Xbox Live Charge on CC

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So I just noticed I have an Xbox Live (annual?) Subscription charge on a credit account (the account of an expired credit card).

It's possible this is a recurring subscription from many years ago (that I have been paying annually for many years) that used to be legitimate but I have gone through all my emails, I have gone through my little brothers emails and I cannot find an account with Xbox Live Gold Membership. So I do not know the account name. I know neither me nor my brother has had an Xbox for 2 years.

I have never had to deal with anything like this before. Does anyone have a good step by step guide of how to work through this?

I'm thinking of phoning Microsoft Tuesday morning but I'm not really sure what to expect - I'm guessing they will ask me for the email/account associated with the charge and I don't have that information?

I thought about disputing the charge immediately or paying the fee and then shutting down the account (it's an expired card account, I have other accounts/cards and $68 isn't a huge amount of money - I just want to get rid of this problem) but I figured I'd ask here and look things up tomorrow/Monday before I do something rash. I just want what looks like automatic billing(?) to stop.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Wouldn't any automatic renewal be canceled just by virtue of the CC no longer being valid?

I can remember having a hard time canceling my subscription back when my 360 was collecting dust; if I recall at the time there was no way to do it through the actual Xbox interface and you had to jump through some hoops online. Ended up having to call them directly.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Wouldn't any automatic renewal be canceled just by virtue of the CC no longer being valid?

I can remember having a hard time canceling my subscription back when my 360 was collecting dust; if I recall at the time there was no way to do it through the actual Xbox interface and you had to jump through some hoops online. Ended up having to call them directly.

Apparently not because I just got a charge and my card expired a long time ago.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I would be calling Visa/Mastercard/et al. before Microsoft if I was getting charges on a dead CC.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I would be calling Visa/Mastercard/et al. before Microsoft if I was getting charges on a dead CC.

Alright. There have been no other charges. It looks like one happened last year at the same time (now) and for some reason I paid it - but I definitely did not have an Xbox at that time (neither did my brother).

So I should phone them and just say "why is an expired card being charged"?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Call your credit card company first and dispute it.

I thought I'd update this - I did call the CC company a few days after I made the thread and then contacted Microsoft the same day.

Microsoft removed the defunct credit card from the account, they refunded the charge and the CC company said this could never happen again.

I'm thinking of just 'destroying' the account (IDK the terminology) but for now I've just been monitoring - seems like the Xbox charge was the only thing that ever appeared since the card expired (with no auto-renewal).

As an aside related to Microsoft (and the reason I remembered I made this thread) - I remember 2-ish(?) years ago I lost my Xbox music/video/TV seasons that I purchased - around the same time they were massively overhauling Xbox stuff (Xbox Videos became a Movie/TV app on Microsoft store). I was looking to buy a show I couldn't find on iTunes, Netflix, Amazon or anywhere else so I decided to log on to the Microsoft store - and all my purchases were recovered (without having to do anything).

Not a bad month. My opinion of Microsoft has changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad