Xmradio or Sirius

Bleifooss

I was wondering, until last year Sirius Canada and XM Radio Canada both provided channel for NHL play-by-play. Is it only XM Radio this year since I recall they signed a deal with the NHL way back.

Thanks

Tress

Jul 21, 2005
Brighton, MA
XM and Sirius share rights on the games this season. Afterwards, XM has the exclusive rights for the next 8 years. There is no word yet if Sirius will still keep broadcasting the NHL Live! 2 hour show after their contract expires.

Skroob*

XM and Sirius share rights on the games this season. Afterwards, XM has the exclusive rights for the next 8 years. There is no word yet if Sirius will still keep broadcasting the NHL Live! 2 hour show after their contract expires.

also to note, XM has a 24hr hockey channel. nice stuff.

/Hoo-hoo

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!

I would assume that it would go away once the NHL deal is over with NHL.com probably picking up XM's equivalent of the show. With Sirius picking up NASCAR at the first of the year, losing the NHL to XM isn't that much of an issue since probably only a tiny percentage of their subscribers got Sirius because they had the NHL (It was one of the reasons why I chose Sirius, that and having the EPL.). NASCAR will add a hell of a lot more subscribers than having the NHL ever did.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
having had both services, i will bring up something that i haven't seen mentioned yet:

xm has channels dedicated to airing games. channels 205-209 are exclusively on the platform for airing hockey games, meaning that there are no shows that are interrupted.

on sirius, it's whereever they could fit the game. a team could be on the courttv channel one night and on a completely different channel the other night. sure, you can set the game alert, but it's kind of stupid to take out your own channels to air games, isn't it? not to mention that not all games are carried on all nights. they went about a week between broadcasting bruins games (that were actually on tv and had radio coverage, i looked into it).

xm > sirius as far as sports coverage goes.

Cmoneyflyguy

Jul 13, 2005
Wayne, Pa
XM's music programming is awful
Sirirus' programming rocks.
Not worth switching IMO
I wish thye'd just merge and get it over with

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
having had both services, i will bring up something that i haven't seen mentioned yet:

xm has channels dedicated to airing games. channels 205-209 are exclusively on the platform for airing hockey games, meaning that there are no shows that are interrupted.

on sirius, it's whereever they could fit the game. a team could be on the courttv channel one night and on a completely different channel the other night. sure, you can set the game alert, but it's kind of stupid to take out your own channels to air games, isn't it? not to mention that not all games are carried on all nights. they went about a week between broadcasting bruins games (that were actually on tv and had radio coverage, i looked into it).

xm > sirius as far as sports coverage goes.

Hoo Hoo I invented sports Robin...Tell em Fred!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sirius has commercial-free music, XM does not... 'nuff said.

The XM music channels I listen to have no commercials. (Promos, yes, but no commercials.)

XM 204 has 24x7 talk (and/or play-by-play). The M-F schedule is (from memory):

Morning Show 6-9am ET (repeated 9-12n)
Power Play 12-3p ET
In the Slot 3-6p ET -- Phil Esposito (from 4-6)
Pregame 6p-whenever
PBP (one to two games each night)
Post game show whenever-2am ET
And repeats of post game show, etc. for the overnight.

Weekends include the NHL Alumni hour (11-12n ET).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
unless your a howard freak xm is just fine. i have no problems with the music or anything else. sirius has done a better job marketing itself, thats it. you are not getting substandard anything by going to xm.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sirius has commercial-free music, XM does not... 'nuff said.

Sirius will be at some point because they are hemmoraging money. XM does have it although it is very minimal, but they still have 478,214X better music selection than terrestial radio. Actually, I think I've heard 2 commercials on music channels in the last 2 weeks.

XM also spends money on its technology while Sirius is giving an insane amount of money to it's content ($500M for Howard and he only works 3 hours, 4 days a week and gets 3 months of vacation a year). The only time I lose XM's signals is when I am in my car and I am driving through a heavily wooded area, or I am directly in front of a building that blocks the signal that comes from the south.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
3 hours a day? Its more like 5 hours a day.. plus it replays all day on Howard 100 so you can catch it whenever.

I could also catch them every other week when he goes on vacation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->