Speculation: XLIV - Nylander's Wednesday or Thursday Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He's going to sign. If Babcock says that today. ... He knows what's up. Clearly the media doesn't. He's saying read between the lines Willy... the media stuff means nothing... we want you playing here.

The media have got me speculating too... I'm guilty of that... but let's get Nylander signed up and move on. Its reassuring at least to me to hear that. It's the best thing you're going to get for a source.

I don't see why Dubas and Babcock would continue all this talk if they didn't really want him here.

I see two possible scenarios here

Scenario 1:
Babcock is doing lip service to make sure that players on the other team do not put leafs on their NTC; and that it is still safe for players to play in Toronto. babcock knows nylander is not coming so he is trying to ease the situation

Scenario 2:
nylander is coming; and kadri/(someone else) is being traded to make room

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nylander chose the wrong time to be born.

Is this a blip, or a signaling that the shrinking goaltender is working?

There are 9 or 10 players on 100 point paces.

When is the last time that happened?

This year 100 point players may not be anything more than the changes the league has mandated to goalie equipment, and it will be interesting if this year's crop of free agents cash in before the GM's get a handle on this.
Maybe but my bet is that clubs will factor those stats into bargaining positions in the next round of RFA contracts if they materially affect stats by the end of the year

Reactions: kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Unlikely given the package. They'd have gotten more if they kept him and used him as a rental after he raked points with Aho. He would have also gotten more regardless if they valued him higher.

Pu + some picks speaks otherwise.

It's clear they didn't see him fit in their plans moving forward.

Tough to know for sure what return Carolina might've received by waiting, but I believe Skinner has a full NMC. Think he also can't sign an extension just yet (or at least one with full term), but I could be wrong on that. I'd guess he re-signs there though if he was willing to waive, unless the two sides have very different ideas when it comes time to talk contract.

Reactions: Havoc

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're ignoring the increase in the salary cap and changes in contract structure to make your point, Mess. It's not an accurate reflection (percentage of cap would make more sense)

Also, Crosby was making double digits when they won. Just saying ;)

Sidney Crosby's contract: The breakdown | CBC Sports

(I know it's salary and not cap hit)

Salary doesn't count for Cap hit purposes.. Tavares is getting $15.9 mil salary the highest in the NHL this year ..:wg:

Malkin @ $9.5 mil + Crosby @ $8.7 and Kessel at $6.8 mil were Pens 3 highest AAV players = $22 mil combined X 3F

Tavares @ $11 mil + Matthews @ $11 mil = same $22 mil cap X 2F + Nylander @ $6.7 mil as Leafs 3 highest AAV players = $28.7 mil

Now what about Marner @ $ 9 mil ??

I'm not ignoring anything when it comes to how ominous Leafs cap situation will be after this year.. That is why Leafs Cup window is wide open this year while AM and MM are on their ELC and we need Nylander at $6.5-$6.9 mil back and playing ASAP.

After this year that Cup window after all those big cap hits kick in is going to make it really hard to keep depth around the stars.

So all things considered it would be stupid of the Leafs to sit Nylander for the year when this is their best competitive hope to win the CUP.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Personally, I don't read anything into Babcock's comments. He's saying exactly what a coach should say: Confident Nylander will be back, excited to get him into the lineup, it's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood.

He won't look like a fool if Nylander doesn't sign or is shipped out of town, he'll simply say he's really disappointed things didn't work out, wishes "Willy" the best and it's time to move on.

Reactions: Duckrider

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
yeah babcock is in the media right now, knowing he has a big chance he is going to look like an utter fool in a couple of days. If he said nothing that is a sign a trade or sitting out is a real possibility. Sitting out would also still fit if babcocks comments are aimed at Willy and Dubas in a "cmon guys sort this out ASAP" kind of way, giving them the hurry up

How do you get the from, him saying. He knows facts, talks to dubas every day. Don't confuse that with opinion.

If he were unsure still he would say what he said earlier in week which was he was betting on he loves hockey, and a great guy and team mate. It's all over but official pen to paper in my opinion.

Do recall I said there was a flight from Stockholm to arrive at JFK today 925am. Itll be today or tomorrow. I'm thinking Babcock was told it was done deal just working on paper work and quirks which can take time.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Babs is just putting pressure on Dubas. "Either sign or him or get something for him. Get er done boys!".

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Obviously you can critique the current situation and say what could have been done in the past to make it better.

However for the last bunch of posts you have been throwing out hypothetical situations that are more then likely not anywhere close to what could have happened. Also saying that Dubas has dropped the ball without any concrete facts either way. What if Nylander is not budging from 8 mil AAV.

Why would Nylander or Marner sign last year ? it makes no sense. Blaming Dubas for this also makes no sense (for all we know he offered deals last year and they were turned down).

first of all there are not "FACTS" available except the only "FACT" Nylander is not under contract

everything else on all the Nylander threads is opinions, guesswork and conjecture surrounded by fanboy optimisim and nylander haters pessimism.

you claim that my hypothetical scenarios are "more then likely not anywhere close to what could have happened"; alright; do you have "facts" supporting that argument?

WHy would nylander or marner sign last year? where did I say last year? i talked about summer this season. not sure where you are bringing that from.....

I am posting hypothetical scenarios is because thats the only thing one can do in absence of the so called "FACTS"; if you want to just talk "facts" and not hypothetical then perhaps a good idea for you would be to wait for the "facts" to emerge before engaging in hockey talk.

member 262271

Fully agree with this.

All these “insiders” are pissing in the wind. Coach Babcock knows more than McKenzie or any of them.
The issue with the trade option has always been the return, it likely won't be enough to force that issue therefore it's a weak talking point.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
very much so, but friedman gets a pretty verifiable fact wrong there. Another possibility is the quote of friedman in the article is wrong. But I guess more evidence these "insiders" don't even know basics these days
I don't really like a lot of analysts. I really liked PJ Stock before he got canned. The guy made sense but maybe that is why he isn't around anymore.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Maybe but my bet is that clubs will factor those stats into bargaining positions in the next round of RFA contracts if they materially affect stats by the end of the year

Yup.

If there are say 10 100 point guys this year and there were 10 80 point guys 5 years ago then teams will try lessening the importance of that 100 point by saying it's no different then when the leading scorer had 80 in that the leading scorer is the leading scorer and no different then adjusting for cap hit % teams will also start using leading scorer is a leading scorer logic regardless of the total.

And it makes sense in that if next season suddenly become like the mid 80's and 30 guys scored over 100 points the cap doesn't change because of that so the cap % needs to be adjusted for both financial inflation and scoring total inflation.

Reactions: ULF_55 and kb

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Or think of it this way, hockey is not a game of chess where you sacrifice a Queen for a sure fire checkmate. We can easily sign Nylander to a stupid contract, have our full team go into the playoffs, and still lose. Then where are we?

where did i say sign nylander to his ridiculous ask? i am saying if he isn't willing to budge or sign a reasonable bridge trade him

making him sit an entire year is a waste of an asset and sends a wrong signal to the players as to what the Leafs management would do.... this is not a "safe enviornment" promised by Lou/Babcock two to three years ago

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Babs is just putting pressure on Dubas. "Either sign or him or get something for him. Get er done boys!".
Even though he said he is doing this while talking to Dubas, and that the Leafs as an organization feel he will be a lifetime Leafer?

That seems very excessive to say if not true.

Reactions: kindalaidback

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
so basically if no waivers the leafs are going to paper transaction a player down only to call a player back up when applicable. really 2 full tweets to say nothing.

Is nobody waiver exempt? Can't send down a Johnsson or Dermott? Waiving Holl seems like the most logical way around that.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
so basically if no waivers the leafs are going to paper transaction a player down only to call a player back up when applicable. really 2 full tweets to say nothing.
Well I think it's more if a waiver eligible player is sent down tomorrow, it guarantees Willy is coming back

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
How do you get the from, him saying. He knows facts, talks to dubas every day. Don't confuse that with opinion.

If he were unsure still he would say what he said earlier in week which was he was betting on he loves hockey, and a great guy and team mate. It's all over but official pen to paper in my opinion.

Do recall I said there was a flight from Stockholm to arrive at JFK today 925am. Itll be today or tomorrow. I'm thinking Babcock was told it was done deal just working on paper work and quirks which can take time.

im on the same side as you here Just allowing for the possibility nylander may still be negotiating and things can still go sideways.

From babs comments there is just no way a trade is a legit possibility as of right now

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Babs has always positioned it that he has communicated that he doesn't like surprises. Good on him to be passively aggressive against Dubas. Will toughen him up.

TheMidlifeCrisisGuy

Nov 26, 2018
Babs is clearly trying to send a message to Dubas.

I don't know why else he'd go out of his way to say Willy's going to be a career Leaf when we can barely get him signed after his ELC.

Reactions: TimeZone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->