XFL is Back

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Based on the last...15 years or so of WWE's existence, old and out of touch is putting it mildly.

I'm halfway expecting the 2020 XFL Champions to be quarterbacked by a big, long haired Samoan dude since apparently literally everything in Vince's life needs to revolve around Samoans.

One of the more amazing things I remember from the first iteration of the XFL was that Vegas wouldn't make lines on the games. That will hamper the popularity of the league without gambling, fantasy or stat whacking.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
exactly

and what's the appeal now? everyone stands for the anthem and no "thugs"

I remember when the XFL was announced there was always one or two kids that wanted to play "XFL rules", which really meant no rules at all and you could just assault other people. It was dangerous and dumb, but it made it feel like the XFL was the most badass, hardcore, extreme shit on the planet.

Now, playing by the XFL rules means that you have to have a national anthem and nobody gets to kneel. lol. Nobody is going to care.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Um....yeah.

Punk was day one pushed to the moon. Punk was rarely mid card talent his entire time in the E and had programs with every top star who helped get him even more over. If your going by storylines then yes, Vince held him back, but in reality his refusal to "carry the torch" and "pass the torch" when he had the spot to do it is what actually did him in. Old Phil is a selfish, paranoid, human being.

For starters I'm SHOCKED you're insulting CM Punk, whos from Chicago. Thats ironic.

And lolololol Punk was the absolute perfect choice to follow in the line of Hogan, Stone Cold and Cena as the face of the operation. He never had a chance to carry the torch because McMahon never put him in a Wrestlemania main event. Punk had everything you'd pretty much want for your franchise guy, everything from wrestling ability, charisma, fan appeal and personality.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I remember when the XFL was announced there was always one or two kids that wanted to play "XFL rules", which really meant no rules at all and you could just assault other people. It was dangerous and dumb, but it made it feel like the XFL was the most badass, hardcore, extreme **** on the planet.

Now, playing by the XFL rules means that you have to have a national anthem and nobody gets to kneel. lol. Nobody is going to care.

I'll be a 100% honest, i only wanted to play XFL rules because the one kid who always brought his football to school actually had an XFL ball, and i thought that **** looked awesome.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
For starters I'm SHOCKED you're insulting CM Punk, whos from Chicago. Thats ironic.

And lolololol Punk was the absolute perfect choice to follow in the line of Hogan, Stone Cold and Cena as the face of the operation. He never had a chance to carry the torch because McMahon never put him in a Wrestlemania main event. Punk had everything you'd pretty much want for your franchise guy, everything from wrestling ability, charisma, fan appeal and personality.
Wat? Brooks had a title match and a match with Taker. Those are main event matches no matter what Phil Brooks wants to complain about in any YouTube shoot after the fact. The fact he never ended the show in the last match is irrelevant, it's friggin WM, it's not like people aren't watching him regardless.

As for Punk being on the top tier, that's open for discussion. Nobody is discrediting his in ring talent, so long as he had somebody willing to work with him. I think his promos are extremely over rated and we're constructed too try hard after the "unscripted" pipe bomb where everything had to come across as a complete shoot and had to be shocking. It worked for awhile, then the shocking live shoot became passe. Punk killed it because, just like garbage wrestling, once you keep throwing it out there every week it's gets old, and he just didn't either have the talent or the screen writers just didn't have the skill to keep it fresh.

The E pushed Punk. They pushed him way over his talent level. They gave him a long run on top with the belt. They gave him the torch, then found out he was a complete diva and washed their hands of him. And no, I can't put him on the level of a Hogan or Austin, he was never larger then life. He was a great worker who had a great gimmick at first who was the IWC darling for years before he arrived who got over being "edgy", believed his own hype, then found out the IWC is a small niche compared to the huge demo the E actually caters to, and sobbed his way back home a richer man then the guy who was wrestling in garbage feds in basketball shorts. He went as far as he could.

Maybe he should have been doing more make a wishes then punching fans on camera.

And btw, Punk blocked me on his Twitter for months when I asked him if he was waiting for Luke Gallows to run into his UFC debut with a chair. That's taking yourself a little too seriously.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
exactly

and what's the appeal now? everyone stands for the anthem and no "thugs"

Absolutely. Every time kneeling or an arrest makes the news, McMahon will come out and remind everyone that the XFL won't allow kneeling or criminals. Which will probably be re-tweeted by his buddy Trump, as well as other right wing media.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ebersol is at least bringing in Polian and Polamalu. Still insanely stupid to start in a year tho, even if he wants to try and beat out XFL 2.0

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ebersol wasn't trying to beat Vince. Vince moved up his announcement once he found out what Ebersol's plans were.

Ebersol is going to have his players signed to 2 year deals with options, and out-clauses for the CFL and NFL. So, once they're in the AAF, they can't go to the XFL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Dallas XFL team is going to announce today that they're hiring Bob Stoops as GM/Coach.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They’re going to get a better TV deal than AAF. 2 over air games per week, others on cable. That sounds to me like they’ll be on Fox.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just as before.... I cannot imagine the XFL being popular whatsoever. When you remove the "edge" from the league, I don't see what exactly the appeal is. The original XFL was so appealing because it was billed as "cut throat, no holds barred, smashmouth" type of league. I don't see the selling point here.

They're trying to appeal to the tiny portion of football fans who are actually SO upset by players kneeling for the anthem (and racists, to be quite honest) and live their life SO strongly by their political ideology that they actually refuse to watch the NFL.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Just as before.... I cannot imagine the XFL being popular whatsoever. When you remove the "edge" from the league, I don't see what exactly the appeal is. The original XFL was so appealing because it was billed as "cut throat, no holds barred, smashmouth" type of league. I don't see the selling point here.

They're trying to appeal to the tiny portion of football fans who are actually SO upset by players kneeling for the anthem (and racists, to be quite honest) and live their life SO strongly by their political ideology that they actually refuse to watch the NFL.

I mean, the nations biggest cable "news" channel caters exclusively to that crowd, so I guess there's a market there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->