Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Reactions: Legionnaire

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How does Doug Wilson rank ahead when everything listed about him is negative? Holland at 13 after he gave up assets to get Athanasiou and lost him for nothing, and Armstrong just lost his #1 defenseman and replaced him with Krug, who is no Pietrangelo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4reals

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Well even though the prospect pool build has been extremely impressive, it’s still an unknown. So until these guys start making their mark in the nhl and producing, it is fair to say GM wise it’s still TBD. Ultimately it’s about wins/losses for the big team. We still suck in that case. But 2-5 years from now this could/should drastically change.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
So they rank Blake at 16 even after mentioning he inherited a mess,and also point out that he's amassed potentially great young talent. Sounds like some East Coast bias, or something similar going on here......
I will agree that he could be above a few other GMs on that list, remember that this is a team that finished 4th to last

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Building the farm and a prospect list is the easy part.

Developing the prospects and making trades to move from being a playoff team into contention is where the degree of difficulty increases significantly.

Kind of agree but I'd also add that Blake managed salaries/cap masterfully to put us in a GREAT position right now and even after misassessing the roster in his first time in office. He doesn't subscribe at all to sunk cost fallacy. He's done what he's done in a shorter timeframe due to that first mistaken year.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I've been following this team since 1986. Blake is, by far, the luckiest GM we've had in that span. Unfortunately, luck doesn't equate to "good".

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kind of agree but I'd also add that Blake managed salaries/cap masterfully to put us in a GREAT position right now and even after misassessing the roster in his first time in office. He doesn't subscribe at all to sunk cost fallacy. He's done what he's done in a shorter timeframe due to that first mistaken year.
I tend to agree. Up to this point in his tenure Blake appears to be ahead of where Dean was going into 2009.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
How does Doug Wilson rank ahead when everything listed about him is negative? Holland at 13 after he gave up assets to get Athanasiou and lost him for nothing, and Armstrong just lost his #1 defenseman and replaced him with Krug, who is no Pietrangelo.

They explained that in the article, it's based on career acheivements, not just recent. It was stated that a few years ago, he'd be top 5 but he's dropped due to questionable decisions.
Same reason Blake isn't higher, not enough track record yet.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Then why are so few teams able to do it?

You have to accept that you have no choice but to do so. Most teams are in a state of transition, up or down to varying degrees, but few have had as poor a run as the Kings have recently, so its their turn to be on the rise.

Its pretty good for Blake to be in the middle of the pack, seeing as he has yet to win a playoff game and made some pretty big errors in judgement over his first two years. Everything since has been sound decision making, and he has done well doing what he had no choice but doing with the organization. Give him a couple of years before we can expect him to be praised.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
It's one thing to put the team in a position to succeed. It's another to actually do it.

Blake has put the kings in a very good position to succeed. The on ice results now need to happen. I am good with Blake at #16 for putting the kings in that position to succeed. To go higher, it would require results.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
It's one thing to put the team in a position to succeed. It's another to actually do it.

Maybe I flunked my logic course, but those two sentences don't make any sense to me. In fact, it's sounding like something Yogi Berra would have said, i.e., "when you come to a fork in the road, take it".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad