Prospect Info: Yakov Trenin

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
What do you guys think we can expect from him in the future? I see he upped his goal total from 18 to 26 in the Q this season from last.

The kid has great size at 6'2" and 200 pounds and from scouting reports I have heard he can skate very well, is a talented offensive producer and has an edge to his game. He is a forward in our organization I am very excited about, we are not exactly stocked at top 6 forward prospects outside of Trenin, Kamenev and Fiala.

Does Trenin play in the AHL next season? Any thoughts on his upside?

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Well he recently broke his leg in a bicycling accident so he's gonna miss at least 4 months.

But this kid is gonna be good. I think he or kamenev will make a transition to the wing with the other filling the center position. They're both top 6 and I see them being pretty solid NHL players once they come to fruition.

I like trenin's game.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
This seems like a pretty big injury. I would call this year a complete wash. How do you even rehab with the right leg strength in this situation? Next year will be huge for him to rebound over the off-season in the proper training environment.

You have to hate seeing a player lose any significant playing time during this stage of their career.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
This seems like a pretty big injury. I would call this year a complete wash. How do you even rehab with the right leg strength in this situation? Next year will be huge for him to rebound over the off-season in the proper training environment.

You have to hate seeing a player lose any significant playing time during this stage of their career.

For one, he is supposed to rehab in Nashville with the training staff. How is this any different than when Stamkos broke his leg?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

was there info anywhere as to whether it was femur, tibia, fibula, or tib-fib, and if it required surgery, was it done in Russia(hope not) or somewhere else?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
For one, he is supposed to rehab in Nashville with the training staff. How is this any different than when Stamkos broke his leg?

His age, not being a superstar in his prime would certainly be different. I'm not ringing the bell of doom. I am saying this is a setback which could mess up a year of progress at a critical juncture. I also did not know that about the rehab. This is very helpful.

was there info anywhere as to whether it was femur, tibia, fibula, or tib-fib, and if it required surgery, was it done in Russia(hope not) or somewhere else?

Excellent question V. I do not know the answer. Obviously that is a huge deal when talking about recovery, long term complications or pain, etc (as you well know).

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Trenin is probably our best forward prospect outside of fiala and kamenev. I really hope he recuperates well from this injury. The kid has loads of potential and is just starting the scrape the tip of the iceberg I think.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN

it happened in Russia - they say 4 months is his recovery time right now. Based on that, I'm gonna guess it wasn't anything super severe, but I still have not been able to dig up what part of the leg it was.

From the Nashville Post:

Yakov Trenin, the Nashville Predators’ top pick in the 2015 NHL draft, will miss this week’s prospects camp and most – or all – of training camp due to a broken leg he sustained during an accident back home in Russia.

According to general manager David Poile, the 19-year-old center was biking with friends when he was forced off the trail and into a tree.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Well that's good news. I think trenin has a ton of potential and this kid could really be something for us one day. He is only 19 years old remember and has great size, speed, shot and isn't afraid of the dirty stuff.
Really like his game, big thank you to thecloser for that update!

Will he be in Milwaukee then this season??

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
Well that's good news. I think trenin has a ton of potential and this kid could really be something for us one day. He is only 19 years old remember and has great size, speed, shot and isn't afraid of the dirty stuff.
Really like his game, big thank you to thecloser for that update!

Will he be in Milwaukee then this season??

No he will not be in Milwaukee. Due to being in juniors, he missed the age cutoff by like 13 days.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I would guess this is him trying to get some leverage on his contract negotiations, but who knows maybe he just wants to go play in Russia. Would be a real bummer if we lost him.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Go home, play for a perennial contender and get a spot on the national team? Why wouldn't he do that?

Sucks for the Preds if true, Trenin was one of the few bright spots on the team last year. But from a personal standpoint, it makes sense for him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have been worried about Trenin, because he's kind of gotten the short end of the stick from the organization at a couple points now. He made a little noise about it in his first year in Milwaukee, iirc, and I would not blame him for being upset that he didn't get a little more time this year. He was better than some players in our lineup.

I would have liked to see them sign him first, and then loan him out to the KHL during the interregnum. If he goes there un-signed, we might not get him back.

He still doesn't have huge leverage for a contract. But I think he deserves a 1-way NHL deal at the very least. I don't see how the Preds could fail to offer him that. But I also don't see that he has leverage to ask for much more than a league minimum salary on that 1-way deal. :dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He has all the leverage he needs. Either give me a decent contract or I play elsewhere. That's some pretty dang good leverage.
He doesn't have leverage for bigger $$$ that's what I mean. Nobody in the NHL is going to pay $1M+ for 21 games of experience with 2 goals. That's just not how NHL contracts work. So he has leverage to get a 1-way deal, yes. But not leverage to get any larger salary along with that. If for some reason he wants both, there is no NHL team or GM who would ever give him that, and he's a lost cause already. That's not leverage, that's just not accepting how the system works, and there's nothing we can do about that, if that was the case. (I doubt it is).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He doesn't have leverage for bigger $$$ that's what I mean. Nobody in the NHL is going to pay $1M+ for 21 games of experience with 2 goals. That's just not how NHL contracts work. So he has leverage to get a 1-way deal, yes. But not leverage to get any larger salary along with that. If for some reason he wants both, there is no NHL team or GM who would ever give him that, and he's a lost cause already. That's not leverage, that's just not accepting how the system works, and there's nothing we can do about that, if that was the case. (I doubt it is).
I'm almost willing to bet that if he does play here it will be above the league minimum. Yes no other GM may give him that, but no other GM has any time or resources invested in him either.

Poile probably has one choice, either pay him enough to get him here or he won't be playing here. His leverage is from an owner in another league that will pay him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm almost willing to bet that if he does play here it will be above the league minimum. Yes no other GM may give him that, but no other GM has any time or resources invested in him either.

Poile probably has one choice, either pay him enough to get him here or he won't be playing here. His leverage is from an owner in another league that will pay him.
If a player reaches that stage, he's gone. Poile won't pay him something he hasn't remotely earned at the NHL level. And I'd support him in that. If the KHL will pay him more than $750,000, and that's all he's interested in, then you might as well write him off right now. Sooner or later somebody with that mindset is a goner anyway.

Of course, this is all just purely hypothetical... I still doubt very much that it comes down to the $$$ in this case.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If a player reaches that stage, he's gone. Poile won't pay him something he hasn't remotely earned at the NHL level. And I'd support him in that. If the KHL will pay him more than $750,000, and that's all he's interested in, then you might as well write him off right now. Sooner or later somebody with that mindset is a goner anyway.

Of course, this is all just purely hypothetical... I still doubt very much that it comes down to the $$$ in this case.
Considering the way he has been handled over the years it wouldn't surprise me at all if it doesn't come down to money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->