Xs and Os question.

Averick*

OK, sorry for not being in the loop with this but I've seen that Roy wants to play fast. I'm trying to understand how to translate this. This, apparently, has implied that the defense should be helped. Simultaneously, it also seems to be suggested that "playing fast" plays to having fast forwards. Can someone elaborate on this or paint a picture as to what it will look like?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Roys system.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
OK, sorry for not being in the loop with this but I've seen that Roy wants to play fast. I'm trying to understand how to translate this. This, apparently, has implied that the defense should be helped. Simultaneously, it also seems to be suggested that "playing fast" plays to having fast forwards. Can someone elaborate on this or paint a picture as to what it will look like?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Roys system.

Seems to remind me of the run and gun Avs ran a few years back. Quick outs and quick transitions. From what little highlights I've seen of the Remparts, it reminds me of what a team looks like down 1 goal with 5 minutes left. More offensive push while moderately controlling the counter attack. A lot less conservative play from the blue liners.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I felt it was high risk high reward hockey. Fast upbeat game, long passes etc. Just from what ive gathered, could be wrong and roy could adapt a totally different strategy for nhl level hockey.

Averick*

Seems to remind me of the run and gun Avs ran a few years back. Quick outs and quick transitions. From what little highlights I've seen of the Remparts, it reminds me of what a team looks like down 1 goal with 5 minutes left. More offensive push while moderately controlling the counter attack. A lot less conservative play from the blue liners.

One thing I was kind of wondering about was whether the defense would be more compressed at the defensive end in order to bring the opposing defenders further up the ice. Then, when the Avs get control off the puck, the forwards release quickly having more ice to work with since the defenders are further up the ice (away from their defensive end).

I felt it was high risk high reward hockey. Fast upbeat game, long passes etc. Just from what ive gathered, could be wrong and roy could adapt a totally different strategy for nhl level hockey.

Yeah, some of the comments have been along the lines of the system being one that helps the defense. The high risk/high reward part with the long passes seems like it might expose the defense more.

It kind of sounds somewhat similar to Chicago, where the defensemen make quick decisions to move the puck up ice. But it requires good decision makers. In reading Bigras' strengths, it seems like this kind of falls in line with this.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Sounds fun at least. Sacco hockey was something else. :cry:

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I love high tempo offensive play. Win or lose its usually the most entertaining, in my eyes at least.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Honestly, anything beats what sacco was doing. Itll be fun hockey to watch. My college team played a 1 3 1. Requires fast skayers and smart players. Lots of fast breaks, lots of long lead passes, odd man rushes.

The offset is it left us open for the same thing. Its like a hail mary every time you trip up ice except it doesnt only work in video games :)

We have the forward crew to do it but the d is almost as important, maybe even more important.

Most nhl teams ive seen do it have the second d hang a bit on the trip up, incase a bad turn over does happen both d arent too far out of places.

Itll definitepy be fun to watch.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I love high tempo offensive play. Win or lose its usually the most entertaining, in my eyes at least.

i agree , at least when our team was 6th in scoring the one year but we weren't considered much of a threat to win we were still fun to watch.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
One thing I was kind of wondering about was whether the defense would be more compressed at the defensive end in order to bring the opposing defenders further up the ice. Then, when the Avs get control off the puck, the forwards release quickly having more ice to work with since the defenders are further up the ice (away from their defensive end).

If the defense sits further back in the zone, it makes the first pass that much longer and thus more dangerous to execute. Now it's true that the forwards could also sit back in order to help the breakout, but that wouldn't be a very offense-oriented system.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
If the defense sits further back in the zone, it makes the first pass that much longer and thus more dangerous to execute. Now it's true that the forwards could also sit back in order to help the breakout, but that wouldn't be a very offense-oriented system.

The first pass doesn't have to be across ice, though. It could be up the boards, so the forward can grab it and not even break stride.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
The first pass doesn't have to be across ice, though. It could be up the boards, so the forward can grab it and not even break stride.

Well no, but I didn't say it has to be. If you're intentionally keeping your D deep in the zone to draw the forecheckers out, you're opening yourself up to some seriously opportune turnovers. It's not a viable breakout strategy to keep the d-men deep and the forwards high: the distance will always create vulnerabilities.

You have to give the D support, whether they're looking for a chip pass along the boards or a stretch pass across open ice. And with the D playing deep in their zone, that's going to slow down the breakout every time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This will be real basic:

Roy's offensive zone systems are a lot some used in lacrosse. A lot of triangle rotations and quick passing. There will be a good amount of pinching in from the weakside side defensemen. You will see that defensemen move into the high slot quite frequently, which can leave that side open for a team with quick wings and a good transition game. More of a 3-2 forecheck than a 2-1-2, but is in between at times depending on pressure and game conditions.

In the defensive zone it is kind of a sagging zone defensive coverage or basically a much more aggressive box + 1 that leaves points open, but covers the slot extensively. Basically 1 guy goes after the puck, with two guys near the sides of the net, one near the slot and one covering the half boards and strong-side point man near the faceoff dot or top of the circle.

The breakouts vary a ton depending on the pressure, but the overall idea is a top down breakout with the wings around the half boards and the center in the strong side faceoff dot to receive passes. The weakside wing will be in the above the faceoff dots in the middle of the ice. What happens from there depends a lot on the pressure and who receives the pass.

The neutral zone defense isn't a trap, more of a 2-1-2 where the center is constantly attacking with one of the wingers, and the other winger falls back to prevent 3 on 2s. Duchene and MacKinnon with thrive here when turnovers are caused with their speed.

Averick*

Thanks everyone for help explaining this. I very much appreciate it. I'm super excited to see this speed that the Avs have utilized in a system that does so optimally.

Averick*

I was kind of thinking of what happens a lot in soccer when a team bunkers in defensively, even bringing their forwards back to help, where they can lure the other team to creep further up, giving the forwards more room on the counter strike when they gain possession. Yeah, it's not very aggressive but it does utilize speed in that it gives them more ice to work with by inviting the opposing Ds to commit more and more to the offensive end. Simultaneously, it could help the defense by creating congestion.

But now I see it's not really like that.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
This will be real basic:

Roy's offensive zone systems are a lot some used in lacrosse. A lot of triangle rotations and quick passing. There will be a good amount of pinching in from the weakside side defensemen. You will see that defensemen move into the high slot quite frequently, which can leave that side open for a team with quick wings and a good transition game. More of a 3-2 forecheck than a 2-1-2, but is in between at times depending on pressure and game conditions.

In the defensive zone it is kind of a sagging zone defensive coverage or basically a much more aggressive box + 1 that leaves points open, but covers the slot extensively. Basically 1 guy goes after the puck, with two guys near the sides of the net, one near the slot and one covering the half boards and strong-side point man near the faceoff dot or top of the circle.

The breakouts vary a ton depending on the pressure, but the overall idea is a top down breakout with the wings around the half boards and the center in the strong side faceoff dot to receive passes. The weakside wing will be in the above the faceoff dots in the middle of the ice. What happens from there depends a lot on the pressure and who receives the pass.

The neutral zone defense isn't a trap, more of a 2-1-2 where the center is constantly attacking with one of the wingers, and the other winger falls back to prevent 3 on 2s. Duchene and MacKinnon with thrive here when turnovers are caused with their speed.

Strong stuff, thanks! The offensive zone scheme actually seems similar to Quenneville's system. It actually all seems pretty similar to Q's Chicago system except that he's adapted it to suit puck-possession wingers in Hossa and Kane. The triangle passes suit Stastny well and the neutral zone press scheme exposes why O'Reilly is being put on the wing and not Stastny.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's hard to really know what Roy's system is gonna look like. We've only heard a few things from Foote, and from Mack, and I'm also sure it won't be exactly what he implemented with junior players.

I just hope it's a two way system. I'm tried of this high flying circus act offensive approach to generate excitement and boost ticket sales. I want them to start winning, and start being able to go deep into the playoffs.

No more of this three men aggressive forecheck, or roving defenseman that skates into the zone by himself because and has now left all his options behind who are now cutoff. They're going to need to know when they can have two forecheckers be more aggressive, and when they need to sit back a little to clog the neutral zone with the center high on the point to force turnovers.

Even Chicago played a two way game, and also had much much better defenseman. If they Avs want to implement their style, they're gonna have to make sure they do it right, and with the right personell rather than expecting EJ and some more one dimensional smaller offensive guys to play the right way as a D unit.

Averick*

It's hard to really know what Roy's system is gonna look like. We've only heard a few things from Foote, and from Mack, and I'm also sure it won't be exactly what he implemented with junior players.

I just hope it's a two way system. I'm tried of this high flying circus act offensive approach to generate excitement and boost ticket sales. I want them to start winning, and start being able to go deep into the playoffs.

No more of this three men aggressive forecheck, or roving defenseman that skates into the zone by himself because and has now left all his options behind who are now cutoff. They're going to need to know when they can have two forecheckers be more aggressive, and when they need to sit back a little to clog the neutral zone with the center high on the point to force turnovers.

Even Chicago played a two way game, and also had much much better defenseman. If they Avs want to implement their style, they're gonna have to make sure they do it right, and with the right personell rather than expecting EJ and some more one dimensional smaller offensive guys to play the right way as a D unit.

Perhaps something can be gleamed by the kind of player they drafted at 32. Player profiles of Bigras typically say he's good at avoiding trouble and he's judicious about rushing up ice.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I've had the chance to watch the Remparts whenever they visited Moncton. Not sure who will be doing the PP, but... usually the PP was a shooting gallery. Not fancy passes, but get it to the point and let it rip.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Did Sacco do anything differently with the US team at Worlds? I know he was terrible with us so I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how the US team was successful under him at all.

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown
Well Stastny was the best center on the US team and he's the third best center on the Avs.

Second best, and close to Duchene. Just because O'Reilly is excellent defensively and has been a nice surprise offensively does not mean that he's surpassed Stastny just yet. Duchene isn't light years ahead, either, and no one brings consistency like Stastny does.

Plus, O'Reilly plays winger now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Second best, and close to Duchene. Just because O'Reilly is excellent defensively and has been a nice surprise offensively does not mean that he's surpassed Stastny just yet. Duchene isn't light years ahead, either, and no one brings consistency like Stastny does.

Plus, O'Reilly plays winger now.

Are you sure you're talking about the Stastny from the last few years and not his first couple? He has not been consistent at all.

Duchene was light years more consistent than Stastny last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->