(Yahoo) How Ovechkin's oldest trick remains so hard to defend

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Osprey, Nov 3, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

I just read a pretty good analysis over at Yahoo and thought that others might find it as interesting as I did.

Yahoo - How Ovechkin's oldest trick remains so hard to defend

The writer watched all of the Caps' powerplays this season and took a load of GIFs to show exactly why Ovechkin is so successful on the powerplay. Of course, it's nothing new and may not be very illuminating to Eastern viewers who see him a lot, but I found it interesting as a Western viewer who doesn't watch the Caps enough. The writer does a good job of breaking down Ovechkin's success for folks like me. I found it particularly interesting how he points out that the Caps predominantly enter the offensive zone on the right side of the ice, allowing Ovechkin to drift in on the left with no one around him.

I also found the following two clips particularly amusing:

[​IMG]

If you don't see Ovechkin at first, it's because you might've mistaken him for a linesman or fan in an Ovechkin jersey, watching the game behind the glass. He's just standing absolutely still on the blue line by the boards, watching his teammates on the other side of the ice.

[​IMG]

Most wingers in his position would be moving around, trying to get open for the opposite winger to thread a perfect pass across the slot to him. Ovechkin isn't the least bit interested in that. Instead, he wants the puck to go to the blue line to Carlson so that Carlson can feed him the puck.

Before, I might've interpreted both clips as Ovechkin being lazy, but I'm starting to see that it might just be his way of not drawing attention to himself. Some superstars happily draw attention to themselves so that their teammates can be open to make plays, but Ovechkin seems to prefer it the other way around.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Zaddy, Anisimovs AK, Zuluss and 16 others like this.
  2. Tmu84

Tmu84 - Tmuussoni

So, Yahoo is capable to write a good sports article after all. Call me surprised.

3. Se829ne

Se829ne Spotter for Jets' cannon #29

Half-time undertaker
    Interesting.

There is at least one copy-cat player replicating or trying to replicate that trick, often called "one-trick pony". His trick isn't yet fully developed to OV-level routine, he being accused for exactly same thing OV is praised now: not moving enough in his office. The copy-cat's yet developing trick is also performed from slightly bigger office space, while average distance of his tricks seems to be too slightly higher than his immediate forerunner's and Idol's trick, but because of too small sample this cannot be statistically confirmed - you have only your eye test.

However, this article gives some glimpses of hope to us who want see how the new patch 1.1 or 2.0 will be uploaded to the game. This far similar difficulties have been existed to goalies with this younger trickster/trickster-lite version than it seems is common, objectively know fact with the original alpha 1.0 version.

Riseonfire likes this.
  4. Spirit of 67

Spirit of 67 Registered User

It's no secret. Great goal scorers get open.
    Then bury.

Cheapshot likes this.
  5. HR Pickens

HR Pickens Registered User

The trick should only work on the PP though because you can't just shadow the player and effectively turn a 5 on 4 PP into an even worse 4 on 3 situation. The thing is, he seems to be able to do it at will 5 on 4 as well which should be way easier to defend against.

And of course, people shoot from the top of the circle all the time and have nowhere near his shooting percentage from that spot. Ovenchicken is a phenomenon.

SaskCanesFan likes this.
  6. HR Pickens

HR Pickens Registered User

Ummm...did you watch Ovechkin in his early years? If you think he stood still then I'm going assume that's a definite no. The guy was spectacular and all over the ice. It's only after a few years in when he settled into his office space. The other one-trick pony has lots to learn and prove before he should be given thta kind of leash (IMO).

7. Se829ne

Half-time undertaker
    No, I didn't think that OV just dropped to his PP-Desk and have stood there ever since without any kind development. And, no I didn't systematically watch his early seasons in NHL, but I've watched his goal scoring Highlight reels many many times.

Tho I'm not entirely sure about shooting % split of the young pony from his office, I think you sell him little bit too short now in OV comparison, considering his S% over whole career is better than OV's, and the trick or variations of it being his Modus Operandi in PPs.

Tricks 2016-17

Tricks 2017-18

5 out of 7 Tricks of season 2018-19 can be considered related.

Anyway, interesting, good read that article.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Scheifelaine likes this.
  8. Boud

Boud Registered User

That PP is way too deadly... If you don't move to close the passing lane to Ovie then you have the two best passers in the games in Backstrom and Kuznetsov and they will find him. Then if they move it back Carlson can also wire it from the point so you need to cover him as well....

There are so many options on that PP that it's almost impossible to defend. Oshie is a great passer and shooter as well so you need to respect him...

They just need to move the puck once on the right side to Kuz/Backstrom and then back to the left to Carlsson/Ovie and it's in the net.

gtrower and Sentinel like this.
  9. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

Ovechkin was all over the ice in the playoffs. He stays in the office when he needs to. He can do other things too in other situations.

10. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

The caps PP movement lives and dies with Backstrom I've never seen a player get so respected on the half wall. Ovechkin's shot is the amazing but don't underrate the guys who get it to him.

11. Sacul

Sacul Registered User

That was a great read. I would love to see more analysis with that level of detail on other players or teams.

12. Paulinvancouver

Paulinvancouver Custom Title:

WOW!

You don't hear that every day... (or ever!) Yahoo and good in the same sentence. Haven't they rolled over and died yet?

13. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Not looking over my shoulder

The article is actually making the point that Ovechkin makes little effort to get open.

He hangs out around the same spot every time. But the deadliness of his shot from farther out than most players, and the work of his teammates allows it to still be successful.

Helistin likes this.
  14. Khomutov

Khomutov Registered User

The Ovi Spot on the PP is only a thing since the 2013 season, when Oates took over.

15. Devil Dancer

Devil Dancer Registered User Sponsor

Good insight on Oshie's role running interference.

kicksavedave and RiskyBryzness21 like this.
  16. ozzie

ozzie Registered User

Honestly, every time he winds up and scores from the same spot, I am amazed. I mean, don't Goalies expect it? don't teams? it just keeps working over and over. It's beyond ridiculous that it keeps working so well. Sometime's he doesn't get all of the puck even, still works!

It's a bit of a freak show to be honest. Almost uncanny. That he and his teammates, keep making fools of the opposition, fun to watch.

17. Oddbob

Oddbob Registered User

It only works, because his PP line mates bust their tales off, trying to keep things going, while he selfishly and lazily just sits there waiting to take the glory! I liked him much better his first 4 or 5 years, when he worked hard a lot of the time, but his PP work ethic is actually sickening. Like you can't move around and help out a little, he just sits there and basically doesn't move. Not taking away that he has a great shot, he absolutely does, just bugs me that he just watches his teammates do a tonne of work.

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User Sponsor

Ovechkin does exactly what the coaches tell him to do.

19. shtorm2005

shtorm2005 Registered User

Same as Oshie in the middle. And he'is the last guy on the team you can call lazy. Maybe it has to do something with the fact that playmakers should make plays and goalscorers to focus on the shot?

Anisimovs AK, Scheifelaine and Drakon like this.
  20. Se829ne

Half-time undertaker
    User @moropanov wrote about things related to what you say there: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/151660787/ in the OV vs Laine poll-thread 'Who's better powerplay player?'

Full Quote:

"Ovechkin i dont think that he is even very good powerplay player yea he gets those goals he has good shot, but not amazing level like whats Laine's shot has been seen now for example. Ovechkin gets set up by elite playmakers and shoots randomly hard shots to net and some go in difference is shot attempts that he is allowed to take and i say teams allow those shots they will not let Laine shoot those nearly as much they accept Ovechkins shots because they know its better to let him shoot from point than let Bäckström Kuznetsov Oshie Carlsson play 4v3. With Laine that would be suicideous he will score quickly if given free shot lines. Teams could quite easily eliminate Ovechkins scoring on powerplays if they chose to do so but they know then those skilled other players would score more 4v3. I think Ovechkins big goal statistics tell more about stragedy of Washington especially on powerplay but also 5v5 his stats get boosted because others try to set up him more than necessary its star cult think.. If given no priviledges he would have to defend like others play powerplay only half of it shorter shifts more intensively no team mates trying to set him up more than average his goal and point totals would drop clearly. He is good shooter but not nearly as great as hyped even in Russian national team he has some special treatment, but there not so much as in Washington and his stats are mediocre in national team in IIHF world championships many players who play in Europe have showed better play/even stats than him. Guys like Petri Kontiola or Mathias Olimb Lauris Darzins Linus Omark seem to get as good/better results than him at wch atlest for last 10 years its been so.."

___
    I post that here because it's thread relevant, my perception goes at least partially along the same lanes, and because everything what OV may or may not do tends to be to some degree sacrilegious to be criticized.

Btw, I love OV, the current 8th Dan Grand Master of Goal Scoring almost as much as I love his most dedicated apprentice Patrik Laine.

21. shtorm2005

shtorm2005 Registered User

Also everyone tries to pass Backstrom or Kuzy instead to wingers, why? It's a star cult I say.

22. Khomutov

Khomutov Registered User

He is also playing the whole 2 minutes on the PP. The others are not. Saving some energy for the shots he's taking.:sarcasm:

23. cupface52

cupface52 Registered User

Ovechkin does something on the powerplay no else does, he turns a 5on4 into a 4on3, and with the caps 4on3 skill, that's invaluable. Eventually though, his shadow forgets about him, rest is history.

Why is Laine always brought up in Ovechkin threads? The only thing in common between the two players is an elite shot, nothing else. Compare Laine's playing style to Brett Hull.

24. JeremyTB

JeremyTB Registered User

This is why Ovi plays the full 2 minutes of the PP because he doesn't use alot of energy, not much movement.

25. Carlzner

Carlzner Registered User

Does it make you angry inside knowing that Laine will never come close to the player that peak Ovechkin was?