? Did it simply have to do with travel quarantine, injury or conditioning?

Because there may be more to the story and losing him to the KHL might not be a huge loss in hindsight when the full story comes out.
I see where you're going, but my answer to your question about who played in this year's "playoffs" is Hynes. Probably as simple as that.

Reactions: Enoch

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We definitely won't have to worry about Seattle taking him in the Expansion Draft if he goes to the KHL, anyway. :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The treated badly thing goes back to memories of what we were hearing out of Milwaukee fans. Essentially the coach barely played him, despite the fact he was better than players he was sitting for. When he did get to play it was often commented that he was misused. If I'm remembering correctly most of them were pretty shocked he didn't bail then.

Fast forward to this year and he finally got a chance, and frankly looked better than the guys he was sitting for. I suspect Hynes choice on players mainly erred on the side of playoff experience. We saw how that went.

I'm gonna guess Trenin wants two things, money and an assurance of playing time. The million dollar question is what can he make in Russia vs here and what kind of playing time can he get.

The other may be his initial feelings about Hynes, and based on the playoffs that leaves me concerned.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think they should've played Trenin and Blackwood in the playoffs. I think they both earned it. They both play hard and are hard to play against. While they don't score a ton, neither did much of our bottom six. At least they'd hit someone with the puck.

Remember, anyone that can punch Chara and buckle his knees is ok in my book.

If I'm a new coach taking over midseason and things weren't working for the team, I'd probably switch things up. About the only thing he did was put JOFA back together full time and swapped out Granlund and Turris to play the second PK. Come in and shake things up. It's not like it was going to hurt anything.

If Trenin goes overseas we only have ourselves to blame. You shouldn't lose big-bodied forwards for nothing. They take a little longer to develop but once they do, you can have a real gem of a player and I think Trenin was on that precipice.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
With our cap situation it seems like Trenin would have a very good chance of making the big club next season.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
With our cap situation it seems like Trenin would have a very good chance of making the big club next season.
If Poile said something like that... well it would be no wonder if Trenin left.

Because he really should be considered an absolute lock, not just as having a "very good chance".

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Poile said something like that... well it would be no wonder if Trenin left.

Because he really should be considered an absolute lock, not just as having a "very good chance".
Yep and my guess is if Poile is unwilling to give him that guarantee and give him more than a 1 year contract then he will be in Russia.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
As frustrated as I am that we may lose Trenin I find it hilarious that his agent is tagging the Preds twitter in this post. Seems very clear to me that he is amping up the messaging that Trenin will leave. He should really tag @PREDSident too. Without any insight into what Trenin is asking it's hard to pick a side on whether we should just pay him or not. We could be lowballing him or he could be asking for much more than he's worth. I guess we will see what happens.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The thing that most makes me think it's a negotiation tactic is that this agent's tweets are all in Russian other than the ones like this "Client could sign with KHL team..." makes me think that he wants to be sure that the NHL GM has no problem understanding. But that's really all I have there, could be reading too much into it.

That and the KHL already having started without Trenin signed. If this were really his Plan A he'd probably be wearing that jersey on the ice instead of holding it up on a track.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Doesn't shock me given that the arbitration ask for Grimaldi was a two-way deal. I can kind of see how you could argue that he'll have every opportunity to earn his spot and if he's good enough he'll get the NHL money, but it seems silly to me to be willing to risk losing one of our few prospects who has shown he is NHL ready over a few hundred thousand. Although who knows maybe the owners are trying to save money anywhere they can as I'm sure they are hurting with having to pay out the huge bonuses to Josi and Duchene with much lower revenues.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Doesn't shock me given that the arbitration ask for Grimaldi was a two-way deal. I can kind of see how you could argue that he'll have every opportunity to earn his spot and if he's good enough he'll get the NHL money, but it seems silly to me to be willing to risk losing one of our few prospects who has shown he is NHL ready over a few hundred thousand. Although who knows maybe the owners are trying to save money anywhere they can as I'm sure they are hurting with having to pay out the huge bonuses to Josi and Duchene with much lower revenues.
You save money by the fact you are paying him no more than 1 million a season as opposed to paying a guy like Smith 4-5 million.

We've had a hard enough time with Russians, you don't make it worse by cheaping out and offering him a 2 way deal. I don't blame him or his agent for going to the KHL if that is all that Poile is offering.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
A 2-way deal only pays less if he doesn't make the team and goes to the AHL. If he wants a 1-way deal, he'll need to take a lower amount at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->