XFL is Back

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
BattleHawks is the level of goofy I expected so I’m okay with it. I don’t expect the league to last regardless. The logo actually isn’t that bad.

I’ll end up getting a shirt because it’ll end up being a novelty.

Sep 19, 2008
The league will last with solid financial backing which Vince has. Expect it to be at least two years maybe more. They learned from last time. This isn't wrestling on the field...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I figured Tampa Bay you could at least give them some kind of nautical theme. When I think of Tampa Bay I don't think of snakes. Nor do I think about wildcats in LA.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The NY team playing at MetLife is a horrible idea because a few thousand fans in an 80k stadium and the pictures of it all over social media are going to be a gigantic black eye.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NY team playing at MetLife is a horrible idea because a few thousand fans in an 80k stadium and the pictures of it all over social media are going to be a gigantic black eye.
Not to mention how difficult it is to get to the stadium. But they had Wrestlemania there so Vince has a relationship with them. Same links made to the team in Tampa.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't get the point of this at all?

20 years ago it was presented as an NFL alternative where the players could still murder each other.

Now there's no stark difference, because they definitely aint gonna be destroying each other with everything we've learned about CTE since they failed.

What point is there to watch?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

20 years ago it was presented as an NFL alternative where the players could still murder each other.

Now there's no stark difference, because they definitely aint gonna be destroying each other with everything we've learned about CTE since they failed.

So you can gamble on it.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

More to the point, 20 years ago it was piggybacking off the WWE’s popularity during the Attitude era, with the same branding and marketing (sex, vulgarity, violence, etc.)

What’s the marketing angle this time? I realize there’s now a kitsch, retro appeal now to the original XFL, almost a certain fondness in spite of how hard it failed. But there was a reason it failed, the actual product was boring, almost unwatchable football. Same issue that every failed ‘spring league’ has had.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
So you can gamble on it.

I can’t imagine anyone but fools betting on the original XFL. Results seemed largely random, rules were changing weekly or over the course of individual games. There would’ve been calls to refund bets in some cases.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t imagine anyone but fools betting on the original XFL. Results seemed largely random, rules were changing weekly or over the course of individual games. There would’ve been calls to refund bets in some cases.

If you look at people who stuck with the AAF though, that’s overlap on that Venn diagram.

The old XFL, who knows. But the new one, where sports betting is so much bigger now, that’s where they’ll make their hay.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
More to the point, 20 years ago it was piggybacking off the WWE’s popularity during the Attitude era, with the same branding and marketing (sex, vulgarity, violence, etc.)

What’s the marketing angle this time? I realize there’s now a kitsch, retro appeal now to the original XFL, almost a certain fondness in spite of how hard it failed. But there was a reason it failed, the actual product was boring, almost unwatchable football. Same issue that every failed ‘spring league’ has had.

I think they're just trying the same thing again with a recognizable name because money. Like, maybe if they try enough times one of these second-tier leagues will stick, because obviously the NFL is a profit machine and they're hoping there's enough overflow interest for a second league. Doubt it works, but I'd guess that's kinda the logic.

Doesn't help that they seemingly put Charlie Kelly in charge of naming the teams. "Give me Dragons! Battle Hawks- we will we will rock you!"

Reactions: Bob Richards

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think with social media and what not, XFL has better chance of working in 2019 then 1999.

But I am baffled why they went to markets with NFL teams.

vtmx

Aug 27, 2019
Prague, CZE

Man... I really want the XFL to actually succeed this time, but those team names and logos are so bland. All of them seem like teams made in Create a Team in Madden, aside from the Roughnecks -- that's just a bootleg, off-brand version of the old Oilers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think with social media and what not, XFL has better chance of working in 2019 then 1999.

Playing in nfl stadiums with crowds around 20k is a bad look. Ideally target mls stadiums where it looks full. But not every city they went to has that.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

I was floored that San Diego didn’t get a team.

St. Louis and San Diego are the obvious first two choices. Two cities that got screwed by the NFL and love football. How do you not go to both those places?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->