Yahoo vs ESPN

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Hi,

Looking for opinions on pros/cons of Yahoo vs ESPN. Have used ESPN for last handful of years (keeper and non-keeper hockey pools). Finding that ESPN appears to get worse each year. The changes they make always seems to make league managers less empowered too.

Also, anyone know when both open up fantasy hockey season? Always seems vague (late summer-ish) with no exact date... would be nice to have the option to have keeper leagues run seamless from one year to next without months of lag-time. Another big frustration!

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Hi,

Looking for opinions on pros/cons of Yahoo vs ESPN. Have used ESPN for last handful of years (keeper and non-keeper hockey pools). Finding that ESPN appears to get worse each year. The changes they make always seems to make league managers less empowered too.

Also, anyone know when both open up fantasy hockey season? Always seems vague (late summer-ish) with no exact date... would be nice to have the option to have keeper leagues run seamless from one year to next without months of lag-time. Another big frustration!
I agree with GermanDangler29 that Fantrax is better than both.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Ya if you want a league that is open year round Fantrax is the only option and its updated now so it looks and runs really good on mobile.

Also has way more commissioner options to customize a league to your liking. Yahoo is good its just a very basic setup.

I would easily choose Fantrax over Yahoo if I was starting a new league.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I am trying to move one of my leagues from Yahoo to Fantrax, but one of the managers states he'll quit if we move. When I ask him what exactly he hates about Fantrax, he doesn't really give any details...

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I am trying to move one of my leagues from Yahoo to Fantrax, but one of the managers states he'll quit if we move. When I ask him what exactly he hates about Fantrax, he doesn't really give any details...
Again, I agree with the GermanDangler. One more point, if he does quit, I think you will find it easier to replace him if you are on Fantrax instead of Yahoo.

Reactions: Pasha71

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Been on ESPN for the last 8 seasons, before that Yahoo. Moved back then because ESPN offered more qualitaty in their draft engine. However, since ESPN f***ed everything up last year, is it worth moving back to Yahoo? I know everyone above said Fantrax, that's not an option as of today unfortunately.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Been on ESPN for the last 8 seasons, before that Yahoo. Moved back then because ESPN offered more qualitaty in their draft engine. However, since ESPN ****ed everything up last year, is it worth moving back to Yahoo? I know everyone above said Fantrax, that's not an option as of today unfortunately.
I was on ESPN for only a short amount of time and didn't like it, but I can't really judge because my experience is limited. I'm not sure why you can't migrate to Fantrax, but I still think Yahoo is a good platform. I have an Auction Keeper league that works well on it. I play a few single season leagues there as well.

If you are doing a Dynasty though, I think you should go to Fantrax regardless of whatever painful steps you have to go through to make it happen.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I was on ESPN for only a short amount of time and didn't like it, but I can't really judge because my experience is limited. I'm not sure why you can't migrate to Fantrax, but I still think Yahoo is a good platform. I have an Auction Keeper league that works well on it. I play a few single season leagues there as well.

If you are doing a Dynasty though, I think you should go to Fantrax regardless of whatever painful steps you have to go through to make it happen.

The reason is a bunch of stubborn league members who’s never seen anything else than ESPN and Yahoo. I just signed up for Fantrax just to try and will after that try to convince them. Couldn’t get the positions correct though. It gives med F, D, and G. I want C, LW etc. Is that possible?

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
I only played one season on FanTrax and this was 3 years ago. Not sure if it has improved since then. The app was crummy at the time.

I dont bother with ESPN leagues, I've also been in a few 3 or 4 years back and refuse to join them now.

Yahoo has a great app and its updated regularly. My only gripe with Yahoo is there sometimes late to adjust positions. I've been strictly a yahoo pool player the last few years.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
The reason is a bunch of stubborn league members who’s never seen anything else than ESPN and Yahoo. I just signed up for Fantrax just to try and will after that try to convince them. Couldn’t get the positions correct though. It gives med F, D, and G. I want C, LW etc. Is that possible?

Go to commisioner tab, league setup ... Then go to the Rosters tab under the options then it gives you the option to add a bunch of different types of positions depending on your league scoring. Then just hit add. It takes some time to get used to all the options but as a commisioner it makes things easier to fine tune your league to how exactly you want it.

Reactions: Digable5

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
I only played one season on FanTrax and this was 3 years ago. Not sure if it has improved since then. The app was crummy at the time.

I dont bother with ESPN leagues, I've also been in a few 3 or 4 years back and refuse to join them now.

Yahoo has a great app and its updated regularly. My only gripe with Yahoo is there sometimes late to adjust positions. I've been strictly a yahoo pool player the last few years.

Fantrax was updated over the past two years and looks nothing like the outdated version you probably tried both on PC and phone. They don't have an official app but you can create a shortcut icon on your phone (they tell you how to do it) and the site runs exactly like an app would with the way they programmed it. It's as smooth of an 'App' as you can get and its basically like using the site on your comp. Yahoo app is good too , but I find it confusing at times if you want to trade or do anything other than edit rosters or check matchups although I don't really use the app so thats probably why lol.

Reactions: Digable5

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Yahoo is the only site I've used for hockey. I've used ESPN for football and hated it. One draw to Yahoo is if you're playing in a league with a cap on games per position, the tracker used is not viewable on the app. Learned that the hard way.

Logged in today and saw nothing indicating when Yahoo opens shop for hockey.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Yahoo is good and reliable, but Fantrax seems to have many features I can only wish Yahoo had.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Yahoo Fantasy Hockey registration starts as soon as August 15th, and the draft is open as soon as the 19th !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad