Xtra radio station in LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was in Eklund's chatroom and someone posted this...

<Guest3944> XTRA in Los Angeles reported earlier that the official cancelation of the season will be announced on Weds.

This has a 99% chance of just being BS. I realize that. However, what exactly is Xtra in LA? By any chance, can someone confirm this?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If a little radio station in LA picks up that the NHL will officially cancel the season on Wednesday, I think Hockey Hubs like Toronto, New York, Detroit and so on, would pick up on it too. Wouldnt worry about that too much.

Crazy Lunatic

If you heard it in Eklunds chat room, there is a 100% chance it is all BS. On the other hand, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the season does get cancelled this week. I just want an end, one way or the other. I barely even care if there is a season now. I guess I'm 51% hoping there will be, but 49% hoping they cancel it so the players suffer some more and the league isn't further embarrased by a ridiculous shortened season.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Scugs said:
If a little radio station in LA....

For the record, most any radio station broadcasting in LA, the second largest media market in the US, is not "a little radio station." Second, XTRA is #1 in the local sports market, and is a 50k watt station. It's not like we're talking about some local college station broadcasting out of MooseJaw! ;)

That said, journalistic integrity is not especially high at that station. In fact, its "reporting" generally is on a par with the "hard news" one gleans off an internet message board.

Last edited:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Trottier said:
For the record, most any radio station broadcasting in LA, the second largest media market in the US, is not "a little radio station." Second, XTRA is #1 in the local sports market, and is a 50k watt station. It's not like we're talking about some local college station broadcasting out of MooseJaw! ;)

That said, journalistic integrity is not especially high at that station. In fact, its "reporting" generally is on a par with the "hard news" one gleans off an internet message board.

Point taken. I guess I should rephrase it to "a non-NHL station"? :joker:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wouldn't take anything XTRA says seriously. They really only have one host who even remotely acknowledges hockey, a guy by the name of Hacksaw. But the guy is seriously 2 days behind. I was listening today, and he read a story "Fresh off the sports wire" which was basically a TSN article from the weekend.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I checked the 'Lets Go Kings' message board and did not see any posts about this...and the LGK board is fairly active....

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Crazy Lunatic said:
If you heard it in Eklunds chat room, there is a 100% chance it is all BS. On the other hand, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the season does get cancelled this week. I just want an end, one way or the other. I barely even care if there is a season now. I guess I'm 51% hoping there will be, but 49% hoping they cancel it so the players suffer some more and the league isn't further embarrased by a ridiculous shortened season.

If you think that canceling the season is less embarassing to the sport than a shorten season, you are sadly mistaken.

B-MEL

Mar 25, 2002
La Habra, CA
Visit site
Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton, is one of the only sports radio guys that talks Hockey. BUT he is an idiot...

He will tape interviews and then come on and say "I have XXXXXX on the line now."

This dude actually said he was speaking live with Dick Enberg, the TV announcer. While in fact at the very same moment, Dick Enberg was a guest host on a rival LA sports station ESPN 710. Dick Enberg said on air, that he had that interview with Hacksaw 2 days ago.

Credability is not Xtra's strong point.

Old Hickory

I was listening to Xtra most of the day yesterday and didn't hear this

cbjrocks

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Travelin Man said:
He will tape interviews and then come on and say "I have XXXXXX on the line now."

Everyone from Jim Rome to ESPN to Fox Sport Radio to a local guy in the Midwest does that. Shows the extent you know how radio works, other than a key must be in the ignition before you can hear something.

B-MEL

Mar 25, 2002
La Habra, CA
Visit site
cbjrocks100700 said:
Everyone from Jim Rome to ESPN to Fox Sport Radio to a local guy in the Midwest does that. Shows the extent you know how radio works, other than a key must be in the ignition before you can hear something.

NO... You Don't understand.. The ass says, "I have them on the line LIVE!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad