XFL is Back

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
evidence-is-mounting-that-vince-mcmahon-is-planning-to-revive-the-most-radical-football-league-ever--the-xfl.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This will fail.

Ultimately it will depend on what his business model is. The landscape has changed a lot since 2001 in terms of how people access content. He is no longer at the mercy of the big Networks to distribute his football product.

That being said, I wouldn't be in any hurry to invest in his new league.

Reactions: vtmx and Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I love how the moment Vince goes over the 1 billion dollar mark in total worth, his first response is to go out and stupidly blow some money on a vanity project. It's almost admirable to an extent.

If they plan on marketing this to the lowest common denominator, like those "keep the politics out of muh sports! muh flag!" garbage trump supporting buffoons, it will crash in burn. By 2020, Trumpism will be dead and no one will give a damn.

If you're that starved for football, you're better off watching the CFL. If you think people are willing to tolerate crappy football, then you clearly haven't understood why the NFL's ratings have been on a decline in the last few years.

Last edited:

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Wow, I never thought this would happen again. Looks like I was wrong. I'll probably watch at least a few games and see how it goes this time around.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yay!

We can again have an XFL team in Chicago that no one follows or watches!

XFL was joke first time around and will be so again

Must be nice to be so rich you can literally throw hundreds of millions away

Reactions: Lurked4Yearz

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I love how the moment Vince goes over the 1 billion dollar mark in total worth, his first response is to go out and stupidly blow some money on a vanity project. It's almost admirable to an extent.

If they plan on marketing this to the lowest common denominator, like those "keep the politics out of muh sports! muh flag!" garbage trump supporting buffoons, it will crash in burn. By 2020, Trumpism will be dead and no one will give a damn.

If you're that starved for football, you're better off watching the CFL. If you think people are willing to tolerate crappy football, then you clearly haven't understood why the NFL's ratings have been on a decline in the last few years.
The man doesn't have too many years left and money is no good when you are dead.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It'll be interesting to see if they learned from their mistakes in 2001. The 30 for 30 documentary was a fun watch. There were production issues between how Ebersol wanted to present the game versus how McMahon wanted to do it. We'll see if Vince can keep his hands off the football side of things.

One aspect that the documentary showed was how rushed the training camps were. They were already working with below average talent, but they didn't even give them time to really practice together before trotting them out on national TV.

USFL was before my time, but it seemed like that had gained some traction in some markets before it tried to expand too quickly. I still think there'd be a niche market for spring football, if done right.....which is obviously a huge caveat.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Awesome!

NFL deep in a hole, ratings plummeting because of their players antics and bosses cowardness to stand up to it. Perfect time for Vince to walk right in with a respectable football league.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Vince has been over the 1 billion mark already - happened years ago. Most of his net worth is WWE stock, which obviously goes up and down. But at this point he's probably bored and figured why not try again.

Also... 2024****

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
At minimum already it appears Vince has learned two things;

1. Don't try and get the league running within a year. Leads to less time for teams to actually get their **** together, have camp, players learn the system, etc. Given the rumors have this starting in 2020 (assuming in the same window the old league had calendar wise), that gives them a full 2 years to get the ship ready for sailing, or so to speak

2. If you have a platform for your league, it won't die painfully. What ultimately killed the XFL on the first go round was the fact once NBC dumped it, it had nowhere to go. Theoretically, if that were to happen again this time, Vince would have a pretty good amount of alternative options to get his product out there, unlike in 2001.

I mean, the Arena League is somehow still kicking despite dying like what, twice in the last decade already? It gets by alright on mostly being broadcasted on streaming stuff/ESPN 45

Reactions: Epsilon

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm listening to the press conference.
8 teams - 40 man rosters.
I believe he said 10 game season starting in late January/ early February.
"No politics or social issues"
League owns all teams. (No franchises)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Holy shit.

High schoolers can bypass college and enter the XFL.

Vince has his golden ticket right there

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Vince says the XFL is shooting to have games no more than two hours in length.

How in the **** do you plan on doing that? Soccer style constant running clock? Gutting the rules? (really don't like that whole "simplify the game talk i'm hearing out of this conference call)

The one thing i do buy in all of this is Vince is legit in his sentiment on wanting to be politics free. He's very anal about that when it comes to the WWE and he's been on record multiple times in wanting to give the XFL another go, even before the 30 for 30 came out.
-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->