Ya or nay to a $500,000 Kovalev ?

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Habaneros, first of all--good thread! I'm not sure why a lot of posters dump on this thread topic. Maybe they're too busy discovering a cure for cancer to have time for such frivolities. Personally, I'm not quite so busy.

As for Kovalev, my initial reaction was similar to many of the posts above. He's done. Past his due date. Not a team first guy. What I don't buy--either then or now--is that Kovy is a bad team mate, a cancer in the locker room. He has always struck me as an articulate, sincere intelligent interview. Humble, available, gives back to the community.

And lest it go unstated, Kovalev was probably the single most talented and entertaining player to don a Habs' jersey since Guy Lafleur. I guess an argument can be made for Mats Naslund, maybe Saku. But in terms of jaw-dropping, I-can't-believe-my-eyes talent, Kovalev stands alone.

He also scored some very big goals for us. And carried the team on his back in a era when nobody else was stepping up to shoulder some of the load.

Too add a player of his stature at a minimum salary for a thirty game period to help out on the PP and shoot-outs and to be available when injuries start to accumulate is not that stupid. Who knows, he can even be Galchenyuk's personal stick-handling coach. (I can't think of too many other people on the face of the earth who can offer tips to the kid in this regard.)

The much talked about depth that is suddenly the Habs' strong suit is paper thin at the forward position. Beyond the still injured and not so inspiring Petteri Nokelainen, we have Yannick Weber as a fill-in. That's right, the hard-suffering defenceman who's amassed about 15 seconds of ice time this season. I do like Gabriel Dumont but at this point in his career, I'm not sure he's the guy to keep around for spot duty on the big club. And he's the high-water mark on the Bulldogs--there's not much else worth talking about. Maybe next year.

Which brings us back to Kovalev. Nobody is asking him to be a top 6 forward. Maybe he'll be in the press box more nights than not. But for chump change, and for the two months that are left in the season, it's certainly worth considering.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
You think Kovalev has anything left in the tank ? He had nothing left when he left the habs.

Probably not.

But he has always been a superbly conditioned athlete and he started the season like a house on fire. If he's willing to take on the role of the extra guy on the roster at a minimum salary--and the many nights in the press box that goes with it--I would give him a look. If he was sincere in his desire to end his career with the Habs, he may agree to these terms.

As I've already said, forward depth is a big problem with the Habs and the cavalry (the likes of Collberg, Hudon, Kristo) is not gonna make it this season.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Let's look at the factors.

He's a notorious floater.

Our PP is currently 11th in the league, I doubt he could help it since he doesn't produce much on the powerplay anymore.

Our team identity revolves around hard work, something Kovalev has never believed in, because he relied on his high skill level.

His skill level can no longer compensate for his lack of effort.

He had a major knee surgery and has been pretty slow (slower than usual) on the ice. He's been a liability in most games I have seen him.

He's a healthy scratch on a bottom club. We are 1st in the East.

No one picks up a player ONLY to play the power play, and the shootouts, that's video game stuff. To be on our team, you need to take a regular shift here and there. Kovalev is usually a liability on the ice, so taking a regular shift would be risky for our team.

We seem to have a very strong locker room chemistry. Why bother bringing in someone that might risk the chemistry, just to play the PP (which again, is 11th in the league...ahead of Chicago FWIW... It doesn't necessarily need fixing, and it certainly doesn't need a ringer that is well past his prime and not producing)

Galchenyuk is due for more ice time, especially on the powerplay. He has insane hands, and is part of our future. We should give him more ice time instead of a 40 year old that isn't producing.

If not Galchenyuk, Eller, if not Eller, Gallagher, etc etc.

It's great that he wants to be in Montreal, or said so a couple years ago, but that should be completely irrelevant when discussing him returning.

We have a new team now. We focus on hard work and giving 100% every shift. These are two things that Kovalev is not known for.

Was he skilled? Yes. Did he play well here many moons ago? Yes.

Can he contribute on a regular basis (even minimal minutes) and help our powerplay? Doubt it.

It would be a waste of a roster spot, a risky move that may upset our locker room chemistry and would be a slap in the face of our younger players hoping for a call up. You know, those younger players that have produced 100% for years now, hoping for some ice time. They are the ones we should reward with ice time, and power play time. Not the 40 year old that's a scratch on a bottom team.

We don't need Kovalev. I doubt Bergevin wants Kovalev. He can't give us much in terms of positive contributions, and he's a liability on the ice as is evidenced by his last few years in the league.

For the millionth time, NO to Kovalev.

That ship has sailed. The train has left the station. The bus is already full. The airplane has reached max weight. The wooden raft is already too far down stream. The pogo stick has bounced away. The hand glider has jumped off the cliff. The donkey has left Cordoba. The elephants have died in the Alps. The ice float has left the bay. The...well, you get my point.

TimeToMoveOn.jpg

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Probably not.

But he has always been a superbly conditioned athlete and he started the season like a house on fire. If he's willing to take on the role of the extra guy on the roster at a minimum salary--and the many nights in the press box that goes with it--I would give him a look. If he was sincere in his desire to end his career with the Habs, he may agree to these terms.

As I've already said, forward depth is a big problem with the Habs and the cavalry (the likes of Collberg, Hudon, Kristo) is not gonna make it this season.

he's also uncoachable and brings the team spirit down to the ground all by himself by being a big baby...

"didnt score on the first shot? well i'm not skating tonight guys"

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
yes yes yes if he comes with huberdeau
likely NO NO NO need for him

You beat me to the punch. If Florida wants to trade Kovalev and Jonathan Huberdeau for Colby Armstrong and Yannick Weber, fine, otherwise, I'd pass.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Let's look at the factors.

He's a notorious floater.

Our PP is currently 11th in the league, I doubt he could help it since he doesn't produce much on the powerplay anymore.

Our team identity revolves around hard work, something Kovalev has never believed in, because he relied on his high skill level.

His skill level can no longer compensate for his lack of effort.

He had a major knee surgery and has been pretty slow (slower than usual) on the ice. He's been a liability in most games I have seen him.

He's a healthy scratch on a bottom club. We are 1st in the East.

No one picks up a player ONLY to play the power play, and the shootouts, that's video game stuff. To be on our team, you need to take a regular shift here and there. Kovalev is usually a liability on the ice, so taking a regular shift would be risky for our team.

We seem to have a very strong locker room chemistry. Why bother bringing in someone that might risk the chemistry, just to play the PP (which again, is 11th in the league...ahead of Chicago FWIW... It doesn't necessarily need fixing, and it certainly doesn't need a ringer that is well past his prime and not producing)

Galchenyuk is due for more ice time, especially on the powerplay. He has insane hands, and is part of our future. We should give him more ice time instead of a 40 year old that isn't producing.

If not Galchenyuk, Eller, if not Eller, Gallagher, etc etc.

It's great that he wants to be in Montreal, or said so a couple years ago, but that should be completely irrelevant when discussing him returning.

We have a new team now. We focus on hard work and giving 100% every shift. These are two things that Kovalev is not known for.

Was he skilled? Yes. Did he play well here many moons ago? Yes.

Can he contribute on a regular basis (even minimal minutes) and help our powerplay? Doubt it.

It would be a waste of a roster spot, a risky move that may upset our locker room chemistry and would be a slap in the face of our younger players hoping for a call up. You know, those younger players that have produced 100% for years now, hoping for some ice time. They are the ones we should reward with ice time, and power play time. Not the 40 year old that's a scratch on a bottom team.

We don't need Kovalev. I doubt Bergevin wants Kovalev. He can't give us much in terms of positive contributions, and he's a liability on the ice as is evidenced by his last few years in the league.

For the millionth time, NO to Kovalev.

That ship has sailed. The train has left the station. The bus is already full. The airplane has reached max weight. The wooden raft is already too far down stream. The pogo stick has bounced away. The hand glider has jumped off the cliff. The donkey has left Cordoba. The elephants have died in the Alps. The ice float has left the bay. The...well, you get my point.

TimeToMoveOn.jpg

Good post. Strong arguments all around with the possible exception of Kovalev as a slap in the face to the young guys slaving in the minors, dreaming of a call-up.

In a more normal season, this probably would be true as well but this year the cupboard in the minors is really very bare. Dumont is the Bulldog's best young forward and he has already been called as a potential replacement for Prust who--God bless him--is an injury waiting to happen.

Leblanc? Bournival? Uhhh...maybe next year. The sad truth is that after Dumont the best player available is probably Blunden. Enough said.

Admittedly Kovalev is not, and will never again be, the player he once was. But we're talking about 28 games at a pro-rated league minimum. And importantly, there is no requirement that the Habs surrender any piece of their future to acquire. No your prospects. No draft picks.

If there are alternatives out there, bring them on.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Good post. Strong arguments all around with the possible exception of Kovalev as a slap in the face to the young guys slaving in the minors, dreaming of a call-up.

I agree that's perhaps the least poignant point brought forth, but I still stand by it.

I don't necessarily think that Kovalev can provide us with much more than say, Leblanc, who is part of our future (however he did regress a little).

To pick up Kovalev now, and not give someone that's in our future plans a chance to get some ice time is counter productive in my mind.

As for alternatives? I'm not too concerned about that right now. We are sitting at 1st in the league after all, but with Bourque on the IR you may have a legitimate concern in the near future. I just don't see Kovalev as the answer.

Plus I honestly want to keep him away from our kids. I don't think he's a cancer or anything, but his work ethic isn't exactly up to par, and our new identity focuses on just that, good work ethic.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
lol,. yea...\

did you want Therrien back? Boullion? Ryder? yes or no?be honest....I bet you and near eveyone else didn't...

For the record,I wanted Boullion back before we signed him,AND ON RECORD sayin so ..I also said ON RECORD GALLY 27 makes habs this year,said so right after the draft.....i was called crazy.... so you said what about Gally chances making hABS this year after the draft?

I also said PK would do what Drew Doughty did ....late last year on record sayin that...Subban he did hold out right?

Am i right all the time? no , but thank god im not wrong all the time .

You seem to have a rift with reality. You being right or wrong or what you want has literally zero bearing on what the Habs actually do. I'm not sure whether you realise this or not.

As for your personal choices of wo you wanted for this team, they all proved themselves before making it in the Habs. A 40 y.o. Kovalev played himself off a 13th place team and you think he'd be a great fit for the Habs?

While they're at it it, they should sign LaFleur. He was a great player for us, why not being him out of retirement. Bring back Chelios and Robinson and we can shore up our defensman for a cup run, too.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
On the plus side, it would give Galchenyuk an opportunity to switch back to #94. :nod:

Just kidding, the kid looks good with #27.

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
Probably not.

No, he had 3 points his first game and that's it. He has 2 points in 13 games since then, and has been an healthy scratch for 6 games on an horrendous team.

He's completely and utterly done, D-O-N-E.

And I love Kovy.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Probably not.

But he has always been a superbly conditioned athlete and he started the season like a house on fire.

Lol, he got 3 points in one game, which was the first game of the season. He's done nothing for the next 12. Reminds of when people trashed Eller for playing one bad game in the first game of the season and used it to justify that he won't be more than a 4th line player.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
He could always join "Les Anciens Canadiens", that would be right up his alley. Make him feel useful for a change.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If we were .500 the masses would be begging for MB to give Kovy a shot. Amazing how cocky a winning record can turn the old faithful so sour, so fast. I'm not suggesting he would be a fit either, but destroying a former player, and simple suggestion, just because someone suggested a low risk tryout.... is pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad