XFL cancels season; UPD - XFL files for bankruptcy

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Though the pandemic played a part in this, this league lasted shorter than the AAF in terms of number of games played.

Last 2 spring leagues didn't make it through a single season.

I think it will be another generation untill another one is attempted.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Though the pandemic played a part in this, this league lasted shorter than the AAF in terms of number of games played.

Last 2 spring leagues didn't make it through a single season.

I think it will be another generation untill another one is attempted.

While I think spring football is clearly not something that is getting support right now, I think because the virus partly led to this someone will make a third attempt in the near future. Once that league fails to complete a season I can see the idea being put on hold for an indefinite amount of time.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
My heart aches for St. Louis. This is the second time they've lost a football team in 5 years.

I think the NFL will look at launching a true minor league (ala MiLB, G League and AHL/ECHL) that plays at the same time as the main NFL. I could see St. Louis getting a Kansas City Chiefs farm team.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
My heart aches for St. Louis. This is the second time they've lost a football team in 5 years.

I think the NFL will look at launching a true minor league (ala MiLB, G League and AHL/ECHL) that plays at the same time as the main NFL. I could see St. Louis getting a Kansas City Chiefs farm team.
It is a bummer. They were going to open up the upper bowl at the dome. They were going to have 60,000 fans for XFL games in St Louis. Would of made National news for that. I thought the XFL was off to a good start. Quality of play was good. Hopefully he reboots it the following season.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri

I dont foresee that happening ever. There is currently a multi billion dollar lawsuit between STL and the NFL and all 32 owners. From the preliminary hearings its not looking good at all for the NFL. In order for STL to get any level of NFL team the lawsuit would need to go away and the city has no incentive to drop the suit.

Additionally, with the way the league and Kroenke treated the city with regards to a new Rams stadium, I doubt the city would be willing to give any tax incentives for a new stadium. The new owner would have to pay 100% of the costs, making a team in STL much more expensive than other cities.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I dont foresee that happening ever. There is currently a multi billion dollar lawsuit between STL and the NFL and all 32 owners. From the preliminary hearings its not looking good at all for the NFL. In order for STL to get any level of NFL team the lawsuit would need to go away and the city has no incentive to drop the suit.

Additionally, with the way the league and Kroenke treated the city with regards to a new Rams stadium, I doubt the city would be willing to give any tax incentives for a new stadium. The new owner would have to pay 100% of the costs, making a team in STL much more expensive than other cities.

Incentive would be for STL to get the minor league affiliate of the Chiefs. STL will take any football they can get at this point.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Incentive would be for STL to get the minor league affiliate of the Chiefs. STL will take any football they can get at this point.

Some of the people sure, the city as a whole is a different story. Supporting the XFL was a way to be anti NFL. If the NFL came back, especially as a quasi minor league team, the support would not be there. As has been discussed over and over on these forums, support for a top level team and support for a minor league team are not the same thing. If STL considers itself worthy or a top level team, which they do, the fans arent going to settle for a minor league team.

While it could be argued the XFL is a minor league in a sense, its not tied to the NFL and doesnt work like minor leagues do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->