Xfinity is being sneaky with NHL Center Ice free preview

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Xfinity is offering NHL Center Ice as 'free preview' but they have it hidden like an Easter egg for you to see it.

You need an X1 box and then when the games start you need to hit the C button on your remote. Then a list of games will pop up ( select NHL ) and then scroll down to the game you want and select watch.

The free preview is not offering games in HD as far as I can see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Xfinity is offering NHL Center Ice as 'free preview' but they have it hidden like an Easter egg for you to see it.

You need an X1 box and then when the games start you need to hit the C button on your remote. Then a list of games will pop up ( select NHL ) and then scroll down to the game you want and select watch.

The free preview is not offering games in HD as far as I can see.

Cablevision isn't even offering Center Ice this year from what they told me. I bought NHL.tv instead so I'm hoping that's as good.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The free preview is almost always (if not always) in SD only. I can deal with that; it's free. It's probably to encourage people to buy the real thing, and to not piss off paying customers. Frankly, the only times I'm interested in CI is when they have free previews: at the start of the season to nostalgiawatch former Bruins, and at the end of the season when I hate watch the teams that are about to knock us out of the playoff

FYI, it's on FiOS too. Channel 1478 is in the free preview zone.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I have a subscription to NHL.TV. Their blackout rules suck. I'll probably drop it if I have to listen to the game on 98.5 anyways.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I'd pay more if they'd put more than 1 game in HD, but they don't so I won't be buying it.

THIS! And I really don't care what their purported reasons are for only 1 HD channel. You can't even purchase low def television sets anymore. The providers have to solve whatever their problems are with carrying more than one HD channel in their sports packages.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I have direct TV and for the most part am not a fan of it, but I did notice that all of the games were available in HD last night. If I get center Ice I will keep Direct, not sure if NHL is worth spending any money on anymore though.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
They still haven't learned to preview it in HD so people might actually want to pay for it.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I have direct TV and for the most part am not a fan of it, but I did notice that all of the games were available in HD last night. If I get center Ice I will keep Direct, not sure if NHL is worth spending any money on anymore though.

Free center ice till November 2nd on Direct TV

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I had this problem the other night watching the leafs. Even once you leave the free preview and try to go back hitting the last button it doesn't work. You need to hit the c again and navigate that way.

I hate Comcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad